Author Topic: Calming down my cats  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Calming down my cats
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 14:55:00 PM »
I just knocked on my nextdoor neighbours as She was saying earlier that they had got something to calm their dog down, She gave me the bottle and it was Valerian drops. I have put a couple of drops in Lilly and Tramps mouths. (dont know if that will work ?) 

Yes, you can put it directly in their mouths, but also in their food, thats what I've been doing when I feed them every morning or evening, just a couple of drops in George's food - he doesnt seem to notice it.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »
Willow came home at 2.30AM and I will try to keep her under house arrest for the next few days!!

It was actually Tramp who was the worse last night, I didnt have him this time last year so didnt know how he would be but i thought as he was a stray last year it wouldnt have bothered him.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
I got some Serene-UM from PAH and gave them a go with Dave...they did calm him down quite a lot but the tablets are quite big, which could be a downside - Dave's good at taking meds but even he was having bother with them.

I changed to the Scullcap and Valerian [which are somewhat smaller] and he takes them well but over yesterday and today he seems to have gotten a bit skittish again, mind you..that could well be due the increase in fireworks.

I'd defo try the Serene-UM though Angie and see how Max gets on with them  :) Oh and according to the write up, there are no probs with giving Serene-UM long term; I just thought that herbal would be a better option.

:luck:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
I got Max some Serene-UM drops from vets uk they arrived yesterday, so I am going to give them ago, anyone tried them or know about them
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 22:11:13 PM »
Thanks to Gillian I got some Scullcap and Valerian tablets for Dave and he's really not bothering with the fireworks...I got them for his anxious peeing but they're working with airbombs as well  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 22:13:04 PM by lilycat »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 22:10:49 PM »
Like a lot of you have said, and I just remembered, when there was loud bangs " I maybe swore, But I didn't react to them. and would just turn volume Up then " I think that's the secret, dont show any concern !!
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 22:06:00 PM »
A FEW BANGS ROUND HERE BUT MARY IS UNFAZED AND SLEEPING ON THE SOFA  :Luv: 

ALWAYS THINK ORGANISED DISPLAYS ARE SO MUCH BETER AND SAFER THAN AT HOME AND OUT OF THE WAY HOPEFULLY OF PETS

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 21:47:13 PM »
I am all for bringing in a ban that keeps fireworks just for large displays and only on the 5th ! At least we get it over and done with on one night !!

My lot arnt allowed at a night but some idiots even let fireworks off in the day - whats the point of that ??

p.s
Willow is on one of her walk abouts - been gone 2 days again !!   She must have been so frightened tonight, where ever she is ??!!!!
Aww Michelle - it's hard not to worry, isn't it?  I'm sure Willow has found a nice, safe spot away from any 'action' ... and she may not be as frightened as you fear she is.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 21:34:56 PM »
I am all for bringing in a ban that keeps fireworks just for large displays and only on the 5th ! At least we get it over and done with on one night !!

My lot arnt allowed at a night but some idiots even let fireworks off in the day - whats the point of that ??

p.s
Willow is on one of her walk abouts - been gone 2 days again !!   She must have been so frightened tonight, where ever she is ??!!!!

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 21:29:06 PM »
The advice in the vets yesterday is not to try to pacify them as they will sense something is wrong. It says as hard as it is, ignore them - well just carry on as normal.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

My three were looking a little oopsy when the bangs started, but I carried on as usual and within minutes they were settled again, and have been all evening :)  They had a bigger reaction last year (their first guy fawkes) but keeping nonchalant seemed to help a lot.

Having said that, I know some animals are absolutely terrified and no amount of ignoring them is going to help.  What makes me mad is that, WHY should we (well some of you) be at your wits end trying to find DRUGS! FGS to dope up your animals because of some stupid, anti-social event that has got way out of hand over the years.  It really is not on ... Ban fireworks, I say.  My poor lot had to stay in all day today (and will tomorrow ... AND on the 5th) just in case I don't get home before dark as there's no way I'm letting them stay out once the blitz starts.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 21:26:49 PM »
The idiots at the back of us about 100yards have lit the biggest bonfire and have spent £1500 on fireworks,poor Anastasia who is normally almost deaf has had a rude awakening and is terrified; I just thank God that these poor babies are no longer on the streets.
Think I need to do some urgent moving about ready for tomorrow. Mine constanly listen to classical fm but it doesnt compare with the awful noise these modern fireworks make; roll on Easter.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 21:26:14 PM »
All over !!!

I got myself really upset tonight, ended up in tears as i couldnt stand to see my babies in such a state.

Hope Phoebe is ok pappilon - poor baby.

When i worked in the cattery i used to feel so sorry for the cats. The lights were left on and the Radio but last year the girl on the evening shift forgot to put the lights on and a Cat died that year ! She was found dead on the floor the following morning.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 21:15:03 PM »
Not that this is constructive, but when I tried to pacify Blip yesterday evening, she scratched my wrist - and she never does that, ever  :scared:

Tonight we are all together (my OH was out yesterday evening and I am sure that was a contributory factor to Blips unease) and we have battened down the hatches with classical music playing rather more loudly than usual.

Blip is alert, but calm (touch wood)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 21:12:56 PM »
It started in our area tonight , and Phoebe is hiding in my wardrobe :scared:, but boy sleeping like a log....

Its tomorrow night i am worried about , imagine all the ones which are in rescues and there are no radio or TV to turn on for them and the wild life :(

BTW, I tried rescue remedy , few weeks back when it started, and it didnt make any different? I think it works for some but not for Phoebe.

OOk, i am going to seat with her now for a while till she calms down.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 20:44:29 PM »
The advice in the vets yesterday is not to try to pacify them as they will sense something is wrong. It says as hard as it is, ignore them - well just carry on as normal.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 20:39:24 PM »
My Mates dog Cindy( :RIP: ) used to be absolutely terrified of them and would cower ina corner shaking violently :(
she did get put on medication to calm her down, which did help a lot.
Misty and Hamish used to Jump when a there was a loud Bang, and that's when I used to put the Music or Tv up Loud
they would still hear the Bangs but were less concerned.

Poor Tramp and Lilly :( give them a comforting  :hug: from me  :Luv:
 :censored: firework's  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 20:40:32 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 20:08:44 PM »
Poor things  :hug:

No fireworks here and my cats are out hunting as normal............its only 2 Nov!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 19:58:14 PM »
Have you tried valerian drops? My George is usually so distressed by the fireworks he's practically crawling around on his tummy. I started the drops about a week ago and ok, he's not comfortable with the noise at the moment, but he's a lot better than he was. http://www.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VAL

I just knocked on my nextdoor neighbours as She was saying earlier that they had got something to calm their dog down, She gave me the bottle and it was Valerian drops. I have put a couple of drops in Lilly and Tramps mouths. (dont know if that will work ?)  She also had a spray by rescue remedy that you spray in their mouths but i didnt bother with that one.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 19:45:55 PM »
Oh no, I so empathise - I have a similar discussion going on "Blip scared by fireworks for first time" (or something like that)  :hug:

Hope your little ones are OK.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 19:45:22 PM »
I use the tv up loud technique also  :)

Have to admit my dog is the wreck here, Im actually quite proud of the cats as they notice them but arnt too bothered  ;) My dog wont even go out for walkies and I have to stand in the garden with him so he will have a wee  :Crazy: :(

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 19:42:46 PM »
Have you got the TV on loud for them?

Its horrible for them  :'(

There seems to be a break in the fireworks so quickly writing a reply.

Yes TV on and lights...
Tramp is now laying in the litter tray and Lilly under table in Lounge
Hubby is with Lilly and I have been sitting on kitchen floor with Tramp

here we go again  :censored: gotta go  :censored:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 19:41:17 PM »
Have you tried valerian drops? My George is usually so distressed by the fireworks he's practically crawling around on his tummy. I started the drops about a week ago and ok, he's not comfortable with the noise at the moment, but he's a lot better than he was. http://www.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VAL

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 19:40:29 PM »
Aye, Loud TV or Music sorted mine out over the years  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 19:37:52 PM »
Have you got the TV on loud for them?

Its horrible for them  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Calming down my cats
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 19:25:35 PM »
I cant do this every year, its breaking my heart to see my cats in such disstress

Lilly and Tramp are going nutts.....Neighbours 2 doors down are having fireworks.

Is there anything, apart from sedation tablets, i can get them for next year ?

Its only the 2 that are bothered by them, but they are really in a terrible state.......

Link to CatChat