Author Topic: could anybody here could give me some practical thoughts on my cat problem  (Read 2000 times)

Offline jojo55

• Kitten
Re: could anybody here could give me some practical thoughts on my cat problem
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 16:15:55 PM »
HI Hun

Have you tried this rescue? Not sure if it's near you? http://www.catwelfaresociety.co.uk/  They may be able to help with the two boys?

Is it possible for you to stay based there with Jojo until her rabies cover is complete? I wonder if the above rescue would also know of a good place she can stay while you come over to uk on short breaks to sort the move out?

How is she and you doing?

Are the two boys there most of the time?

Thanks for this. The cat's couldn't be taken into Gibraltar (I have already read on the Gib Customs website that that is prohibited although I have seen unaccompanied animals crossing the frontier all by themselves and nobody taking any notice) but maybe these people can help in some way; I will get in touch with them. At least they will speak English.

To change the subject slightly, I was shocked to read about the killing of rock apes. I have seen these animals. They are very humanlike. I have seen them walking around as family units, father, mother and the children following ... I am shocked that the Gibraltar government could be culling them.

Yes, the two boys are here almost all of the time and I am getting attached to them, especially the smaller of the two who has really fallen in love with me and looks at me with his big eyes .. he knows that I stand up to his brother for him when his brother bullys him. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 16:20:21 PM by jojo55 »

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »
HI Hun

Have you tried this rescue? Not sure if it's near you? http://www.catwelfaresociety.co.uk/  They may be able to help with the two boys?

Is it possible for you to stay based there with Jojo until her rabies cover is complete? I wonder if the above rescue would also know of a good place she can stay while you come over to uk on short breaks to sort the move out?

How is she and you doing?

Are the two boys there most of the time?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 23:01:58 PM »
is there no possibility of renting it out at a low rent in return for the tenant looking after the cat(s)?

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jojo55

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 22:34:22 PM »
Thank you all for your very kind replies.

Tan ... yes, as far as I can determine they are entire toms. Although their colouring is different, they are physically very similar ... unusually long bodies and square jaws, similar pattern of face and tail stripes ... I suspect they are brothers. I have also caught these two male cats engaged in, to put it politely, very 'inappropriate' behaviour with each other. One is larger than the other and appears to bully (and do other unmentionable things) to his brother.

Sheli ... you are right about people leaving their pets behind to fend for themselves when they move on. The problem is quite likely the difficulties faced in bringing a cat to the UK. If I needed to take my cat to, for example, Germany it would just be a matter of getting into the car and driving her there. No controls, nothing. I assume our rabies control laws exist for a valid reason, but I am sure that they are the cause of many of these problems. And my personal feeling is that, with the recession and the devaluation of the pound against the euro and the employment situation is Spain, problems of this sort are only going to get worse.

Sonnie .. I am more or less treating these cats as my own now, except that I put them out when I go to bed and don't let them use my own cats dirt box. But at the same time I know that I am only making a bigger problem for myself in the end as I am becoming attached to them .... and I really can't take 3 cats with me to the UK!

Without going into too many details of my personal life, which would not really be appropriate here, I have been living alone in this house which my family bought a few years ago as a second (holiday) home with my parents retirement in mind. I am in the south of Spain, near Algecerias, within the Gibraltar catchment area. Until about 3 years ago, these houses were popular as company lets for expat workers in the online gambling and financial services sector who were working in Gibraltar but these days such tenants are almost non-existant and as a result I have been staying here so as not to leave the house empty and renting out my own appartment in the UK. (PS I am not rich; I have 2 mortgages to pay!).

Now, for various reasons, mostly financial but also employment and family health related, this situation cannot continue. Selling this house at the moment would be very foolish; I would never get a decent price but I can reduce expenses a lot by closing this place up and returning to the UK. I need to return to the UK quite often as all my friends and family are there and I do have a life and commitments beyond the four walls of this house. Problems like that I can cope with though; the problem that I can't cope with because I get so emotional about it is the problem of my beloved cat, who has really been my only companion here for the last couple of years. 

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 15:41:09 PM »
Hi Hun

Glad you have come here and we will try and help all we can.

Where abouts in spain are you?   I have contacts with a rescue out there near La Marina nr Alicante through my local Post office area manager (his wife is in spain and runs the rescue there)  My Father in Law also lives in that area.

