Author Topic: Stray has bad ear  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Stray has bad ear
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 13:00:35 PM »
Hi Lynn,

Think we are going to be ok -
He had his first antibiotic last night and another one this morning.
I picked and cleaned last night and i dont think we have a AH (all i seem to be doing is cleaning up puss at the moment, see other thread !!)

Will keep close eye on it.
Thank you for your advice and help

xxxxxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »
thats what i wondered from your descrip and as you say they need to be drained or he'll have a crinkly ear.  Normally they get drained and if i remember a small volume of (corticosteriod im sure) gets injected back in which helps prevent the refill altho some still do. 

(dont quote me on that drug but i am near certain it was voren or dexadreson etc that was used, both are steriods)

more unusual for a cat to have an A H tho..very common in doggies

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 20:51:42 PM »
do you mean the actual pinna michelle ? if its just infected/abcess then the antibiotics will be fine but if its an aural haematoma then it will need drained.

Now in English please Lynn  :rofl: :rofl:

Actually i think i know what you mean and yes i think it is a aural haematoma. I have seen one of these before that was left untreated and cat ended up with a Collieflower (sp) ear !
He has deff been fighting as there is a bite and a scab
He wouldnt eat today so hasnt had his antibiotic so i am going to pop him alone to vets tomorrow.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 16:10:41 PM »
It may be better getting him in and having the vet do it  :sick:  I know when Boris had an abcess, he had to be knocked out first, also, it may be a good idea for him to have an antibiotic jab to get it into his system quickly.  I hope he's alright.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 15:20:39 PM »
do you mean the actual pinna michelle ? if its just infected/abcess then the antibiotics will be fine but if its an aural haematoma then it will need drained.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Stray has bad ear
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »
My stray cat has got a really nasty ear.
Looks like a bite whixh is now infected - ear has ballooned up.

I have rang my vet and he is going to leave out some antibiotics for me to collect and i am just building up the courage to pick the scab off and try and clean out the puss  :sick:

Link to CatChat