Cat Health & Behaviour > For FIV & FELV babes

What are chances of RSPCA Kitten having FIV or FELV?

(1/6) > >>

carolynl:
Yes she has, and I agree, I'm not going to keep her in.

Gill (sneakiefeline):
I think if Izzi is used to going out then she should be able to.

Have you got a cat flap so she can get in and out herself?

carolynl:
Hi Gill

Izzi is 5 years old and Jasmine is only 9 weeks old. So a very big age difference.

Jasmine is more settled now and I have left her alone for an hour this morning. She is now sleeping. So i think she will be OK left alone at certain times of the day ie when she is tired. We care going to take turns sleeping in her room at night so she isn't on her own then.

I have the next 2 weeks off work to settle her in then I am back 3 full days a week. My friend, who lives next door, is going to come in and play with her at lunch time for an hour or so on the days I am at work. So she should be OK.

I think I am going to go the slow route and do scents first then short meetings. until they are used to each other. Then gradually build up the time together. That is what I did when I introduced Izzi into Jijo's territory. Although Jijo did sulk for about 2 months. Wouldn't come near me, would only come in for food etc.

The RSPCA centre gave me a leaflet that says I should keep Izzi in until Jasmine can go out. But Jasmine can't go out for another 4 months so I don't really think that is practical. I am just worried that when introductions start that Izzi will run away. That would break my heart.

What do you think?

Gill (sneakiefeline):
How old is Izzi?

If she is about the same age as Jasmine I would try very putting Jasmine in her carrier and letting Izzi in and see how they both react. If they both seem Ok  you could try opeing the carrier but nake sure thay have some where to go and hide, like a card board box.

If they hiss or growl or appear threatening to each other the slowere method will need to be used and one will have to stay in her own room and then gradually scents will need to be exchanged but this will be very difficult if Jasmione doesnt want to be left alone

carolynl:
The new furbabe is here and we have named her Jasmine. She is walking all over the computer right now  :Luv: She is settling in really well, but does NOT like to be left on her own AT ALL.

How long should I leave it before trying out an introduction with Izzi and what is the best way to do it? I am so worried about upsetting my beautiful Izwiz.  :scared:

The RSPCA cattery people and the home checker both gave advice at opposite ends of the spectrum  :-:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version