Author Topic: FLUFFY-Yet again :(  (Read 15023 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: FLUFFY-Yet again :(
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2007, 15:48:46 PM »
tammy if it was your tortoise vets that gave that quote and not fluffys vet then perhaps thats why it is higher.  Fluffys vet would not have to charge a consultation fee..simple call our and euthanasia +/- sedatives.

Marks idea isnt to bad actually and you could speak to the vet about that possibilty,  some cats do fight against it if their is extra stimuli going on but she's gonna be wound up travelling without sedative anyway iykwim.

i still think you ought to get accurate quote for yourselves personally (not just the standard charges) and please do point out the monies you have spend at their surgery this year alone..bloody disgrace if they did not have some compassion and come up with a more reasonable charge to suit you and them.

i think where i used to work you'd have been nearer the £100 mark to be honest but no where near what you are talkiing about.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2007, 15:26:19 PM »
Thanks Des,

Does anyone know how long the anti inflamatory inj. last for? I think Fluffies may be wearing off.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »
Yeah, definitely.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »
Is it worth asking round other local vet surgeries if they'd come out and how much they'd charge?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2007, 08:55:17 AM »
it will be more expensive, but wouldnt have thought it would add that much on. Glad the injectinos are helping, and she is having a good time this weekend.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2007, 08:53:13 AM »
Would the price possibly be coz Im in London? Or should that not matter? I really would like it done at home if anyhow poss. On the plus side her injections seem to be keeping her relatively comfy and she is eating well and even lay on the patio sun bathing!!! Its very warm down here today and she is really liking it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2007, 19:33:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about fluffy  :hug:

I have had 2 pts at home and it was under £60, how your vet can charge that much is crazy and rather insensitive seeing how much you have been through together.

:hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2007, 19:14:34 PM »
So sorry to hear there are more awful decisions Tam, I personally have always taken mine to the vets - up until last year, I had the same issues as you where I had spent so much, I couldn't afford to pay the extra, and the last two have been taken just in case I was wrong and there was something that could have been done - both were temperamental cats though, and Blackie spent her time here in a cardboard box in my bathroom, so she would have had to be moved anyway. i would query the cost, it cost my neighbour less to have her dog pts at home than your quote.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2007, 14:37:20 PM »
Thanks Caroline. It wouldnt seem so bad had I not lost Smudge last September through an RTA and that was around the time we noticed Fluff not being too well. Brings back many painful memories.
Hugs are helping though :'(

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2007, 14:34:05 PM »
So sorry Tammy I have just read all the posts about Fluffy, my thoughts are with you both,I know how upsetting it is to loose your beloved pets,we lost Felix in October last year and not a day still goes by that I don't think of him, give him lot's of fuss and hugs. Caroline  :hug:
Caroline xx

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2007, 14:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I shall speak to the vets and try to lower the price and ask for installments as I am broke to the bone!!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »
I would query the vets ours came to put our BC to sleep and we had a vet and vets nurse and they took him back to the surgery for the creamation man to pick him up charge £38.00 including VAt and that was a round trip of 14 miles for them and they were wonderful

Bert was the same at the surgery last week so query it or change vets!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »
When I moved here, the vet gave me some tablets to give the cats to keep them calm in the car.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »
Sedatives are not usually recommended when cats have to travel cos they fight against it

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Really sorry Tammy, its hard enough for you as it is at the moment. I hope you don't mind me suggesting something that might help. I wondered if the vet would give you a sedative tablet to give fluffy at home before you go. I know its not ideal but might help.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear the news about Fluffy. Having been in the same situation 3 weeks ago with my cat Buster, I can really understand how you must be feeling. I must say that 200 pounds for a home visit seems steep, especially the 130 for "consultation". Given that the decision has been made, where's the need for a consultation?? However, I do wish that Buster's last moments could have been here at home rather than being rushed to the vet's, and then pts there. Can you negotiate a better price or, can you get them to at least let you pay in installments? They do seem to have had an awful amount of money from you recently. Good luck and plenty of hugs to you and Fluffy.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2007, 10:11:54 AM »
Lynn