Is it possible to stay based in Spain while the pet passport is being done and to have Jojo looked after at a rescue for the breaks you need to come over to UK over that period to sort your move out?  So that Jo Jo is looked after while you are in UK for those short periods until you finally move with her to the UK.  I think with your situation with the neighbours and the 2 cats, you couldn't leave her at you home while away.

It is very difficult for animal lovers not to help other stray cats out esp in Spain etc where animal welfare is not on the "hot" list.  But what is keeping the two coming to you is that you are feeding them and giving shelter so as long as you continue, they will continue coming and upsetting Jojo.  Are they entire toms?  I would have thought that it's unsual that two entire toms are together as most will fight to secure the food source against each other.  Solution would be that we find a way that these two are looked after ie via a rescue so you can be happy they are safe now and when you move away and that Jojo is ok in her own home. 

Sending over  :hug: :hug: for you and Jojo as it must be awful for you and that you feel alone. We are here you can talk things through with and will try to help find a solution.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 13:48:23 PM »
Afraid I have no idea how things work out in Spain .......do they have catteries  where cats can go when someone goes on holiday?

Maybe its worth talking to a vets and see if they know where your cat can stay while you are away and while you await the time period it takes to get a pet passport.

you dont say why you HAVE to be coming back to the UK for a couple of months at a time but is this really necessary over the time it needs to secure a pet passport?

I think the first thing you must do if you want to keep JoJo is to start, you may have done already, the pet passport thing because every weekyou delay makes more time to wait.

Second , if you reall must come back to the UK then you need to find a caring place for your cat to be looked after while you are away because going away for weeks at a time and just leaving your cat outside with biscuits is not right.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but am just trying to look at your problem from a prastical angle for Jo Jo

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 13:33:54 PM »
Sorry to hear you have been having so many probelms with your neighbours, it wouldn't surprise me to me to hear they knew it was your cat and waited until they knew you were gone to start making trouble  :censored:

I'm not sure which part of Spain you are in but it may be worth looking for a local rescue as there may be one locally run by someone British. I used to work as a rep in Lanzarote and Tenerife and I know there was schemes to try and neuter a lot of strays to try and control the local cat problem(the pair of toms might settle after the 'snip'). Sadly a lot of cats seem to get taken in by reps and fed and coddled then left behind to fend for themselves when they move on so I was glad to hear you plan to take your little one with you.

The only thing I can thing of is to see if a local charity would look after her while you wait for her paperwork to come through or find a friend who would be whiling to take her while you moved back.

Wish I could suggest more, hope it all works out for you.

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »
Thanks for your answer Sonnie.

Yes, I know I shouldn't have hit them but I was very frustrated. It was only a smack on the back, nothing violent and they are big strong cats. But I will remember your words if I get frustrated again. Thanks for reminding me.

As for the neighbours, they have butted out. Their lies were all about my poor baby; they are very quiet since the other 2 cats have turned up which is why I think they have something to do with it somehow.

glad to help hun,  ;)
I have three babies, and the middle one (Felix) and youngest (Louie) are going through a hate each other stage!  I find that feeding them while they sit side by side helped alot, they are ok when cuddled up together sleeping or eating together, its the walking past each other we are having problems with!!  My advice to you would be to treat them all the same, if the other 2 big cats see that you are treating them equally then maybe they will except your cat into their "gang."    I know it sounds mad!!! 
Felix will watch me while i stroke or fuss over Louie, then when Louie isnt on my lap Felix seems to accept him more.  I tried a couple of days of no fuss, no cuddles and they seemed to get worse! 
Be patient, once the bigger two have realised that your cat is here to stay, acceptance will be on the cards. 
 :hug:

Offline jojo55

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »
Thanks for your answer Sonnie.

Yes, I know I shouldn't have hit them but I was very frustrated. It was only a smack on the back, nothing violent and they are big strong cats. But I will remember your words if I get frustrated again. Thanks for reminding me.

As for the neighbours, they have butted out. Their lies were all about my poor baby; they are very quiet since the other 2 cats have turned up which is why I think they have something to do with it somehow.

