Author Topic: Neighbours' cats probs  (Read 12190 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Neighbours' cats probs
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2007, 00:24:21 AM »
Really pleased that things are being sorted out and Zimmy is safe.  Hope it's not been too stressful for you!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Am glad that things are going as well as can be.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2007, 00:14:01 AM »
Great  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2007, 00:11:39 AM »
One day, when I have nothing better to do with my life, I will bore you all with the shenanigans with horrible neighbour. Just thought you'd like to know that nice neighbour has plans to rehome before nasty neighbour leaves with or without official consent. Nuff sed.  Meanwhile, he ain't cold, wet or starving and moves afoot to ensure medication given regularly!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2007, 23:10:07 PM »
Hi Rosella

Think that very good note and hope they see sense and let him back in the house, have feeling about the meds tho!

Well done. keeping fingers crossed

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2007, 21:21:28 PM »
Hi Gill

I've put the following concilliatory note thru her letterbox (not mentioned Animal Welfare Act or RSPCA yet)

"H.  Sorry if I caused offence.  I didn’t know that Zimmy was now an outdoor cat so didn’t know why the catflap was locked when I tried to put him in your house and I was told he was going into a cattery during your holiday. 

J & S went on holiday on Thursday morning. I tried to contact you or whoever you asked to look after Zimmy from Saturday to explain that J and S’s cats wouldn’t come in when Zimmy was in their house. I was therefore having difficulty feeding them and the weather has been awful. When I heard nothing, I eventually found a place for him to stay on Tuesday. I know J and S don’t mind him coming to theirs and they obviously don’t have similar difficulties feeding their cats when they are at home.

I didn’t get a chance to explain that Zimmy almost fell over a couple of times when eating on Monday and started sneezing a little.  I didn’t know if he is normally that unsteady although I realise he is elderly.  That’s why I asked the vet near the cattery to take a look at him.

I realise that having Zimmy tested for Hyperthyroidism was not my place but I only did it out of concern and I was told the test was positive for the condition and I enclose copies of the results.  I apologise for doing this as it clearly upset you.  The vet put him on treatment from Thursday involving 2 tablets a day for a few weeks to see how he responds. Further treatment then needs to be discussed with vet.  The tablets don’t cost much.

I will collect Zimmy on Sunday and bring him home.  My main concern was that J and S’s cats might wander off if they were unsettled for the 16 nights J and S are away.  I am not concerned about a week. 

Can we talk about his please as I’ve tried to be brief?  Naturally I’ve no intention of asking you to pay for this.
Rosella"

That really is the best I could come up with.  I just popped out and no sign of lights on at their house. No idea what to do tomorrow  :scared:  Needless to say, I am not keen to give him back until she sees that

1. He needs to have access to indoors
2. He needs his medication

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2007, 20:56:28 PM »
I am with you Nick, some doctors are flaming useless and I will not go to mine unless I really really really need to........no confidence in them at all.

Back to poor Zimmy, in view of his problems I would not call in RSPCA cos if they take him away , I wouldnt have much hope for him.

I wish I knew the best way to help poor Zimmy, you have done so well, whether threatening with Rspca would work, I dont know cos peeps like this dont have a clue and would probably think , thats Ok they will just take Zimmy away. problem solved  :'( :'(

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2007, 21:06:57 PM »
Just splitting hairs here: thyroxine,  now prescribed as levothyroxine, is given in mcg (micrograms) not mg (milligrams). mcgs are much smaller, not sure by how much, would image 100 times.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

j20

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2007, 20:02:35 PM »

Nick, you were probably starting on too high a dose of thyroxine. This can cause symptoms of hyper, such as palpitations and nervousness. See your GP and try a lower dose to begin with. Your GP should give you regular blood checks to see how you're responding, and adjust your thyroxine in accordance.
You really will feel better on the thyroxine; I lost weight, became more energetic and lost that constantly drained feeling.

yes I think you are right. I started on a pretty low dos 5mg but I was very ill at the time and eating nothing so I am sure it was not really a fair trial but the side effects are awful and put me off. I had 3 -4 hours of feeling dreadfully anxious and nautious and giddy and palpations so not keen to repeat that. I could try half a tab on a full tum I suppose . wuss  :doh:

I feel so completly exhausted all the time I am dog tired when I wake up after 10 hours sleep forcrissakes .I have to really concentrate to do anything and don't feel motivated to do anything much .