I think thats wishful thinking on both our parts. I'm pretty sure mum would have it done at the vets as she is quite straightforawrd with her money and would not see the point of either of us spending that kind of money for something like that.
The quote I was given by the vets was a call out charge including consultation is £130 plus on top of that the lethal injection and possibly one of those other thingies I cant remember the name for but a lot of vets give prior to euthanasia to relax the animal so the owner can have a few peaceful moments with animal before its pts. I would definitely want that injection I think, but just am real stuck for justifying all that money as since march we have already spent close to £1000, the other vet we usually go to with our tortoise gave us a quote of £265 call out charge plus about £30 for the meds!!
The lower of the 2 prices above is for a vet that only does home visits as my usual vet that Fluff normally goes to isnt too keen on the home visit idea as she is normally so visious at the vets and when I tried to explain that that was my main reason for wanting a home visit he thought my thinking strange-She is the msot docile and loving cat as long as you dont leave her alone with the vet and the nurses at the surgery.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2007, 09:27:55 AM »
Its a difficult one.  Personally I cant see how your vet can charge that much for a home visit to pts, I know call out fees are expensive but its shouldnt be too expensive above that really.  Have you found out the actual price or was 200 a guess ? 

If i were you considering the vast amounts of money you have spent over the past year I would phone and see if they could possibly give you a quote for what they'd charge you.

Perhaps this is also something you might want to discuss with your mum (soz not sure who pays the bills) but she may have strong feelings either way too.

I do think pts is nicer and more relaxed doing it at home but then again 200 quid is a lot of money.  I honestly think your vet might do it cheaper though considering what you have gone through with her. (or maybe thats wishful thinking  :-:)

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2007, 08:39:15 AM »
Thank You peeps. :'(
Im after some more advice. As euthanasia is inevitable Im torn at how to go about it. Id like for it to happen at home as she hates the vets and always uses the trips as an excuse to lash out at all the vets and nurses to the point where most of them have taken to handling her with leather gauntlets.

For that Im looking at paying about £200 and I just havent that kind of money as yesterday cost me £500 wich would mean a trip to the vets for about £30 and not so nice last few moments in her life.......

What do I do? Or rather what would others in my shoes do?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 21:53:29 PM »
I am so very sorry Tammy.

Make the most of the weekend hun, will be thinking of you.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 21:47:49 PM »
I am so very sorry Tammy,

Please give Fluffy a cuddle from me and  have a wonderful weekend with Fluffy. We all understand what you are feeling  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 20:17:29 PM »
 :hug: Thanks peeps.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 20:08:47 PM »
Hun, we are genuinely real life too and we are all of us here for you and Fluffy, who obviously loves you so much.

:hug: and love to Fluffy

xChristine
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 20:08:20 PM »
Only sorry i couldnt do anything to make a difference hun.

She probably feels very safe and secure with you which would expain her purring. (either that or she felt rather pleased with her attack efforts  :evillaugh:)

Lots for head rubs for fluffy  :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 19:51:24 PM »
 :Luv: Thank You ever so much guys I feel priviledged with all that you have done for me, esp Lynn-you have been with me since very begining when this nightmare first began last septemer with her nose at the same time as when Smudge had died  :'(

I appreciate what you all have done for us the last few weeks with all the advice from feeding and caring to how to approach the vet and what to ask for-I could have asked for more from the closest offriends that I have in real life. I will let you all know how things work out.

Strokes and purrs from me and Fluffy

PS She purred soooooohard when I picked her up, even though seconds earlier she attacke a nurse!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2007, 19:14:18 PM »
Tammy - the way I look at it, is that the vet thinks it is fair on her to have the weekend at home, and you can then make sure you do all the things you like to do together, I woudl rather be told I can take them home for a few days than it be a sudden 'they are too bad and it isn't fair'. As i said earlier, I have never managed to not cry, so they prob have picked up on things from me, but at least it has happened the back end of the week, so you can have a weekend with her. Feel free to pm if you want to talk, and I will be thinking of you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2007, 18:52:19 PM »
Tammy, I'm so sorry your news isn't good.  Give Fluffy some gentle strokes from me.  :hug:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2007, 18:36:54 PM »
awww im so sorry tammy  :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2007, 18:05:50 PM »
Oh Tammy I genuinly am so sorry.  I honestly never expected that news today  :(

