Author Topic: Wet food help needed!  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Wet food help needed!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 17:40:11 PM »
You know, I don't remember where I read that (or thought I read that).  The packaging has changed a lot recently and I'm sure at some point I noticed cereal and was a bit taken aback by it. 

Or maybe I'm getting confused with 'derivatives of vegetable origin' (what exactly does that mean anyway?).  I certainly never used to think there was cereal in NM.  The above was copy and pasted from a recent yahoo answers response.  I guess I'm wrong about the cereal!

Ah, yes the derivatives of vegetable origin! perhaps thats what it was as there's deffo no cereals listed on the ingredients - well there werent anyway, I've not used it for a couple of months. I got in touch with natures menu about the 'derivatives of veg origian' and they told me it was just vegetable oil.   ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 17:26:10 PM »
I no longer look for Senior food for my seniors, I go for either high meat or high fibre foods now (Molly needs high fibre, so she has Asda Tiger Senior or Perfect Fit), for high meat they have a mix of NM and HiLife at the moment, as I forgot to order anything from Zooplus. The HiLife little tins are 4 for £1 in Asda, a pretty much long term offer, as are the Essentials 3 for £1 - very few places have the rights to sell Essentials though, think it is only Asda and Wilkinsons.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 16:24:08 PM »
Cereals Susanne? the packs I've had don't mention cereals at all.

You know, I don't remember where I read that (or thought I read that).  The packaging has changed a lot recently and I'm sure at some point I noticed cereal and was a bit taken aback by it.  Maybe it was a one off error or maybe Im just imagining it.  Or maybe I'm getting confused with 'derivatives of vegetable origin' (what exactly does that mean anyway?).  I certainly never used to think there was cereal in NM.  The above was copy and pasted from a recent yahoo answers response.  I guess I'm wrong about the cereal!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 16:10:40 PM »
The turkey and giblet pates are complete  ;D when george got ill he was mainly eating them.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 15:48:07 PM »
Natures Menu - available from pets at home, small pet shops and used to be sold in Tesco but I have a feeling they've discontinued it now. 70% meat and no crap. It does contain a bit of cereal unfortunately and some sugar, but it's still a good food, imo, due to the high meat content and the fact that it's a complete food.

Cereals Susanne? the packs I've had don't mention cereals at all.

Another good wet food/high meat content is Forthglade http://www.forthglade.com/naturalMenu.asp - many independent pet shops stock or you can get it online.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 15:39:28 PM »
Thanks so much for this - it's like a whole new world!!!

She liked the Felix trays, but doesn't like anything too fishy - she loves beef, rabbit  :( and lamb varieties of stuff. She is also very picky about things in jelly unless I mash it into a pate because then she only eats the jelly and not the meat. I think that keeping with the pate consistency might be a good idea as she likes that, and maybe i'll just try her on a bit of this and that until I can please her!!! She has a pretty robust tummy and doesn't mind her food being changed every now and again.

Thanks again - this info is invaluble!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 14:11:32 PM »
Some good wet foods imo:

Natures Menu - available from pets at home, small pet shops and used to be sold in Tesco but I have a feeling they've discontinued it now. 70% meat and no crap. It does contain a bit of cereal unfortunately and some sugar, but it's still a good food, imo, due to the high meat content and the fact that it's a complete food.

Hi Life. Available from PAH, most supermarkets, Wilkinsons. 60% meat. No grains. The poultry and meat pouches are not complete however, so need to be fed alongside a complete food. Hi Life Essentials are complete (available singly). They contain 50% meat with just the addition of tapioca, vitamins and minerals.

Natures Harvest. Available from PAH. Maybe smaller pet shops too but I've only seen it at PAH. 90% meat. Great food - ingredients: fresh chicken (90%), scottish salmon oil, cranberry, taurine, minerals and vitamins. It comes in foil trays and it tends to be difficult to spot on the shelf as there's only one flavour (chicken) and it tends to be stacked in a small box at the end of a display section.

Tesco Luxury - available from Tesco obviously! 50% meat. contains tapioca starch but no grains. Available in boxes of 12 pouches - they do a chicken selection and a fish selection.

Applaws/Almo nature - available from small pet stores or zooplus. organic, human grade meat. high meat content (70% I think). Shredded chicken (or fish) with a small amount of rice and cooking broth. Pretty much the same - almo nature is an italian brand whereas applaws is a UK brand. Almo nature does a bigger variety of flavours. It's a complementary food though, so can't be fed exclusively.

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws_cat...

Bozita/Animonda Carny - available from zooplus. Good quality foods with a high meat content. Both do contain some by products, but european regulations regarding what can go into pet food are much stricter than those in the US (only meat from animals passed fit for human consumption is allowed to go into pet food) and they are named by products (eg chicken by product rather than the vague meat by product) so I don't have a problem with that since I don't feed them exclusively. They are both very economical.

I also feed Cosma, Eagle Pack and Miamor from zooplus

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canne...

There are probably a few more I've not mentioned. I tend to wander around the pet food aisle in supermarkets and pick up tins to read the ingredients. Sometimes I find foods that have a good meat content and low/no grains so will give them a try.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 14:16:33 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 14:03:01 PM »
I give my seniors mainly Whiskas & Felix senior as it is gentler on their digestion and kidneys. Some foods are a bit too rich for them. The favourite at the moment is the new Whiskas fishernan's choice senior in Jelly. If I get the other one, they won't touch the rabbit or lamb flavours. They also love Felix senior in jelly but only in pouches, they won't eat the alutrays. I don't go to Asda often but when I do, I always buy a few boxes of their own Tiger senior - it only comes in chicken but they love it and it's only £2 a box - good for a change. They won't touch Whiskas senior in gravy  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 15:40:42 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 13:55:13 PM »
I feed my girls Natures Menu (from PAH in a multibox of 48) its 70% meat so one of the best content wise you can also buy in packs of 12 for about £4.60 ish.  My girls love it and turn their noses up at Whiskas (only about 3% or 4% meat)

:innocent:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 13:51:04 PM »
She looooves Highlife Turkey Giblet pates, but I *think* they might be complimentary.

We buy the Hi Life Essentials (complete) for Jameson. I think the meat content is 40-50%. We buy the boxes from Asda, I think 12 pouches for £2.88. He adores them, although he won't touch it if I mix with water (like I used to do with his pouches in gravy). So I'm having a bit of a hard time getting him to drink.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 13:34:10 PM »
Well, Winston only really likes Felix sachets ( you can get them singly -but there is a code on them - if it says DEBW -he will not eat them -they are made at a different factory -so i found out ! - if they say GB they are ok although these are mainly in the boxes ) he also likes the supermeat felix ones too - Sophie will eat a little bit of it and so will Bungly . They also occasionally have a hi-life sachet ( tuna or chicken ) but they are not over keen.
Smartie only really likes Whiskers supermeat -chicken pref . and occasionally rabbit - Soph and Bungly also like this WInston will not touch it !
They also have RC Persian and James well-beloved Turkey and Rice and Smartie has Hills c/d
On Saturdays Winston has a piece of Cod Loin or a few prawns ( the others don''t like fish or prawns !!)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 13:26:46 PM »
Foofoo is circa 10 years old and she is fed a mixture of dry and wet food.

She has RC Persian biscuits and Gourmet Pearl sachets, she tends to go off or not even touch the other brands.  You can buy the sachets in singles in Tesco, Wilkinsons and Morrisons. ;)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Wet food help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 13:19:47 PM »
Katie had her annual booster this morning and is currently sleeping it off on the sofa. Everything went well, she has a little bit of overlap on her teeth of her gums so I have to keep an eye out for it turning and then she might need more teeth out, but that's not a worry as long as I keep an eye on her. The vet asked what food I feed her (PAH Senior mainly). He said that the dried food was probably why her teeth were so clean, but recommended a bit more of a wet diet as she is getting older (7ish) and it will help with her scurfy skin.

Soooooo........ I've only ever really fed her dried food and the wet i've fed her, tends to be low meat content, but if it's going to be her main diet, then I need it to be high quality as she is my little baby and I luffs her  :innocent:

What do people recommend and what is the best way to introduce it? I tend to leave biscuits down and she doesn't have set meal times. She looooves Highlife Turkey Giblet pates, but I *think* they might be complimentary. Is there a cheap way to check what she might like, as I don't want to buy lots of stuff and her not eat it! (Although it would just go to the foster cats)

Any recommendations????????

(Soz for the ramble, but I just want to get it right, as we've all had the noses turned up at food!!!)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat