Author Topic: FLUFFY-Yet again :(  (Read 14993 times)

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
Re: FLUFFY-Yet again :(
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »
 :thanks: guys. will let you know how it goes 2nite.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »
Aww, am so sorry it isn't looking as simple as first thought, fingers crossed that tests show something that can be treated.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007, 19:58:00 PM »
Oh, poor Fluffy.  Fingers crossed, Tammy.

:hug:

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 19:38:58 PM »
 :thanks: Gill

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 19:38:21 PM »
keeping all fingers and paws crossed here  :hug: :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 19:37:24 PM »
Thanks Gill. Must say it isnt looking too good frm where Im standing though............

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 19:34:26 PM »
Oh dear , I am so sorry.

I do hope that they can sort Fluffy out  :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 18:40:00 PM »
 :'(  well

It turns out not to be her mouth after all. WHat I thought was a solid white growth in her mouth where her canine should be was a deformality due to the tooth having been gone for long time. There is one tooth that isnt looking too great-vet poked and prded it for ages and we decided it wasnt that either as it was not causing her pain and there was no bleeding or swelling around it.
Her odd eating to one side of the mouth is probably due to the fact that she has hrdly any teeth to thwe one side of her mouth!! Funny never noticed her eat like that b4!
When the vet proceeded to fel her abdomen the lower he got the more she growled, by the time he got to where her kidneys are, i thought she was going to pass out from the pain. So she is going back to the vets tomorow for seds and xray of chest and abdomen and poss bloods for her kidney and liver.
Vet reckons its either her kidney function (her tempeature is normal) or constipation again. As she i not eating well and not pooing well as well as occasionally acting like she may be sick he thinks she may be blocked again and that she is possibly heading towards a mega colon even though the last x rays didnt show any signs. But her huge drinking pattern and lots of peeing as well as tension and discomfort far down her abdomen are indicative of kidney probs we will do some bloods for kidneys and other things.........thats another £400 in a space of 6 weeks. 
:( :'(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 18:56:12 PM by tammy »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 17:54:16 PM »
Hope all went well at the vets  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 09:56:29 AM »
Oh, it's good that they can see Fluffy this afternoon.  Let us know how she gets on then  :hug:

It's encouraging that she was hungry this morning, too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 09:31:26 AM »
Thanks guys

Amanda, I think you are right it looks like an infection caused by a broken tooth. We are seeing thev vet tonight at 5.30.Thats the only time they could see us today. On the upside she did wake me up this morning begging for food!! and she ate most of it.

Wish us luck!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 07:51:06 AM »
Good luck for today, I do hope your vet can see her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 22:28:03 PM »
Tammy, i`m sorry for the delayed post but i have only just caught up with Fluffy`s situation. In the first post on this thread you said that they had taken scrapes of the nasal growth. Do you know if they sent these off and what the results were? Also did they find anything abnormal in the last blood tests she had?

I have to say that from reading through all of it, and i know that its wrong to try and suggest certain things as we cannot see Fluffy, i would agree and say its definately something to do with her mouth or the nasal growth as opposed to her being constipated.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 22:13:43 PM »
ohh and dont worry I wouldnt have given her naught without aproval 1st 

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 22:12:35 PM »
thanks very much guys for your advice. She is asleep now bless her and has managed food with my help. So it looks like its of to the vets 2moro. As lynn rightly said, she isnt in distress right now as long as you leave her be so she will go tommorow
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 21:55:58 PM »
On no account give her human painkillers.  That would be a very dangerous thing to do.

She may have something called FORLs, which Blip has had, from your description.  I am no vet, of course...  Blip had to have three teeth out, but is absolutely fine now, if it is that.  If you are at all worried, ring the emergency vet and ask them.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 21:50:39 PM »
Tammy you must not give human medication. Ring vet first thing in the morning and get her in,starve her overnight.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 21:20:14 PM »
 :( :(

Hello me again.

