Author Topic: baths  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: baths
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 23:39:58 PM »
I bath all my Persians! (and blow dry them!)  - about every couple of months or so, depending on the coat. Its the best way to keep the coats from matting and they don't need much grooming in between baths, because the fur just doesnt knot up after bathing.  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 23:10:44 PM »
Can you bath cats? I've never heard of it before!! Oh dear, the thought of trying to give Jameson a bath... dear lord! No way. Besides he is very clean and smells gorgeous anyway.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 23:02:02 PM »
they dont a ctually smell any more i think its because they dont use the litter tray as much and i make sure its a hell of a lot cleaner (Cleaned ALL the time not being so lazy now lol) although it wasnt exactly bad before but jst making sure its really clean now

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
I Would certainly mention it to the vets, the only time mine have ever smelt of poo is when they have got some on their fur, but baby wipes are enough to sort that out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
I've never bathed a cat either (except the time Bluto feel in the bath while I was in it!) Star is a long haired mainly white cat and she never smells and only when it is wet outside has dirty feet you should ask the vet about this

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »
I have never bathed my cats (all short hair) and they smell lovely - especially kylie - she smells like perfume and I wonder where the smell comes from sometimes (clean washing I expect  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 00:16:45 AM »
Bonnie also sticks her bum in my face sometimes and guess what?...........................  she hasn't got a tail!!!   :naughty: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl:
Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 23:53:32 PM »
Misa smell so lovely when he has been out in the rain  ;D

Now Ducha he sleeps on my bed and with his tail end nearest me.....................I dont feel offended  :rofl: :rofl: only when he lies on nmy head grrrrrrrrrrrr, no smell.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 23:49:03 PM »
I still can't understand why they smell, I would ask your vet when you are there tomorrow.  I had 2 outdoor cats, one 26 yrs old and one 13 yrs old - never had to bath them - dry them with a towel when out in the rain, yes.  Had Bonnie since Dec 13th and she is indoor cat and she goes in her tray but does not smell of anything and she sits around my neck when I'm sat down so I think I would smell something.  Is the poo runny and in a place on the kittens you can't see maybe? or some sick or milk that might've dried on their fur?

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 23:46:51 PM »
yeah come to think of it they had runny bums i believei t was because i gave them human food i wont any more but i couldnt help feeling for them cute faces :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 23:45:27 PM »
They should not smell like that, have they had runny bums or dont theu clean themselves.

I would get the vet to check em out.

I can snuggle with mine and they smell lovely  ;D

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 23:34:20 PM »
there still quite young getting neutered tomorrow actually but they stink of cat poo from the litter tray and yes i clean it regulary! i cant stand the smell:| maybe its just me getting a bit to close to them but i love a cuddle lol

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 17:27:08 PM »
I have never had to bath a cat in over 10yrs, so I would also wonder why they need a bath.

Same here.  And I hope to go another 10 years without having to do it.  What is smelly about them?  Is it a smelly bum due to runny poos or something?  Wipes should be enough to deal with that.  Otherwise they shouldn't really be smelly.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 16:56:13 PM »
I have to say the only time I have met a cat with BO it was because it was so infested with fleas that the flea dirt stank. Can't imagine a cat smelling of anything but delicate perfume, myself (unless it is smidgen and he has been lying on the dog again!!)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 16:51:44 PM »
We only had Archie a few weeks and every day he was getting into some major mischief. One day he managed to get in wood preservative and much to his absolute annoyance had to be bathed every few hours, it was a nightmare. That is the only time we have bathed a cat. :shocked:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 14:57:28 PM »
I have never had to bath a cat in over 10yrs, so I would also wonder why they need a bath.

The thought Of trying to give Misa a bath fills me with horror  :rofl: :rofl:  He smells so nice  ;D

Offline summerleft

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 14:52:59 PM »
I have all on getting mine close to water even when its just to rinse the flea comb! lol ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 14:52:07 PM »
I am not sure if they go outside, but as long as an indoor cat I really don't think they would need of a bath, unless they have a serious flea problem.  Oliver, who is 80% snow white, manages to remains that way even after mucking about in a dusty corner behind/under the furnitures, and when I put my face against him he is always nice, fluffy and has a nice comforting clean smell (difficult to explain though...) on his fur! :Luv:

If they are indoor, I agree it may be a case to check if they have a problem with toilet, skin etc. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 14:52:43 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 14:38:36 PM »
I'd like to see Max let me try and give him a bath, there would be no chance!

Have to say in the 7 years he's been with me, he's never been smelly or in need of extra cleaning .... have to agree with Desley's last comment.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 14:35:12 PM »
I would be wondering why the kittens are getting smelly to be honest, I dont think it is normal. how old are they, and are they neutered?
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 13:13:02 PM »
hi me again. my kittens are starting to get a bit smelly can i bath them i know they dont like water but wont they grow to get used to it etc i heard they are strong swimmers also?

Yes you can bath them, but its not something you'll need to do often unless they are longhaired, then it helps to keep the coats from matting (if you blow dry afterwards). Its true they don't tend to like being immersed in water, so its best if you can stand them on something in the bath (I use an upturned fold-up crate from the diy places, or you could use an upturned plastic laundry basket) I place a bath mat on top of the crate to make it more comfortable for the paws!

Dilute some cat shampoo (so its already premixed with water and you don't have to wet the coat first) into a squeezy bottle, squeeze it all over the coat, then rinse with the shower attachment, towel dry (or blow dry if longhaired).

Heres a pic of Suzie on the crate I use with the bath mat on top.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
They smell nice too ! (Leo hates the smell & runs a mile when I get the pack out !!!) But a cats gotta be clean !  :evillaugh:

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
lol fair enough good idea

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »
To save you the scratches & them the stress you can buy wipes that give the kitties a mini bath without having to immerse them in water - I use these with Leo.. He loves water but its a bit cold to be putting them in the bath (In my flat any how !!) :evillaugh:

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
baths
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »
hi me again. my kittens are starting to get a bit smelly can i bath them i know they dont like water but wont they grow to get used to it etc i heard they are strong swimmers also?

Link to CatChat