Author Topic: Is it right I force a wandering cat to stay at home?  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Is it right I force a wandering cat to stay at home?
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:20 AM »
Men seem to get squeamish about giving tom cats the chop. I wonder why?  :Crazy:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 19:01:33 PM »
When I took Boris under my wing, he was a regular visitor to the garden and eventually I coaxed him in so I could get him to the vets for the chop.  I kept him in for a few days and then gave him the choice as he'd got a few "homes".  He still visited everyone else but always came home at night and in the winter he stayed in 24/7, they know where they're well off.  Hubby was convinced he'd do a runner after the chop but he stuck around and forgave me the first day  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 18:35:47 PM »
I do agree that keeping him in after his op to recover is a good idea, but as I said earlier in this thread it's nice to hear of someone allowing a cat to express its personality fully. If you're happy with this arrangement and so is the cat, fair play to you!

Does he have a name that you call him by?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 17:21:33 PM »
I do indeed... I've said so ealier in this thread what the situation is...

We are taking care of him and inded to provide for any needs he has.  He's a very sociable cat that is not scared or people.  He is not feral at all

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 16:31:39 PM »
samandred, I'm not saying that you need to keep your cat in permanently, just for two months. This will tell the cat that your house is his home. After the two months, have a cat-flap fitted so that he can come and go as he pleases. He'll be likely to adopt your house as his main home.

Do you want this cat to be your responsibility? Or do you want to treat it like a farm cat which makes its own living by catching mice? Your reluctance to fully home him makes me wonder whether you wish him to remain semi-feral. Please consider what is best for the cat.

Personally, I think he'd live a longer, happier life with his own home and family, and dependable, regular meals.

How tame is he? Is he nervous? Frightened of people? It doesn't sound like it if he has so many houses to go to, but can you pick him up, have him on your lap etc?

It would help if you were clearer in whether you want to be this cat's person.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 14:51:37 PM »
Pros and cons to the testing issue I guess.  Though everyone who has had something to say seems to have found a good solution for themselves...

The question you raise about keeping the cats in is close to my heart, I and my wife feel very strongly that this tom may well still enjoy being out and about post neutering and even if we only see him here and there, as long as it remains regular and not just for food, then we'll ensure his welfare.  He can decide where he likes to hang out and I am ready in case that turns out not to be us...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 22:17:03 PM »
Thank you for caring enough to get this done - I am puzzled why the vet tested him and didn't suggest it though, and depending on how long it was since he was tested, does depend on if things have changed since then.
CC - I dont get my permanent cats tested - out of all 8, only 2 have been tested, and both on vets 'suggestions' due to health issues, both negative. Ginger could have had anything, he had 3 years on the streets (as a neutered male though, and he was so laid back), lived with a cat with FIP (admittedly they were isolated as soon as I knew, so hopefully that helped with that one). To me, it wont affect what I do for them, and in Gingers case, I couldnt' keep him in, that would have shortened his lifespan more than anything medically.
Forever - no, cats with FIV dont need meds, some studies show Interferon can help, but it is just a compromised immune system, they can live long, happy lives with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 22:07:10 PM »
do they need any medication if they have fiv????????
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 21:31:46 PM »
Hippylitty, if you so sure your cats have FIV/FIVL why wouldnt you have them tested?  :-:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 19:28:06 PM »
I'm an old hand at domesticating cats which have this sort of background. My advice is to keep him in, give him and litter tray and feed him well. Give him as much fuss as he will take, but no more. To fully bond him to you, your family and your house, you'll need to keep him in completely for at least two months. He won't like this, but it's the only way that your house will be his home in his mind.

After he has been neutered and kept in for a couple of months, you will have a very loving cat. Neutered toms are very affectionate.

Personally, I wouldn't have him tested for FLV etc, but accept that he probably does have these illnesses, which may, in future cut short his life.
But I have two cats at the moment, both of whom have similar histories and are probably FLV positive. One is 17years old, the other 20.

Good luck. Please keep him in for two months.  :fish:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 19:26:16 PM »
Well done for taking this little guy under your wing  :hug:  I had a stray turned up here and we christened him Boris, he was unneutered and had quite a few "homes", everyone loved him but no one took him to the vets etc so I took him on board.  He was a wanderer but soon settled down when he had the chop and knew which side his bread was buttered on  ;)  As soon as the hormones settle down, you will probably find he'll enjoy being indoors especially on the cold nights, good luck and I'm looking forward to updates  :)

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 21:57:28 PM »
Thank you all so much, you've made me feel like I am on a worthy path and I am grateful for that insight

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 20:06:15 PM »
Well done you for taking care of this lucky boy, our Charlie came to us in a similar way, he just turned up on the doorstep one night.  We
mananged to track down his owner, she didnt want him anymore (her loss) At first he wouldnt stay in because he was used to roaming all the time but now he hardly leaves the garden when he goes out and spends most of hsi time chilled out indoors - I never let him out at night.  I think one of the reasons he likes living here so much is his my 3 gorgeous female cats !!

:welcome: To this lovely site
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 17:14:42 PM »
My George, RIP, turned up an entire tom, he used to come and go and wander off every so often. We got him neutered, expecting him to hate us and run off after doing it but he never left!
You may get the house cat you'd like afterall.

Good luck with him

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 15:09:17 PM »
Great, I look forward to the day when I can rant unhindered and you all care even less...

...god bless those little pagens we call cats, and all the time we spend discussing.  What the hell did we do before forums anyway?

ccmacey

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 13:40:24 PM »
And you will find as you visit the site more you will get more experience and less intelligent lol

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 13:30:11 PM »
I will update you all, probably on this thread in about 2 weeks as then he'll have been in and been seen to...

...unless unforeseen things are afoot and then you'll hear from me sooner...

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 13:28:49 PM »
Yes, both of you (and everyone else) has a consensus, regardless of whether people feel he should learn to be at home or not (and I am tending not), it is  unified opinon that it is in his best interests to keep him at home before and after the operation...

and this, I will now do and is eaxctly why I came here, looking for advice as an intelligent but inexperienced owner...

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 13:26:23 PM »
Probibly just cos he's kicking about the streets, please do keep him in. Let us know how u get on.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 13:22:40 PM »
he has indeed and so far, he is clear...

the only symptom now is that his coat seems less glossy than before and I assume that is diet though if there might be another reason, I'll watch out

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 13:21:25 PM »
Well done you. To me, it sounds like he's your cat and he just chills out at other peoples houses. I think the fact of the matter is that you are the sole carer with regards to his medical well being and that gives you the right to decide whats best for him.(After all, if anything happens to him, you'll be the one that pays to sort it out!)

With him being such a wanderer, he may not enjoy being a full time indoor cat, but definately keep him in before the op and after to ensure he gets into no scrapes, or causes more kittens that will need homes. (And as someone else quite rightly pointed out, is actually around when you need to take him in for the op!) 

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 13:03:00 PM »
So has he been tested at the vets for these viruses?

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »
Thank you for your advice.  I have been driven by his needs but I am grateful for the wider context you have all given me...

(At least he does not have cat aids or leukemia as I insisted on every test in the cat book)

I shall take care of him

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »
Well done for taking this cat on.  Most people don't realise the damage that an unneutered tom can do to a local cat population.  As well as unwanted kittens, he is also far more likley to fight and get injured, get lost and catch nasty diseases like FIV (feline version of HIV) and FeLV from other cats.  So you are definitely doing the right thing in getting him done.

I would suggest that next time he comes to you, keep him inside until the vets because otherwise he may not be around when you need to take him as well as the other considerations.  He won't like it, but he'll get over it.  Toms can also impregnate females for up to 2 weeks after the op too so it would be wise to keep him inside for that amount of time too and that could have the added bonus that he may see your place as his proper home.  I have found that cats can be quite forgiving and all of mine have been so relived to get home from the vets that they soon forget that it was you who took them in the first place  :innocent:

As you are the one paying for everything (with his original owner's permission) then I would say that you can make all the decisions :)

ccmacey

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
No worries but do keep this cat indoors and get him done. You seem to be his only chance of him having a safe life

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »
He was a neighbour's and they had him 2 and a half years and did nothing for him.  He kept being out so they stopped even keeping an eye on him.  He'd come around ours and after a week, we noticed he was getting bald and ill and we suspected fleas so I went to see the owner and realised they were not equipped to take care of him so agreed with them I and my wife'd take him on.  Then, after a visit to the vets, he stopped hanging with us as we were the nasty ones who put him in a box and took blood samples and doused him with cream so I put up posters asking for help from anyone who saw him.  7 families replied. 

So, now, there is a question as to who owns him as he is in everyone's home and the original owners no longer have any contact with him.  Even though we are sorting his medical needs and trying to keep him  and the local cat community safe, how much can I make calls.

I guess as I have the original owners sanction, I guess I can.

In the meantime, I am trying to get him neutered and chipped asap but I am restrcited by the vet setting a date when he can be neutered.

That's a long reply.  I apologise for that...

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
Dosnt take a genius to work that 1 out.

Whats been 3 years? Just think of the illnesses hecould have or get.

Is he your cat? If he is then its your right to do whatever.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
I agree that many girl felines may already had been recepticles for his man love but it's been almost three years and I only found out four days ago, that;s when I got him into the vet.

I believe the damage has been done by him running around being bad.  It's only another week... do you think he can still cause harm in another week or should I start keeping him in now...

hell, it is almost spring, maybe I should

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
Thats what a cat in my aunts street done jack, settled down once the things had gone. Although I dont think its fair on other peoples cats that this cat maybe going around getting them pregnant, he needs to be kept in so he cant be doing that. Just think of all them poor little kittens.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
...but now he has to go to the vet in 10 days for the snip and also to shove a chip in him (which I am doing not to put my stamp on him but ensure that any future owner knows his medial history).

You didn't mention he was a FULL tom! No wonder he's such a lad about town. :evillaugh: You won't be the only harem he has!

It's very likely after all the hormones are out of his system, he'll choose a home of his own volition anyway.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »
So the cat hasnt been neutered? Thats obviously why hes milling around.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
Actaully, I suspect that someone is already muscling in... let's hope they love him and do not want him to lose out.  I am happy to share but I need to be sure he is safe...

Maybe you are right... I think what I shall do is collar him properly, then let him be a floosy for a week or so, then keep him in for the operation and the week afterwards where is groggy...

If, after all that, he then decides he wants to leave our home, then so be it... but at least he'll be safe for now and I'll keep an eye on him

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:21:38 AM »
But his friendlynes can also be a bad thing if he comes across someone who dosnt like cats. I would keep him in for his own safety and to let him know where he lives. And you could get the problem of someone trying to claim the cat as he goes to their house, which could start arguments.

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
awwwwww he sounds a fab boy

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »
yeah, he is the super cheeky cat about town.  Like all cats, he is pretty and cute but he has that extra chutpah to run up to strangers, throw him self onto his back and ask for a good skratch...

We are all his harem...

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
7 famileys ! lol he sounds very clever he must be getting so much food ! and so much love and attention .

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:55:40 AM »
Thank you so much for getting back to me so damn quick...

To answer each query...

Yes, his real owner is lovely but not educated about Cat Welfare and in the 2.5 years she had him, he was never taken to the vets, chipped, neutered or vaccinated.  I have, in agreement with her and the other 7 families he visits (I put up posters), decided to take on his welfare, even if it makes him hate me as I am the nasty one to take him to the vet.  So, he has has jabs and flea teatments (he had fleas)...

...but now he has to go to the vet in 10 days for the snip and also to shove a chip in him (which I am doing not to put my stamp on him but ensure that any future owner knows his medial history).

I shall look at the page recommended me now and maybe post again once I have seen that.

Money is not an issue and it is a community where people do not have much and I am happy to ensure he is content but share him...

What I will do is ask for someone else to take him to the Vet as money may not be an issue for me but time is.

Thank you all so much.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »
I think it's wonderful you're letting him be "his own cat."

If you know for a fact that other people have the pleasure of his company, maybe you could approach them with regards to helping towards veterinary costs. If that's not an issue to you and you don't mind him being a bit of a hobo, then I think it's fine to let things stay the way they are.

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 10:16:02 AM »
awwwwwww
have u tried keeping him in ?
does he ask to go out by scracthing at the door ?
welcome to the boards by the way  :welcome:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »
I have never had a cat before I am a clean canvass for education...

There is lots of info on my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk.

Is it time for tough love?

My concern about this cat is that many other people may be feeding it and who knows some may also give it flea and worm treatments which is not good. (for more than one person to do anyway) I think it is nice for a cat to know it has a base. Perhaps you could read my lost and found page to make sure it really does not have an owner. You know what some owners are like even if a cat looks like it needs to go to the vets they don't bother
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat