Author Topic: Wrong way to feed a kitten?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Wrong way to feed a kitten?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 14:50:05 PM »
The kitten does seem to be rejecting the bottle. He keeps turning his head to the side and trying to push it away.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
Definitely looks like a set up as T says, and actually there is no milk in the bottle!!  But definitely the WRONG positioning for a kitten to really be bottle fed. :doh:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »
The other noticeable thing kitten is chewing that teat so obviously not a true bottlefed who will drain the bottle as they get older,my opinion a total set up for a silly bit of film.

My 4 chewed the bottle T, they had Isseys milk until about 2wks old but then i had to bottle feed as she got Mastitus so bad she couldnt feed them

A kitten who has had the luxury of a mothers teat will chew at first but once the kitten becomes used to the artifical teat and the feeder a good sucking takes place. Basically the kitten in the film did not need a bottle,this bottle has been newly introduced to him.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
The other noticeable thing kitten is chewing that teat so obviously not a true bottlefed who will drain the bottle as they get older,my opinion a total set up for a silly bit of film.

My 4 chewed the bottle T, they had Isseys milk until about 2wks old but then i had to bottle feed as she got Mastitus so bad she couldnt feed them

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »
Not only is that kitten old enough to lap but to bottle feed in that position is very dangerous. Kitten should be in upright position with all four paws on firmly on your knee whatever. The other noticeable thing kitten is chewing that teat so obviously not a true bottlefed who will drain the bottle as they get older,my opinion a total set up for a silly bit of film.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »
Not judging, I'm just asking  ;D

It makes sense that a kitten should lean forward so any overflow can just come out of its mouth (I think)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
I'm no kitten person, Mark, so I bow to your better judgement. Just thought I'd point out that kit isn't lying on his back.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
I still think its the wrong angle. They should be slightly leaning forward as if they were feeding from mum. If someone if sitting straight in a chair, that may be OK but not ideal but she looks like she is slouching to me  :evillaugh:

We need Lesley, Ela, Teresa (and any other kitten people) to referee  :boxer:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:26:47 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »
OH MY GOODNESS - HOW CUTE !!!

Positioning doesnt look too bad to me, could do with being alittle bit more sitting up.

That took me back to when i bottle feed Isseys babies and i had to feed 4 !! I got through so many teats as they chew on them as they are sucking. But i would do it all again  :Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »
If you look at the background, the kitten isn't on its back, but sitting on her 'mum's' lap and leaning against her mum's front, so is in an upright posture. The way the camera is being held give the illusion that the kitten is on its back.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 08:12:48 AM »
Yeah, but joe public might not weed out the rubbish, and might go with the first thing they see, and that is the danger.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:46 AM »
There is a lot of good stuff on youtube - its just a case of weeding out the rubbish. There is an excellent "how to" series on there with anything from animal care to changing a fuse. Anything that can educate can't be bad. There is an option to "Flag" anything inappropriate. Where their mods will either remove it or censor it as "adult only"

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
I have never seen Yahoo answers - and to be honest, wouldn't see YouTube either if people didn't keep posting things.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:01:59 AM »
For the same reasom that "Yahoo answers" is a bad thing. Any idiot can post an answer and 9/10 in stupid or bad advice. The is far too much misinformation on the net.  >:(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:55:51 AM »
Good god, no that isn't the right way to feed a kitten - am sure you are supposed to have them on their belly. i do think You Tube can be a bad thing, people might see that and think it is right.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 23:40:00 PM »
yeah Mark, I did forget the reason for the post... somehow along the way :Luv: :Luv:

hmmmm, I didn't know that you arent supposed to feed kitten's that way!!

I Know Now  ;)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 23:34:06 PM »
There's some good stuff on there. I was reading through the comments - most are stupid but 2 others said it's the wrong way to feed. I need to know these things in case there is an emergency and I need to feed one  :Luv: (thats my excuse  :evillaugh: )

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 23:32:57 PM »
OMG :Luv: How cute is that  :Luv: :Luv: and listen to the ickle Mew's, aaawwwwwwww  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 23:28:08 PM »
Not more youtube lol

Thats cute

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Wrong way to feed a kitten?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 23:25:24 PM »
I thought you were supposed to feed a kitten upright to avoid choking on milk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD8yLILzU2w

Link to CatChat