Have been taking thyroxine for many a year even 0.5 can make a diff not takeing your med could cause long term probs  i would really sugest geting them to give you a lower dose by what you you say i would reduce it by 2 and see how it goes

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2007, 14:04:05 PM »
Sorry to temporarily morph this thread.
Nick, I've got a book called "Coping with Thyroid Problems" by Dr Joan Gomez.

Firstly, your dr should investigate the cause of your hypo, as it can be due to autoimmune probs (something called Hashimoto's disease), an excess of iodine, the aftermath of inflammation of the thyroid, other medication, diet, starvation (especially lack of carbos) and other illness. I remember having several blood checks in the beginning, especially for Hashimoto's.

Quote:
"If you are over 45 or severely hypo, you must start treatment at a low dose. Your dr will increase this in small steps over weeks and months. It is not worthwhile to test your thyroid status until two months after you have started the treatment. The final dose will depend on how you feel as well as on the test results.

Some people have harmless palpitations when they first take thyroxine. A small dose of a beta-blocker will tide them over the uncomfortable phase, which is temporary and not dangerous. Other people get aching in the muscles, which is similarly temporary, and of no serious significance. Indications that the dose is too high too soon are muscle cramps, angina, shortness of breath or ankle swelling. It is a matter of adjustment."

A frightening fact: there is a rare condition which results from years of shortness of thyroid hormone: psychosis. "The victim may lose contact with reality. She, or less often he, feels puzzled and afraid and thinks that other people are her enemies. Sometimes she believes she can hear them plotting....."

There are probably websites devoted to this subject. I bought the book when I was diagnosed. (Like you, I don't trust doctors, so double-check everything by researching it.)

Nag: GO BACK TO YOUR DOC ASAP!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 21:16:43 PM »
Ick! Rosella, have been there and got the t-shirt in terms of feeling sick after your neighbour finds out you've dared to look after their cat properly.  It's horrible.  :Crazy:  :hug:

Am so glad you're sticking to your guns for Zimmy's sake.  I'm disgusted that she's decided he's now an outside cat.  Can't add any more advice other than agreeing with what the others have said.

After our neighbour calmed down we eventually sorted things out - if you offer to sort out his medication long term you might well end up with an extra cat living with you.....

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2007, 17:12:43 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhh now thats what I call nice neighbours.  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2007, 16:02:55 PM »
Good luck oh and if both your neighbours are away where are you bathing at the moment lol  :Crazy: :innocent: :-[
The nice neighbours have given us the freedom of their house until they get back 9 June, thank god. Just had a short kip in their bed as got no sleep last night (they changed sheets for us in case we got too cold at our house   :))

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2007, 15:18:09 PM »
peanut pricks up his ears and makes a dash for the catflap   :sneaky:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2007, 14:20:32 PM »
I was going to make the comment that if my son doesnt do as he is told he eventually would be taken over my knee and have his backside skelped !!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2007, 14:19:16 PM »
untreated hypo t leads to thickening of the skin which then ends up getting secondary infections.

fluffybanana a deaf ear all ya like -------- GET YOURSELF SORTED.
Its a simple thing to sort out, you just have to stop being so stubborn and take care of yourself.

ho ho ho I've decided I need a naggin wif ha ha  :evillaugh: :rofl: ...................  lardee dardee da (peanut covers his ears )

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 14:15:20 PM »
untreated hypo t leads to thickening of the skin which then ends up getting secondary infections.

fluffybanana a deaf ear all ya like -------- GET YOURSELF SORTED.
Its a simple thing to sort out, you just have to stop being so stubborn and take care of yourself.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2007, 13:57:58 PM »
yeah yeah yeah ( peanut cocks a deaf ear  :evillaugh:)

Thickening ?.................... thickening what ? .............. :Crazy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2007, 13:52:45 PM »
but as you are hypo t then you will be susecptible to all kinds of infections..have you not had/got skin infections and thickening yet ?

get your hypo t levels sorted out, as hippy said you were obviously sensitive to the dosage, even if you are not rushing back to the docs if you still have the tablets what about starting off with half the dose and see how you get on with that, your cant possibly give up after one tablet..whats the point of that...would you do that with your cats ????? NO i bet not !!!!!!!! (hey can you tell i'm a nagging old housewife ha ha..well less of the old !!!!!! )

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2007, 13:47:49 PM »
(animals and humans share pretty much same symptoms )

well if continual hunger is anything to do with it I certainly do share a lot with animals lol.

re quacks I'm afraid I have given up on them they are useless the lot of them.
I swopped practice because my previous paractice did nothing about my chronic UTI (5 years now)
The new Dr had to be practically threatened to test my urine sample I brought in and then only did a litmus stick test which is useless.