Something had been bothering me for a while and it got me thinking. Fluff has never been known for her breath odor to be honest, it never really smelt of much, but for the past 10 days or so it had been rotten.On top of that since sunday Ive noticed when Ive been hand feeding her that she has been taking her food to the left of her mouth and avoiding the right. Today when I got home from work I found bits of food all over the kitchen floor and fluff isnt exactely a messy eater-had always been quite tidy. Giving her med for the last few days has also been a mare!! So I took to investigating.
On her top right jaw around the area her fang tooth would be it looks like her tooth has broken of and only a tiny bi pretrudes out of the gumline. Just above it is a white solid hard lump in the gums. From what I could see there was no puss and the rest of her mouth or what of it she'd let me see looked average for he (she has lots of missing teeth) When I touched this white thing it felt firm and she didnt flinch but whilst trying to give her her tab earlier she was clenchhing real hard. All this put together with her avoidance of dry food and and only eating very watery stuff to the left of her mouth and licking just jelly makes me think atrip to the dentist is in order? What can I do to relieve her symptoms until vets sort her? Would the vet agree to a dental under GA over the phone from what I say and book her in and see what happens then?? SHould I consider it urgent enought to need medical attention tonight? Can I give her some human painkillers to make her better??  :oh noo: :oh noo:

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 13:10:36 PM »
Thanks, will do Blip.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 09:43:08 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Fluffy's eating sloppy, pungent foods - keep us posted on developments, Tammy.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 08:49:23 AM »
 :thanks: guys. Also with her nasal problem when it worsens her troat suffers to so that would explain why she would only lick the jelly of and leave the solid stuff..

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »
Fingers crossed that the higher dose of meds work, and at least she is eating, maybe she was struggling to smell it, and giving her the strong smelling stuff is working.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 21:22:59 PM »
Hopefully eating again is a good sign. I guess they are just like us and their stomach shrinks when they haven't been eating so it will take a while to get her appetite back. Good luck  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 19:59:30 PM »
hello
Just checking in to fill you all in on the situation. I spoke to Matt the vet and he seems to think that its not mega colon (from looking at xrays from yrs back compared to ones that were done this march) or general constipation but something to do with her nasal passages and that I should do the higher dose for between5-7 days and see how she goes. If after 7 days she isnt back to her usual self I should pop her as it could be her mouth (ie teeth porbs or something like that). His theory is that the lack of food came before the lack of poop (and thinking about it he may be right), hence why she didnt get the runs all over the hous but just a couple of neat little piles in her tray. She ate a whole time of the Gourmet solitaire complementary food whilst I was at work and in the last hour has eaten almost a whole tin of that posh Sheba seafood stuff with mussles and squid in (its very wet, runny and fishy!!), She has also had about half a tinf of that feline fayre from Asda that Mark recommended, so at least now I know she's getting goodness in as well as calories. The problem is that she is still very lethargic and looking for a warm spot to sleep. Within minutes of turning the tv she jumped up there for a kip. So Ive put the heating on minimum for a while as  the hot water pipes run under the floor to get to the radiator. Im hoping once the floor warms up she'll feel more comfy. She is looking a sorry site I must say and I cant wait for the week to be over for mum and dad to come back of their hols and see if she has improved. If not Im scared to think what our options may be  :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 07:49:07 AM »
Good luck for tomorrow
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 20:32:39 PM »
thats reassuring lynn............

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 20:32:00 PM »
thanks guys  :shy:

Normally the lactulose goes in her wet food but she is being real picky with her food when lactulose has been added, thats why we have had to convert to a syringe as otherwise she was not taking in sufficent amounts. I guess Ill try a tin of a/d from the vet-dont want to buy a full case and then find she wont take it!! She has eaten a bit more again but only with me coaxin her-god knows how she'll be during the week when Im at work and aint got the time to sit with her for half hour so she can eat half her meal!!

I'll let you lovely people know how we get on 2moro.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 20:30:54 PM »
your right tammy, it doesnt matter what fluffy eats so long as she is eating something !

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 20:24:18 PM »
Just checking in to say  :hug: to Fluffy, Tammy

xC

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 20:19:22 PM »
Yes I can echo Desley on Liquivite cos Kocka would not touch it but she loved AD although it had to be fed off my finger. Ceratinly worth getting a tin from vets and see if she will eat it.

Kocka would also eat it straight from fridge although I tried to make it a bit warmer by mixing it with a finger. was great in the summer though.

Good luck tomorrow, will be thinking of Fluffy and you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 19:26:30 PM »
Good luck with tomorrow - how do you normally give her the lactulose? I dribble it into Molly's wet food, and she has never noticed the difference, yet she is a very fussy madam when it comes to food. A/d is one of the prescription diets, you can get it through places like VetUK, but you have to buy them in full cases, which I think are 24, and at just over £1 a tin, it might be worth asking the vet for one first - I have also been given Liquivite in the past, if they offer you that, I would turn them down, I haven't found a cat that will take that yet, but a/d works a treat, and is high cal, so might help her weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 19:20:03 PM »
Thanks Gill

im hoping it was the steroids and that 2moro will bring more pleasantries!! Ive found that her nasal condtion gets worse and therefore better very slowly and is sometimes very hard to pinpoint her 'ill behaviour' to that, thats why it took a while to diagnose originally and now that she is on steroids I guess the going down hill process is slowed down somwhat further. We shall see what tomorow brings.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 19:17:22 PM »
is a/d a prescription food?? Like you can only get it from your local vet who treats the animal its for??

Lynn, I totally agree with you and find it very frustrating and emotionlly quite draining and painful. Ive had Fluff since I was a teenager at school and watching her go through this and not be able to help is frustrating to say the least. She seems to off perked up a little this afternoon but am not sure how long this will last. The usual vet is normally quite good at sparing 15-20mins for a phone call chat and we have had afew of those since Fluff first went on steroids last september, mainly whilst trying to settle on correct dosage. The diarrhea has stopped and never really was a major cause for concern to be honest as I knew chances were as soon as the tabs had worn of that would be fine. Its just her lethargy and loss of apetite. I know that cats are less active as they get older but with her it has been quite drastic in the last week. Also my mum is normally with her most of the time as she doesnt work anylonger, but she is away all this week and it worries me slightly leaving her at home on her own all day as she has been craving company so much in the last few days and has followed us all around. And most of her food intake today has been coz I sat on the kitchen floor coaxing her.  :thanks: for everything Lynn you hsve been a great source of comfort since fluff 1st got ill back in the catchat days........

Unfortunately the Gourmet solitaire tins Ive got are complimentary, so really long term she should eat other stuf too, but right now I think as long as she is taking something in its a step in the right direction.

As for lactulose Fluff isnt the greatest fan of it and we have now ended up having to syringe her some straight in her mouth every day and some anal enemas when she gets real bad, but as we found her blockage tends to be further up than the anal enema can reach so it doesnt always help-hence the tabs.

Mark I have a local Asda and will try and locate some food tomorrow-Thanks

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 19:04:15 PM »
I am sorry that Fluffy has gone downhill but on the upside she has eaten and thats gotta be good.

lets hope its the start of something good  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 18:50:27 PM »
Hi Tammy,

If she likes that food, Asda ar doing feline fayre tuna in Jelly. Its all white meat with the jelly & vitamins added to make it a complete meal. They aslo do a chicken fillet version with a tiny amount of ham with the jelly etc. The 3-packs are on long term offer for £1.00. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, Hill's a/d might be worth a try. Its for cats that have lost weight through illness. Apparently, its very smelly and cats love it.  http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/products/product_details_eu.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760567&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395183417&bmUID=1179078536513&bmLocale=en_GB
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 18:40:35 PM »
Tammy I'm have no useful or constructive thoughts or advice.  I'm sure the diarrhoea will be linked to the laxative but if you only gave it for 3 days then i would imagine that will stop pretty soon.

It is worrying if she's lost a fair amount of weight esp whilst being on the steriods.

I can only suggest you write down a list of all that has happened and the time scale accompinied by a full list of questions, opinions and thoughts and book an appointment with your vet (not with fluffy) purely to discuss everything or perhaps speak to receptionist to see if you could go through it in a phone call with vet.  For the vets to say lactulose is all they can do for her isnt really satisfactory.  i understand they have carried out numberous tests over the past year but you still have no real answers.

Only after you have gone over everything again and asked the vet / vets for any further thoughts as to what they can do, you can really be in a postion to think of long term decisions.

I feel really bad for you not being able to give any useful advice but my gut feeling is something is going on i just dont know why or what.

Fingers crossed fluffy improves and they can actually give you some answers as to what her problems are.

Lynn XXX

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 18:11:46 PM »
Am glad you have found some food she likes - the tin will tell you if it is complimentary or complete, I can't remember what hte Gourmet Solitaire are.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 17:42:34 PM »
Thanks Teresa

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 16:59:46 PM »
Tammy have sent you a quick pm as promised,have to dash off trapping now
Teresa

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 16:49:58 PM »
some possibly good news. I went shop earlier and got some different cat food for Fluff. Have had it in the house before but it was never her favourite. Its Gourmet solitaire tuna flakes with shrimp in jelly. Theyre small tins as I think theyre meant to be fed as a treat rather than a complete food. Fluff has eaten almost the whole tin in a space of 2 hrs. Huge improvement considering that in the last few days she was juts licking jelly of her food!! :grin:

Link to CatChat