Please do all you can to treasure this weekend and remember we are here either on forum or privatley, dont hesitate to pm hun

:hug: :hug:

:care: to Fluffy  :Luv:

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2007, 18:00:06 PM »
Can't imagine how you must feel..  :hug: :hug: :hug: and i hope you have a fantastic weekend together.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2007, 17:54:50 PM »
So sorry to hear the sad news, it's such a hard thing to have to do.  Treasure the time you have left with her  :hug:

The Greatest Gift

I always knew this time would come,
From the very instant our eyes first met.
How I loved you then! How I love you now!
I made a promise then, and I will keep that promise now...
You will not suffer from a pain that will not heal;
You will not know the loss of a life remembered, now gone.

It is for me alone to make this decision,
The price for the bright joy and pure laughter
You brought me during the time we shared.
I am the only one who can decide when it is time.
When my hope dies, and my fear rides high,
Just when I need you most, I must let you go.

It is for you alone to tell me when you are ready
For without your guidance, I will not know
When to lay my grief, my guilt, my anger
My sorrow and my selfish heart aside
And give you this last gift, this greatest gift.
Your eyes will speak to mine, and I will know.

The pain of this moment is excruciating.
Tears stream down my face in a river of sorrow.
And my heart drowns in a pool of grief.
For you have spoken and I have listened,
And unlike other decisions I have made
This one brings no relief...no comfort...no peace.

For if there´s one thing you´ve taught me,
If there´s only one thing I´ve learned...
Unconditional love has a condition after all,
I must be willing to let you go, when you speak to me
I must be willing to help you go, if you cannot go alone.
And I must accept my pain so you can be free of yours.

Go easily now, go quickly now,
Do not linger here, it is time for you to leave.
Go find your strength, go find your youth.
Go find the ones who've gone before you.
You are free to leave me now, free to let your spirit soar
Rest easy now, your pain will soon be gone.

I pray I will find comfort in my memories...
In the dark and lonely days ahead.
I cannot say I will not miss you, I cannot say I will not cry.
For only my tears can heal my broken heart.
But, I promise you this; as long as I live,
You will live, alive in my mind, forever in my heart.

So I give you this last gift, all I have left to give,
And this will be my greatest gift...sending you away.
It is the measure of my unconditional love...
For only the greatest love can say,
"Good-bye, go find the bridge, we'll meet again,
Loving you has been the greatest gift of all."

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2007, 15:55:39 PM »
Des

I plan to spend lots of time with her but I hoped Id never be in a situation where I would have to postpone her being pts as I am sure she will pick up how crappy mummy is feeling and I dont want those last few precious days to be plaqued by sadness and pain....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2007, 15:47:22 PM »
I am so sorry that it isn't better news, do spend lots of quality time with her over the weekend, it is a very hard thing to do, and I have never managed it without crying like you are supposed to!! Fingers crossed the meds keep her comfortable enough till your parents are back.
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2007, 14:27:47 PM »
Thank You, thats so kind. My first priority is to get trhough my working day without my collegues constantly watching me cry. I shalll nip of slightly early (bout 4.30) pick Fluffy up from vets. My sister is coming round tonight so we can give Fluffy lots of TLC.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2007, 14:20:59 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this news, Tammy.  My heart goes out to Fluffy and to you.

Please PM or email me if it would help at all.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
Re: FLUFFY's Got Cancer
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2007, 14:15:23 PM »
Just spoke to the vet and Fluffy has a  renal lymphoma amongs other renal problems and there isnt much they can do for her. She is coming home tonight on pain killers and anti inflamatories. Mum and dad are away until sunday and made me promise that if she was unwell not to have her put down until they have had a chance to say goodbye. Theyre back on sunday so we will probably take her in monday or tuesday.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Cant concentrate on my work :(
Woke up with a huge migrane today and the painkillers I normally take for it are making me feel really dopey!! I hope they call me soooonnn!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
Poor Fluffy, hope you can get to the bottom of this for her  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
Hope it is just constipation & they can sort it - poor Fluffy  :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
Fingers crossed for fluffy tammy.  sorry it wasnt a simple tooth problem  :(

Link to CatChat