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:48 AM »
 :Crazy:  AWWW hun seems like you have had a lot to deal with.   :(

I sympathise with you, and your frustration concerning these 2 big cats that have litterally taken over.  And i know that all of us can get a little stressed out sometimes, when we feel like things are getting on top of us.  Raising your voice, i can understand to an extent, but hitting?   :scared: sorry to be blunt, and i mean no dis-respect, but this just goes to show that things really are too much to handle at the moment.  no one will condone you for this Jojo, by the sounds of things your very upset and I am glad that you have come to purrs for some advice and to off load.   :shy:
Im unsure on how other countries work regarding animal welfare, and if there is such a thing as Cat Protection. (as the R***A are a bit pants!)
I know that there are members on here with more experience and probably more logical advice for what you are going through.
But my advice to you is that you have done the right thing coming to purrs, and asking for help and advice.. after all a problem shared is a problem solved.   
Maybe (just a thought) of there was a member on here that lived in Spain, that could help you... this would be great.
Im not that clued up on the rules and regulations of pet passports and stuff, but i am sure that there is a solution out there somewhere.
Jojo, take a deep breathe have a nice cuppa, and dont worry.  :innocent:
As for the emails from your nieghbours - on one hand it was good that you found out how they all felt, but they need to realise that it was NOT you that bought/dumped or originally wanted these furbabies, and that in actual fact you are not only helping these poor babies, because of your obvious love for animals, but if you are feeding them then they will not bugg other people.  These neighbours need to either help out or butt out.
I know that life sometimes is rough, and things pile on top of all of us.  Without the closeness of a family member or a good friend to burn the ears off, the slightest thing can seem mahoosive! Take the little things with a pinch of salt, close your eyes and count to ten  ;)
We are all here when you need us,

I will catch up on your progress later hun,
Take Care
Sonnie x  :Luv:

