Author Topic: He's always cold.  (Read 25883 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: He's always cold.
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
Am glad he is seeming so much better.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2007, 23:05:03 PM »
Aww thanks peeps.  :Luv:

I know he deserves better and thats what he's getting now. But I fear a lot more naughtiness to come  :evillaugh:

He has even been playing "cat fishing" with my son.  ;D He's  truly a different cat  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2007, 22:33:55 PM »
So pleased that Ollie is being naughty and himself, he deserves this after all he has been through  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2007, 17:37:39 PM »
That's good news!  Glad Ollies is more himself and is acting more kittenish.  Sounds like he's much happier in himself.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2007, 13:07:45 PM »
It does sound as if Ollie can be himself again.  I'm so glad the jabs are working for him.  The other cats will probably make their feelings known to him sooner or later.

Good news  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

ccmacey

« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »
Yep, he's still going strong and no horrid salava or scabs forming around his mouth  ;D Its been near a month now I can see his mouth is still sore looking inside but he's getting back to his old young self  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »
perhaps this was the real ollie all along and the steriods are at last giving some deserving relief.

ccmacey

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
Argh! Ollie has reverted back to kittenhood and he's being a very naughty boy. He was a very naughty kitten, never letting up and as he has been ill for a while its all going to come out now  :shy: He keeps diving all over the other cats, Ted mostly and he's even biting them, I think they are getting fed up with him.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »
I would just like to say CC  :thanks: for restarting this thread on the topic you originally started. It makes it so much easier to grasp the full implictions instead of needing to read a number of different named topics about the same situation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:10:45 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2007, 08:01:15 AM »
Glad there is an option though CC.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2007, 21:51:13 PM »
So pleased he is feeling better  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2007, 18:10:29 PM »
Thanks peeps  :Luv: Ollie is better after the jabs but he will still have this for the rest of his life.  :(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 18:11:50 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2007, 15:22:56 PM »
Great news CC, especially when it wasn't looking to good a while ago. Lets hope he keeps on getting better.  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2007, 13:54:59 PM »
awwww im pleased he seems to be improving cc
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2007, 13:44:10 PM »
Ollie has recently had a steroid and an antibiotic jab, it seems to be working.  ;D All the saliva around his mouth totally cleared up the next day and the area is still clean, his breath is not so much of a stench anymore. He seems to be doing good with this and has even started having his mad moments again  :)

The vet has said he has Stomitus and its the worst case HE had seen  :( But I'm glad these jabs are doing some good for him.

I think Ollie is relieved too because he doesn't have to have his tablets.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2007, 13:10:59 PM »
Good luck with whatever decision you make about what needs to be done to help Ollie, CC.

At the end of the day, that's what we all have to do; decide what we feel is in the best interests of an animal we love a great deal.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2007, 13:05:24 PM »
whatever..i just hope ollie doesnt suffer too badly for however long a life he has.

ccmacey

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
Yes Im not going to pester anyone anymore about this cos its just going nowhere. So thats all I can do and I'll just have to go along with the advice the vets give, wether I like it or not.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2007, 22:42:14 PM »
No, there aren't any guarantees, but at the end of the day, forums are about giving advice and support, we can't make the decisions for the owners, and there is no point going over the same old thing, it doesn't help the poor cat in question. I do think there may be a possibility of getting a cheaper quote than £500 though, but I think that is realistically the only route left, I think we have exhausted everything else now, and the final decision rests with CC, regardless of what we think should be done
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2007, 22:33:15 PM »
but the point is i dont think even god himself can give a gaurantee. so whether the odds are 50 or 80% a decision needs to be made..i this was something like cancer there wouldnt be months and months to ponder over the decision and dont think that long should be taken. 

CC can/will you speak to the pdsa and ask if at all possible they could try and remove some/all the teeth including the roots but do half the mouth or even 1/4 of the mouth at a  time (blood tests should defo be done before ga considering his meds) and could you suggest making a considerable contribution to the pdsa.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2007, 22:21:15 PM »
Dont' know, at the end of the day, only CC can make that decision, she is the one living with him day in day out and knows what he is like. I just think there is no point continuously telling her to go ahead and do the op when she has told us what her reservations are on it. My only suggestion is to see if there is a friendly local rescue who can recommend their vet and see if a third vet can tell her definitely one way or the other if the op will work - if it wont, and he will still be in pain afterwards, I personally wouldn't put my cat through a full dental, it takes ages for their gums to harden up, although my experience was with a 13 year old, so might not be as hard on a youngster.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2007, 22:11:00 PM »
Then Desley what precisely is the answer. If its going round in circles and the solution doesnt work, what is helping Oliie?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2007, 22:02:55 PM »
Ruth - the points you have said have been brought up time and time again, this is just going round in circles and the only thing it is going to acheive is CC getting very stressed and worked up (talking from experience), which isn't going to help Ollie - she has explained why it isn't as simple as just going to the private vet and doing the op.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2007, 21:54:53 PM »
CC i was just thinking..could you take some pics of ollie because a)  ive never seen him yet spoken so much about him and b) if ya get your oh to help you, you could take some pics of his teeth and gums ... this might let us see better what we are talking about.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2007, 21:51:38 PM »
CC I'm sorry, I am posting here late, but I have been reading this thread for a couple days. It has, as has been said before, been going round in circles.

Essentially you have a cat that could be seriously ill, please get something done about it. I hate to think that a cat is suffering needlessly while all this to-ing and fro-ing is going on. You need to put Ollie first and get this treated. If you have the funds, the please do so but give him a chance.

Valuable precious time is being wasted.

I am saying this only because of what I have read so far, and its not intended to offend, but please, get him treated. Don't wait three weeks, please.

I feel for you because you want to do whats best but aren't sure whats right to do for Ollie.  So do all of us for our babes, we love them and want whats best for them, I know thats what you want too.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2007, 19:57:06 PM »
by a vet who dosnt know jack in my eyes.

but presumably a damned sight more than you or I !!! (5 or 6 years at vet school normally does enhance their knowledge some what)

down side is having the resources to do it private

i thought you could find the money if you had to ?

he dosnt get ill as often as he used to, although his mouth is still sore

How long would you like to suffer with a permanently sore mouth  --- thats what i was meaning by prioritise and plan of action.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2007, 19:51:14 PM »
I think I will retire gracefully from this topic, because otherwise I fear it may be disgracefully.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 19:54:11 PM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2007, 19:45:51 PM »
3 weeks time, unless I need to take him before.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2007, 19:41:25 PM »
will talk to the vet next time and say about these things, down side is having the resources to do it private. Im seeing the senior vet next time so he knows more about Ollies case.

Can I ask when is next time please?

ccmacey

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2007, 18:59:04 PM »
I will talk to the vet next time and say about these things, down side is having the resources to do it private. Im seeing the senior vet next time so he knows more about Ollies case.

Ollies is quiter than the others but he's not that bad that I should be thinking about PTS. I wasnt offended by that as its been suggested before by a vet who dosnt know jack in my eyes.

The tables he's on are stabilising his condition and he's not getting as down because he dosnt get ill as often as he used to, although his mouth is still sore. They changed the anti-b's and they are doing more good than the others were.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2007, 18:25:59 PM »
[qoute]PS this post was in no way meant to upset or offend but i thought having it in black and white so to speak would help prioratise the actions to be taken.[/quote]

I agree with your post lynn, a while ago I wrote this topic is going around in circles, now it has also gone side to side, up and down and corner to corner. While ever we continue to discuss and re-discuss little Ollie continues to suffer. Something needs to be done NOW.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 19:55:12 PM by Ela »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2007, 18:13:07 PM »
i seem to remember me questioning the antibiotics a while back and suggesting a prolonged dose of antirobe, this can be safely doubled in dosage.

also..bottom line is

ollie isnt overly happy (or atleast thats the impression given)  it has been said he is just a quieter cat and part of that may be the case, my older boys are pretty quiet (apart from meal times LOL) but they were slightly more in my face when they were younger.  Often is the case a quiet cat will be like that due to stress/pain/illness/unhappiness.  Are you able to work out what bracket ollie falls under cc ??

I think you need to set yourself a clear plan of action ..you have spoken to pdsa vets, you have spoken to private vets.  I can understand the pdsa not blood testing him if he appears clinically healthy due to reasourses (i disagree with that decision entirely and as he is on long term medication he SHOULD be bloodtested ATLEAST 1 x per year) If this was my cat i'd be taking him to a private vet and paying for those bloods before the weeks end was out (if the long term steriods have affected him this could be part of why he is so quiet and seems miserable on some days).
Decide what you are going to do after that bloods...you know there are no gaurantees with the dental but it is one of your few options available..was interferon suggested at some point ???? (i cant remember)
You will need to decide on how long you are prepared to let ollie go on like this, it may be he isnt nearly as bad as it has sounded on here but altho no one wants to see a young apparently healthy cat pts due to mouth problems you cant reliistically allow him to trudge along being miserable so you may have to face up to the worst case senario no matter how hard that is or how much you dont want to think about it.

PS this post was in no way meant to upset or offend but i thought having it in black and white so to speak would help prioratise the actions to be taken.

ccmacey

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2007, 18:00:21 PM »
No he's been on 5mg since he's started on them, will ask the vet about that though. See I know nothing about these things so Im just presuming the vet is right.  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2007, 17:04:36 PM »
It bothers me that they are happy to just leave him on steroids knowing it will damage his health & isnt actually helping that much

That is one of my concerns, especially as I know that many vets are not happy for cats to be on steroids for any length of time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2007, 16:41:25 PM »
I think 80% is a good rate.
CC i remember you saying it cost £200 a month for Ollies current treatment at your private vet. If Ollie was one of the 20% and needed to continue on steroids you can buy them online for 5p each, thats £15.50 a month and a consultation charge every 3 or 6 months to get further prescriptions. I think you should try to get some Antirobe from the PDSA and see if they make him more comfy for the time being.
It bothers me that they are happy to just leave him on steroids knowing it will damage his health & isnt actually helping that much   >:(  has there been any attempt at reducing his dose to see if he stays the same?

ccmacey

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2007, 16:20:29 PM »
Yep me too and more to come, I think my brain will be moving home soon.  :shy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2007, 16:18:31 PM »
no i'm not daft at all...i just mainly have poor memory since having the kids with the odd spell of confusion  :Crazy:

ccmacey

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2007, 15:56:22 PM »
So we all daft here then?  :evillaugh:

Thats fine Lynn, I will have a look.

Ps I confused myself with that post too ha ha.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2007, 14:59:54 PM »
no your all right ela, we may be quite a few years apart in age but my brain doesnt function much better  :rofl: god help me in 20 years  :Crazy:

CC i just typed dr addie into google and it comes up...SHE is based in glasgow vet school i think...google it and have a more thorough look for yourself before sending anything..sorry i'd get addys for you etc but im just not functioning well enough today.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2007, 14:54:25 PM »
Ha ha dont take the pee, ya's know Im a bit daft.

We weren't, the post was a bit confusing thats all and it doen't take much to confuse us, well me anyway, I better not answer for Lynn. ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 15:04:41 PM by Ela »

Link to CatChat