I have given up. This particular bout of infection has now lasted nearly 3 months without a break fortunately at least my kidneys do not hurt this time and the infection hasn't got them them otherwise I have to sleep in an armchair due to the pain of lying on my back . Grrrrrrrr don't start me off on quacks lol  :censored:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 13:38:35 PM »
Rosella how awful for you..what ever route this takes i hope it works out ok both for you and for zimmy.  You have done nothing wrong and i cannot see the police taking mcuh interest to be honest.

rspca..i think again would be on your side and not her if they need to be involved

ela i understand that concerns...however im fairly confident rosella wouldnt let it come to that.

Nick YOU MUST GET BACK TO YOUR DOCTORS and get more appropriate dosage and get yourself sorted...you will feel SO MUCH BETTER as hippy said once you get stabalised...please promise you'll go and get seen to...i dont know any hypo T humans but have known dogs and the transformation in them is just amazing. (animals and humans share pretty much same symptoms so i reckon would be same in humans too)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »

Nick, you were probably starting on too high a dose of thyroxine. This can cause symptoms of hyper, such as palpitations and nervousness. See your GP and try a lower dose to begin with. Your GP should give you regular blood checks to see how you're responding, and adjust your thyroxine in accordance.
You really will feel better on the thyroxine; I lost weight, became more energetic and lost that constantly drained feeling.

yes I think you are right. I started on a pretty low dos 5mg but I was very ill at the time and eating nothing so I am sure it was not really a fair trial but the side effects are awful and put me off. I had 3 -4 hours of feeling dreadfully anxious and nautious and giddy and palpations so not keen to repeat that. I could try half a tab on a full tum I suppose . wuss  :doh:

I feel so completly exhausted all the time I am dog tired when I wake up after 10 hours sleep forcrissakes .I have to really concentrate to do anything and don't feel motivated to do anything much .

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:02 PM »
yes you are right I'm sure Rosella. Bringing in the heavies at this stage is the last resort which is only likely to inflame the situation and make her even more intractable. You are obviously being very senstitive in this difficult situation and I'm sure if anyone can find a way through so that Zimmy gets the best resolution it will be you to achieve it. Good luck oh and if both your neighbours are away where are you bathing at the moment lol  :Crazy: :innocent: :-[

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Well I went to vet this am and settled up. Only £7.86 for first course of meds. I got a copy of the blood tests results which clearly shows Thyroid problem as Thyroxine level is 178 (normal range 19-65). Perhaps someone could tell me if that is "high" as shown on report or extremely high?

Ela, the vet checked for a microchip but there isn't one.

The lady at Cramar said Zimmy needs to stay with them till at least Sunday as previously arranged and gave me a copy of summary of new Animal Welfare Act to give to the neighbour with copy blood test results.  She said I should make sure I explain to owner how ill Zimmy appeared when I brought him in, hence blood tests and also that he has sniffles.  She said I should threaten to report owner to RSPCA if she doesn't agree to home him properly and give him his meds.  Zimmy looked very comfortable and eating well as all his breakfast gone.

Nick I completely agree with what you say. I am hoping the owner will calm down a bit but can't see that threatening to report her to the RSPCA will help. The only nice neighbour that could act as intermediary is on hols and I am catsitting for her!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
I'd be inclined to get the RSPCA involved.

My only worry about that would be that of the family were not prepared to pay a vet bill and for on going treatment. what would happen to the cat in view of its age.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:58 AM »
I'd be inclined to get the RSPCA involved. As she isn't giving proper care to an ill cat she is violating the Animal Act. They would probably give her notice to improve the cat's living conditions. Maybe, if you phone them, withhold your number, explain the situation and ask if they would persuade her to sign the cat over to you or your 'good' neighbour.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »
I know its difficult for you being neighbours etc but a mention of the animal welfare bill and possibility of prosecution might make her more willing to sign poor Zimmy over.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »
Stick to your guns Rosella you have done everything right for the cat which is what matters.
If there was nothing wrong with the cat the Vet wouln't have proposed  any treatment .

