Author Topic: Neighbours' cats probs  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Neighbours' cats probs
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:29:58 AM »
I hate this sort of thing but have no regrets.

I know what you mean but we are an animals only voice, so good of you I say. :)
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
ME and OH on cat sitting duties for neighbour 1 since Fri and I just went in for 1st time this am (the big clean up)
  Whoops, obviously OH has been catsitting meanwhile! (which includes sitting with them 1 hour in am and 1 hour in pm). He's just not that tidy!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
OK update time. Neighbour 1 was caught by neighbour 2's son complaining to another neighbour about neighbour 2s bad parking. At same time neighbour 1 told me last Sunday that she has decided neighbour 2's cat Zimmy just needed feeding up and he's OK now. I suspect she just didn't want to approach neighbour 2 after the car parking incident.

ME and OH on cat sitting duties for neighbour 1 since Fri and I just went in for 1st time this am (the big clean up) and saw Zimmy for first time. He just lets himself in thru neighbour 1's catflap much to the annoyance of resident cats. He looks awful. He is thin as a rake and fur mats all over his back even though he is short haired.

As soon as I saw him I started ranting so that neighbour 2 could hear and then went round to see her (8.45am). As she stood in the door holding her 9 month old baby girl, who I completely ignored, I think I said Hyperthyroidism 3 times, easily treatable 3 times, he needs to see a vet urgently 5 times; all the time shaking more and more and getting redder and redder thru anger and nervousness. She obviously isn't starving him as she said he eats all the time but she thought it was his age.  How can a teacher (head of English Dept no less) be so :censored: thick?

Anyway, I have now followed that up with a note to neighbour 2 (copied to neighbour 1) with a little card and a FAB fact sheet on hyperthyroidism. I have asked her in the note to let me know how she gets on at the vet and offered to take him if she has her hands full with the baby.

I just have no tact and hope that neighbour 2 doesn't take umbridge as I want her to take Zimmy to the vet.  I hate this sort of thing but have no regrets.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 22:43:07 PM »
The hair loss thing can sometimes be down to fleas or over grooming from the areas you have described. In can be other things too but these are quite common.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 15:24:29 PM »
I assume so. Neighbour 1 left me a note this am which said "glands at base of tail". She has same vet as me and I rate him highly so, if he says Butu is OK, I'm assuming he is. He is certainly in no discomfort altho it would be nice to understand why he has lost fur on his tummy and legs.  Am sure I'll hear more when I see neighbour again. She is working all hours at the mo due to local elections altho made time for vet visit of course. She's a big wig in the council (former mayor don't you know  :wow: lol)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 13:19:46 PM »
He had a small blockage in glands at base of tail

Was it the anel glands?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 13:13:28 PM »
Butu, neighbour 1's cat now sorted. He had a small blockage in glands at base of tail. Vet unblocked and was splattered  :sick:  No infection and he's fine.

Neighbour 1 has yet to speak to neighbour 2 about Zimmy but she spoke to vet when she took Butu in and vet suggested sounds like thyroid or diabetes so neighbour 1 will speak to neighbour 2 very soon. Meanwhile Zimmy continuing to be fed by neighbour 2 twice a day and he is now sleeping in her back porch on the mat in the sun. I have no doubt he is also being fed at home. I hesitate to interfere just yet as neighbour 1 knows neighbour 2 better than me altho neighbour 1 has said she will blame me for raising the matter which is OK with me.

For all I know Zimmy may already be under treatment. Neighbour 2 not looking to home a 4th cat but is open to taking Zimmy on board if neighbour 2 unable to look after him. There is of course a history here that would take too long to go into. Suffice to say, until neighbour 2 moved out for 12 months, he was regularly fed by neighbour 2 and must have jumped for joy when he realised he was back home. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
Should have said neighbour 1 has fed Zimmy a number of pouches over last few days so he isn't starving. Neighbour 1 will definitely speak to neighbour 2.  We have known neighbour 2 for many years and she is not a bad person.  She has a 9 month old child and I suspect that is partly why her eye is off the ball when it comes to Zimmy. Not offered as an excuse, just a possible reason. It is also much easier to see a slow deterioration in a cat's health if you haven't seen them for a while rather than if you are with them every day. Having said that, the very poor condition of his coat should have rung alarm bells.  :(  Will keep you posted.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »
as below both need vet treatment asap.

not sure on butu but i'd be very suprise if zimmy wasnt as you suspect hyperT.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
Any ideas?

Plenty, but all lead to an urgent vet visit. If nothing done by neighbour no 2 immediately I would ask the RSPCA inspector to have a word.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Neighbours' cats probs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:16:03 AM »
Probs with Butu - bleeding from bottom (only discovered last night) and losing hair on tummy and backlegs. Has lost weight but he needed to and is still podgy.  Otherwise showing no discomfort and eating fine.  Aged about 10ish but not sure as originally a stray. Has had eczema probs in past but no sign of skin irritation. Recently wormed with drops on back of neck. Any ideas?  Going to vet.

Probs with Zimmy (different neighbour) - aged about 14, acts like he is starving, calling out loudly for food but very skinny and fur coat in very bad condition. I suspect thyroid probs. Neighbour one to have a word with neighbour two about visit to vet. Neighbour 2 only just moved back into house after living elsewhere for a year. Neighbour 1 extremely upset at condition of Zimmy and trying to find the right approach to see if neighbour 2 realises there is a problem and it isn't just Zimmy's age.

Link to CatChat