Offline jojo55

• Kitten
could anybody here could give me some practical thoughts on my cat problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
I am wondering if anybody here could give me some practical thoughts on my cat problem. I think I am in over my head and starting to drown!
I am from the UK but am currently living in Spain. I live in a house with garden and not built-on land directly behind my house. It is a very suitable environment to keep a cat and allow the cat to go outdoors.
I have one cat of my own who is a very quiet and loving spayed female all black shorthaired cat about 3 years old. I adopted this cat following her abandonment and I care for this cat very much.
I acquired my cat in October 2006 when one day she simply walked into my living room and made herself at home, She was a sweet little thing, not exactly a kitten but not yet a grown adult cat. At first, I didn't encourage her at all especially as I knew I would be returning to the UK for about 2 months very shortly after. But she didn't go away. If I put her out, she was still waiting when the door was next opened. In the end I decided the best I could do was to feed her for a few days, fatten her up a bit and help her on her way.
I returned to the UK and stayed in the UK for over 2 months. I returned to Spain. The cat was sitting outside the door waiting for me and was in the house before I was. She was as thin as a rake. Anyway, after that, I decided to keep her when enquires revealed that she had (apparently) been abandoned by a neighbour who had moved away and left her behind. So she became my cat and has turned out to be one of the most intelligent and best behaved cats that I have ever known. She simply has never been naughty, has never knocked anything over when she jumps up on anything and is perfectly house/litter box trained.
She would usually spend her day in the garden or sitting on the wall or stay indoors according to weather.
I have needed to go away to the UK a few times since then. I would always leave her outside (she has a warm place to keep herself on a covered terrace) and the next door neighbours, who were also fond of her, would feed her. She never came to any harm and never appeared to mind being left outside or exhibit any unusual behaviour. When I came back she never gave any indication that she was in any way displeased with me. I think she understood that it happens from time to time.
Last summer (August 2008) my next door neighbours who used to feed her when I was away moved out of their house and shortly after I needed to go to the UK for a short time. The weather was very hot and my cat was spending most of her time outdoors as she gets too hot indoors during the very hot weather in the summer. I decided to leave a good supply of dried food (she has access to water) and leave her for 3 weeks. It was mid-summer and I was in no way concerned about leaving her simply because she was staying out almost all the time anyway because of the heat.
Less than a week later, a neighbour a few doors away sent an e-mail to all the residents of the community of houses where I live.
(quote)
This morning at 7.00am a black cat with a red collar was in my garden asleep on my beach armchair.  As soon as he heard me opening my front door he jumped and pieced my pool. If I ever see that black cat or any other cat in my garden or around my house I will make sure that it will not be in XXX again I will call the guardia to get me the rspca and put the cat to sleep.
(unquote)
Next came an e-mail from my next door neighbour on the other side, a friend of the woman who had sent the e-mail
This e-mail said (quote):
'This cat has been a nuisance to us for a while now, but did not know whom to approach. I have no problem with cats as long as they don't come in to my house. In many occasions, i have found this cat asleep on my bed, accidentally we have locked it in our garage, to come back to find a mess all over the floor, am forced to cover my settees at the terrace, because i find paw marks and cat hair all over the cushions.  I do not understand why this cat is always outdoors.'
(unquote)
This was followed up a day later with:
(quote)
'Enough is enough.... cats can be sweet and harmless and just want to live in peace, but, i have just had a bloody fright. i was just getting ready to go to bed when this black cat with a red collar jumped out from inside my wardrobe (not the first time) and scared the sh** out of me It is always the same cat... This poor cat seem to have no owner,no home... its always outdoor, summer,come winter....all year round. If there is an owner, can you please take the responsibilities of taking care of this abandoned cat and maybe it wouldn't be a nuisance to anyone anymore.'
(unquote)
Honestly, these 3 e-mails were sent publicly to all the residents of the community of houses like round-robin e-mails with others joining in adding stupid remarks and witticisms when I didn't find any of it even the remotest bit funny.
I replied, making it clear I would take action against anybody who harmed my cat and basically called the second neighbour a malicious liar.
I assume the motivation here is due to my having voted differently to these people at a recent owners meeting (there are some neighbours in this community who have formed their own gossipy little clique and don't like it if you don't agree with them and don't like you if you don't conform to their views  ....) and not that my cat actually did any of the alleged things ...  in her wardrobe? in August?? As I said, she gets so hot indoors in the heat of a Spanish summer it's difficult enough to get her to come in for food ....
Anyway, this caused me to cut short my trip away and come back here pretty quickly. For the past few months I have been very concerned about my cat's welfare and actually start to worry whenever she goes out. I have twice heard the neighbours children talking from their garden, the first time saying to their Mother 'there's that cat. Shall I string it up by it's neck and hang it' and on the other occasion saying that they 'don't like that cat'.
Shortly before Christmas, two large tom cats suddenly appeared in my garden. Where they came from I have no idea. I have never seen them around before. It is as if they were suddenly transported from another universe where they live in this house. They were after my cat's food. I did everything I reasonably could to discourage them. If they got in the house, I chased them and fought with them to get them out. I threw water on them. I'm sorry to say that I even hit them. Their determination is beyond belief. They are not attracted to my own cat; they want food and to move into this house. They are very affectionate towards me and both make it very clear to me that they want to be MY cat! If I don't let them in they sit outside and one of them has an especially loud voice. The neighbours must be able to hear the noise but, guess what .... not one single word of complaint. Also, if I don't let them in, they disturb my own cat who then insists on having the door opened to see what all the noise is about and then they get in. Or if my own cat wants to go out, they get in. They are through the metal security gate like a pair of eels! Also if my own cat is out, she will not push past them to get in herself. They have found all the house entrances, even the garage!.Believe me, these cats will NOT go away!
I understand that these cats cannot have been ordered to behave like this by somebody but I am sure that this has been set up. For example the possibility that someone could have been bringing them here and feeding them in my garden while I am prior to abandoning them has occurred to me as it is known that I took in my cat when she was abandoned.
There was also an odd incident with a new neighbour who moved in about the same time as the other two cats appeared and is yet another friend of the first lady. When I met him for the first time I mentioned to him that the two cats who were making all the noise were not mine. He said that he hadn't heard any noise and anyway he had a dog. He then told me that he had seen my cat and fed her. Surprised, I thanked him. But later I started to wonder just how he could have fed her? When? Where ... in his house with the dog? Why ...? he doesn't seem the sort to see a cat in the street and invite her in for dinner with his dog and my cat hates dogs. Besides, it is winter now and my cat has hardly been going out at all.
My cat has now become virtually a prisoner in the house. These other 2 cats have displaced her completely from the garden. She appears generally indifferent to them, although she defers to them. Yes, I have been feeding the other 2 cats because it is that or fight a war with them. They are LARGE and quite good looking short-hair tom cats. They are not cats who have grown up on the street. They have huge appetites and I am spending a fortune on cat food.
I do it because I couldn't accept 2 starving cats sitting outside my door 24/7, and once started .....
I let them in because I couldn't accept 2 cold wet cats sitting crying loudly outside my door on a cold thundery night, and once started ...
I have a cat and her life is being totally disrupted by them. Her behaviour has changed. She hardly ever goes out any more. She has completely lost her freedom to go and come from the house as she wishes as her cat-door has had to be closed, but she hardly ever wants to go out anymore anyway and hasn't been for a sit in the garden or on the wall for weeks. She often used to sleep in my bedroom but never actually came and slept all night under the bedclothes as she has started doing recently; I am interpreting this as a sign of insecurity?
Plus, I simply don't want any more cats. I don't want to become attached to them and cannot accept responsibility for them. And I don't know what to do about them because I think I am being set up for something whatever I do. Specifically, if I have these cats taken away or given to an animal shelter, an owner will suddenly appear to accuse me of disposing of them.
Independently of these problems, I am not happy here (but existing and surviving) and now need to return permanently to the UK in the near future as my circumstances here have changed but, for various reasons, have been putting it off. As much as I love and care for my cat, I do need to earn a living and can't put my life on hold indefinitely.
I had always intended to take my own cat with me if I returned to live in the UK. I had heard of the Pet Passport scheme for travel within the EU and had simply assumed that it would be just a matter of microchip, pet passport and vaccinations. Then when I tried to get a quote to take her to the UK, which was quite reasonable and less than I was afraid it might have been, I was told that the whole procedure of the rabies vaccination, the blood test and the waiting period will take at the very least seven months from start to finish assuming that the first rabies vaccination creates sufficient antibodies to pass the blood test and she doesn't need a second vaccination and blood test..
If I had known (yes, I know, I should have asked and found out all the information before this) I would have started the procedures last summer because almost immediately after those e-mails were sent it was decided that the best thing would be for my cat to be taken to live with a member of my family in England because I didn't feel that she was safe here any more, but a lot of things were delayed and put off due to a family illness in the UK and now that that's over and done with (the family member is fine now) and I can't delay any more, I have just discovered that my cat has to stay here at the very least another 7 months.
My problem is now three-fold.
I have not been away since the e-mails last summer but have now reached the point where I simply have to be able to start to travel regularly to the UK again as I have many things to do and arrangements to make as I am going to need to relocate back home permanently whatever happens.
The pressing problem is that if I were now to leave my cat even for a short trip, any food left would be scoffed down by the other 2 cats immediately and I am sure my cat would not stay on the covered terrace or in the garden with them, which means that she would probably be chased off into the neighbours gardens then the e-mails would start again or worse and I would end up hurrying back here again like in the summer. I also believe that she would come to harm if left alone outside here even for a couple of weeks if the neighbours (or their children!) saw her alone here. 
There is absolutely nobody here who can look after her for me. The friendly neighbour who used to feed her is gone, others are unfriendly or unknown/never seen types.
The second problem is what to do with her after that because I can't keep coming and going for the next 7 months or so. I need one or maybe two short trips home then close this house up and base myself in the UK at this time.
Abandoning her is, of course, totally out of the question.
6 months quarantine in the UK would cost 1000's of pounds; similarly so would leaving here here alone in a cattery for the next 7 or 8 months (or even longer if the paperwork was held up or if she needed re-vaccination). And how would she react to months and months in a cattery? Would she even remember me because if I was in the UK I could not visit regularly. Like most people these days, I don't have a lot of extra money at the moment especially with the devaluation of the pound against the euro. The prices here in Spain when converted back to pounds are astronomical and unbelievable. I would also be at the mercy of the cattery if, for example, her stay was prolonged because she failed the first blood test or something.
The thought of taking her to an animal shelter or handing her in somewhere as a stray, making my cat who I love and care for very much an unwanted animal, makes me want to cry.
This is all having a very detrimental effect on me because I am starting to feel depressed and imprisoned in this house and don't know what to do for the best and can't think straight, which is why I am sitting here writing this. It is getting on top of me and I can't think straight as I don't appear able to do anything without making some terrible impossible decision about my cat first.
The third problem is what to do about these other two cats? I feel sorry for them if they are being used as unwitting pawns in something because they are fine cats .... I have been feeding them for 2 months now ... do I have any moral responsibility to them and what should I do about them?
I would also like to caution any other readers from the UK who live outside the UK to think very carefully before becoming attached to an animal abroad, even in another EU country. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:56:11 AM by jojo55 »

Link to CatChat