The owner is obviously angry that some `do gooder' (in her eyes) has interferred in her life and probably feels embarrassed and indignant but is clearly not looking at things from the cat's welfare point of view otherwise she would have been grateful for your concern and help (and considerable expense). She now sees you as the devil so sounds unlikely to be reasonable with you . You might be better off finding someone as an intermediary to talk with her.

So sorry its worked out like this but it is always a risk. People don't like to feel they have been made out to be irresponsible or inadequate (she obviously is !) You've paid for the meds and the cat needs them so I was thinking it might be best to administer them but then if she is unlikely to keep giving the meds long term the poor cat's metabolism is going to go up and down like a yo yo .

I would be tempted to get someone else to persuade her to sign the cat over to them (not to you obviously) maybe Nice neighbour ? afterall she clearly doesn't want the cat if she is happy to lock it out of the house now

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007, 08:13:34 AM »
The owner contacted me last night and went ballistic. It seems that Zimmy is now an "outdoor" cat

Lets hope that Zimmy likes being an outdoor cat and that he doesn't suddnly decide it is not for him and wonders off. ;) How tragic that would be.

Do you know if he is chipped?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:16:51 AM by Ela »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »
Aww, sorry to hear that the owner isn't being co-operative - fancy making a cat of that age an outdoor cat though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »
I feel quite sick. The owner contacted me last night and went ballistic. It seems that Zimmy is now an "outdoor" cat (supposed to use her shed but actually stays in neighbours house) as owner has a baby and she arranged for someone to come and feed him twice a day. Despite my many notes, the feeder only contacted the owner yesterday.  She said she brought Zimmy to vet and after spending £30 that she can ill afford, was told there was nothing wrong with him. Obviously no blood test was done. As I tried to explain the problem she got extremely angry and hung up threatening to get police involved. Think I'll have to collect him on Friday so he is here when she returns but don't know what to do about starting meds today. Will have to chat with vet. I'll collect and pay for meds so she can start when she gets back.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
nick - Hypo is actually very rare in cats.
Rosella - if he  is on the meds that most Hyper-t cats are on, you can get it cheaper through online places (and then one of the rescues on here can have a donation too!!). Am glad that he is going to get some treatment finally.
Please spay your cat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2007, 23:21:03 PM »
ah you're my little heroine of the week Rosella :)

I think you're wonderful . especially as O/H is knocking your house down around your ears.

Good to hear that poor old Zimmy is going to get some treatment thanks to you. Has his former owner definitly left for good do you think?

Hippy kitty I must be the exception to the rule I guess . I was diagnosed as Hypo T 2 years ago. 3. I am supposed to take my thyroxine but haven't taken any tabs since the first one gave me some pretty awful side effects . I know I should cos everything is packing up . I am now 18 stone but you wouldn't think it to look at me as I just look like a heavyweight boxer .
Maybe I should try again I'm sure it would transform my life

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2007, 22:38:53 PM »
oh good,,well not good but good its now diagnosed, official and being seen too !!!

PS meant to say..i'm so observant NOT.. my alloy nuts has caps just like yours on them too  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2007, 17:25:35 PM »
waiting for the cody lookie likey pics by the way  ;)

You're a hard task master lol. Will try and get around to it tomorrow.  "Our" Red is a stunning babe so not really that much of a trial taking his photo. He also has the most adorable personality; tall boy but such a whimp! I am at last making inroads with his brother Smudge too. Me and the final one of the trio, Butu, have been pals for years now.

Back to topic and just spoke to vet and blood results show Zimmy is definitely HyperT and medication will start tomorrow. Didn't ask cost but will find out soon enough!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007, 15:34:49 PM »
god rosella thats such a familiar sight  :evillaugh:  i think i've had every room in my house reduced to that "minimalist" style at some point  :evillaugh:

waiting for the cody lookie likey pics by the way  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007, 15:15:11 PM »
Whoops and the bathroom!

You could have cleaned the bath a bit before taking a pic.  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 14:58:21 PM »
Whoops and the bathroom!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2007, 14:56:46 PM »
Vet suspects hyperT as our Zimmy is a bag of bones I'm afraid.  Vet cost £75 yesterday which I thought reasonable.  I couldn't resist calling in at Cramar at lunchtime and he ate OK overnight. I didn't go to see any of them as didn't want to disrupt them.  Will let you know thyroid results when I hear but meanwhile thought I'd treat you to photos of my bathroom and a photo of Tom showing how bovvered he is by the noise.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat