Author Topic: Is it right I force a wandering cat to stay at home?  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Is it right I force a wandering cat to stay at home?
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2007, 17:05:56 PM »
CIA

Is that the Cat Intelligence Agency?  :evillaugh:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2007, 23:08:59 PM »
good god, cheap enough to put the CIa out of business

Not sure they'd be too interested in my 'images'  :evillaugh:  It's currently down the back of the computer desk where the subjects (Lucas & Riley) have knocked it down, they obviously objected to being filmed and I can't be bothered to fish it out. 

It was mainly to see what they got up to while I was at work as when they were babies I was coming home at lunch to check on them only to find them fast asleep and then they would get all excited by me coming home only for me to have to leave again  :(  Webcam cost £16 and came with free software needed to transfer the images to a free website, it can either do live streaming or motion detection.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2007, 23:01:10 PM »
good god, cheap enough to put the CIa out of business

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2007, 22:54:04 PM »
Idlly, I have wondered if there are surveiellance kits that can trigger a camera when a cat flap is opened, or destroyed in some cases...

The whole motion senor, night vision lens, digital tarnsfer cost might be high though eh?

A simple webcam will do the trick, I have my very own 'kitty cam' which can also be set to turn on with motion detection, the images are FTP'd to a free website but each indivisual still is also stored on the hard drive.  Forget night vision, leave a lamp on  ;) 

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2007, 22:44:06 PM »
Idlly, I have wondered if there are surveiellance kits that can trigger a camera when a cat flap is opened, or destroyed in some cases...

The whole motion senor, night vision lens, digital tarnsfer cost might be high though eh?

Maybe a cat retinal scan?

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2007, 21:38:26 PM »
ha ha  :evillaugh: got to catch him first lol  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2007, 19:14:56 PM »
Another £40 would sort the problem out for good   ;)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2007, 19:09:31 PM »
so I put up posters asking for help from anyone who saw him.  7 families replied. 

thats one smart little cookie ! ;) ;D ;D :rofl:

We had a cat like that when we were kids (1950's ) back then nobody had their cats spayed . He sired lots of little kits all over the place. Recently we had a Tom move into the neighbourhood and learnt to our cost what a problem intasct males cause. This Tom has cost me over £100 in vet bills for my cats (fighting) and £240 in special catflaps and countless hours cleaning furniture and walls of pungent urine spray.

Last night he burst through the electronic catflap splitting the plastic flap in two pieces.! sprayed the kitchen and left . Took me an hour to clean up this morning.  :censored:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 08:08:39 AM »
Aww, glad to hear there is a happy ending.
Please spay your cat

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 22:40:45 PM »
damn straight

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2007, 19:03:58 PM »
Aww, he sounds so happy (and you do too!)
By the time winter arrives he will be going nowhere  :evillaugh: hmm thinking about it winter is kinda here already  :(

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 16:32:03 PM »
In the last three months, it really feels like this is his home... he is chasing away intruding cats, being affectionate with me and my wife, has his favourite spots and stays here virtually every day...

he still has his getaway city breaks and calls on other neighbours but it seems healthy and safe for him (and in one place he gets to play fight with a fully grown rabbit... and apparently loses)..

Yes, thank you, he's a super cat and finally, a happy cat.  I believe.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2007, 16:59:06 PM »
Hows it going with Preet?

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 18:03:12 PM »
I was stressed at first but that has given way to trust that he knows what he wants... I'm glad my tips helped...

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2007, 15:22:50 PM »
hi and thanks for the tips. I'm eyeing a macbook but they are awfully expensive for quite a simple machine.....

ha! you aren't a 'cat owner'; like all of us you are the one that's owned and are a humble cat servant  ;)  Joking apart, it sounds like Preet has found what he wants to do. The only question is if you are comfortable or really stressed by the thought of his wandering and maybe losing him.  They do get used to being in one place but it can take time.
Mine are house cats but, being unwell and working from home, I could spend hours seeing to their whims :-) which is not realistic if you are working out of home.

all the best.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
In truth, I think the approach of letting him have the choice to come and go, but have anything he needs or wants here is finally having the desired effect and he is starting to settle here but I am not expecting him to continue that as he might decide to wander for a bit again at any moment.

The neighbours and the misery was mainly in my head and spoke of my ignoarnce as a cat owner.  I feel in a better place now.

ccmacey

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
Could you not try keeping him as a house cat? Or have you tried that? Maybe cat proof the garden? Have to admit its not nice having to deal with unsociable people. But once again you are in the right, Preet is yours.

I know its not fair to keep him from doing what he likes to do but if its causing you misery having to deal with these people then do whats right for you. Preet will soon know where his true home is. Are these people feeding him? Or has he got a friend in their house he likes to go and see? I would be fuming if someone was doing this with my cat, but then again you aquired preet under different curcumstances.

Who's cat was he anyway? Did someone leave him behind or was he stray?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:00:31 AM by ccmacey »

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:56 AM »
wow, that's cool...

I have the sad situation that the dad is a drunk and has had slagging matches with me... the daughter is more friendly but a liar and has, at least once, lied to me saying that preet is not there when I am sure he is.  If I had proof or was sure, I might change my tune but if they treat him well enough that he still goes on occasion, then who am I to stop him making his little cat choices...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2007, 08:08:04 AM »
If it is possible, you could do what I did and just go round every night to pick him up - I was lucky in that I also had a key in case one of theirs wouldnt' go in and they went out, so I could go and retrieve him myself if they had gone out.
Please spay your cat

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2007, 20:28:24 PM »
yeah, it is hard when neighbours kep yur cat, fighting that here too...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »
i think you are doing the right thing - there are no guarantees that keeping him in longer will have an effect, Ginger was kept in for 6 weeks, and still liked spending time in other people's houses - it is easier when you know which house to go and retrieve them from though, it was the only way he came home most nights (sometimes didn't get to him before the neighbours went to bed, and never got them to check for him before they locked up for the night!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2007, 23:43:37 PM »
Certainly, he is a clever boy... I reall think he knows we are his home but that may not stop him going off and exploring

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2007, 23:30:25 PM »
"The last three days, he's been here almost all the time"

Sounds to me like Preet has found his forever home without being forced into it. Clever boy.  :Luv:

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2007, 11:25:41 AM »
OK, first the video...

Aside from the camera, you'll need a firewire cable (this might have come with the camera).  If you need one, go to any high street store and you can get it for about £16.  Then you need the software.  I am a mac user and I used iMovie (quite simple to use) that comes free with macs.  If you are a PC user, go to this page (at computeractive magazine who do cheap and decent stuff) and you might track down other free downloads in other categoeies.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/downloads/video-recording-and-editing   

The film you took will download into your computer very simply as a series of shots you can mix and change the lengths of.  Then, when you have made a simple edit, then add an MP3 as a soundtrack, then  go to www.youtube.com, and then click top right, 'upload movies', sign up an account, free and simple, then upload a movie as long as it is less than 100Mb in size and then they re-size it.  Very simple.

My movie was edited to the music as exactly as I could do it and it took me quite a long time but I am interested in learning the skill so could be bothered.  If you need other advice, then please ask...

..and second, the cat

He has started coming back again.  Learning about his solitary hunter nature and his instincts, my wife and I have decided that we are going to keep our house open for him.  We love him and want him to be here but on his terms.  I know it is a gamble and some of you may feel I am letting him go, but he comes and goes, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.  I guess I am fed up with worrying about where he his and if he is happy.  I have provided everything I can and it is his choice as to how much of his time he spends with us.  The last three days, he's been here almost all the time but I shall not hold him to that or shut my doors.  I know it is taking a chance but I feel this is the best choice for us and him.

Does that make sense?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007, 21:45:16 PM »
Just gave in and watched your video. In answer to your question and comments on the other thread, yes with him ,  I would easily covince myself that it is right to force a wandering cat to stay home for, I'd say, 8 consecutive weeks an dsee how it goes. Has he turned up again yet at yours?  He is adoreable. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »
Great vid. How do you get started doing that? (briefly) I'd love to - what do I need (apart from vid cam  ;) ), what software do you use?

Preet is v cute, love that white stripe down the tum.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2007, 13:49:11 PM »
I saw the comment... thank you very much

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 13:27:27 PM »
What a great video. He's really a beautiful cat. Posted a rating for you, and a comment. Put it in my faves too.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 21:40:59 PM »
glad you liked it...

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 21:30:47 PM »
the video is fab he is so gorgeous  :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 21:05:55 PM »
By the way, here is the short video I made about Preet... I hope you enjoy it, I had a blast making it and editing it (with help from composer John Powell)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCi5_LcMPJA

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
Yes, It has worked out, really quite wonderfully, though I am guarding against making assumptions and will take whatever love he has to offer and afford him the freedom he needs...

Thank you again

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
Hurrah! Glad everything's worked out.  ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 09:44:52 AM »
I was asked to update you and here I go...

Everything is great.  After keeping him for two weeks, he has really settled and we feel very much that he wants to be here with us.  Yes, it was painful keeping him in when I could see his need to go off but we held our heads together and let him out when it felt right rather than when the time limit was up and it worked wonders. 

Now, he comes and goes as he pleases but this is his home and though he may visit others, it's all good.

Once again, thank you

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 16:24:26 PM »
Men seem to get squeamish about giving tom cats the chop. I wonder why?  :Crazy:
I wasn't at all squeamish about getting Pimpernel neutered. Just don't expect me to think about it too much OK?  :rofl:

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 12:51:15 PM »
Thinking about it, 'slicing off knackers' and 'humane' just do not seem to be phrases that should be in the same sentence

Of course, for little girl cats, the same holds true but why is it that the operation for girls is always portrayed in the light of saving them from harm and little boys get the chop?  I wonder if it is because it was men that created that perception in the first place... speaking as a man

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
I dont think us queens would let our tom's get away with that would we.

Absolutely not, chop um off is what I say. In a most humane way of course.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
Yes Ela I dont think us queens would let our tom's get away with that would we.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
Men seem to get squeamish about giving tom cats the chop

Years ago I mentioned in a local Newspaper write up that I am often told by women the reason they don't have their unneutered toms 'done', is that their husbands/ partners won't let them. (As if that would work with any of us).
Anyway I had forpotten about it until one day a National Newspaper rang me up and asked all about my comment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
We certainly do get sqeamish but I hope that in no way that sqeamishness makes us feel it is less than necessary.

Link to CatChat