Author Topic: Think pippin may still need some milk or something  (Read 2014 times)

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
Re: Think pippin may still need some milk or something
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 22:36:13 PM »
She isnt suckling on us so much now it doesnt bother us (think its quite cute) but she was getting frustrated whilst doing it and would bite,
She wasnt sick yesterday and hasnt been today eithier so seems as though so far she can cope with supermeat, I don't dare try adult biscuits as she doesnt seem to like to chew and just swollows things whole  :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 21:48:41 PM »
Fingers crossed you can find something she will tolerate. You would be surprised at kittens managing adult biscuits, my fosters were forever pinching their mums wet and dry food!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Suzanavich

• Kitten
  • Chicken
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 21:35:44 PM »
My kittens' mother died when they were 8 weeks old, and they did the looking for milk thing for a good few weeks after she died. They mostly did it with each other, but sometimes with me, and even now the odd time Meeko - who sleeps on my pillow - will try and suckle through my hair. They did seem to grow out of it though without me giving them any replacement milk.

My kitten Chicken does that same thing- In fact if I am sitting anywhere she will run up, sit on my shoulder & put her face in my hair- although she doesn't suckle it that often anymore. I'm not that experienced with kittens so I was thinking it was a comfort thing- hope my hair doesn't remind her of the smell of her mum!!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 13:17:16 PM »
I know thats why im now trying whiskas supermeat and see if she can tolerate it she had some last night and some this morning and some more just now and hasnt been sick at all so fingers crossed she can tolerate this, She doesnt eat much biscuit so hopefully her little tum can tolerate it i doubt she would manage adult biscuit anyway.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »
It may be, I just dont know if kitten dry is richer than adult, as kitten wet is.
it shouldn't do, but it is still important to find a cat food she can tolerate, as she can't have LActol forever.
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 23:58:08 PM »
I thought as its for sensitive tums it should be ok? We totally forgot to ask it didn't come into our minds (normally it would)
Can lactol upset her tum? She hasnt been sick today so it does seem like the lactol done the trick that end now just got to try and find her a food that doesnt give her the poos,
CP did warn us that she was a bit of a sicky kitten but were stil willing to rehome her as the vet said she was perfectly healthy and they had lots of kittens/cats on there waiting lists needing to go in, So we took them both on other than this they are the most amazing little kittens there not that naughty at all, play lots sleep lots and are both right fuss pots

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 23:42:35 PM »
IT is poor practice of them not to tell you what they have been eating, but am surprised you didn't ask. The lactol wont do her any harm, but I do think it should be done as a supplement to her normal food, and finding her a food that she can tolerate is important, or you will go through the same again. Fingers crossed, although if she cant tolerate kitten wet food, she might not be able to tolerate kitten dry.
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 19:16:38 PM »
If i was told they had been weaned on to dry food i would of stuck to and very gradually introduced wet food but i wasnt told at the time only when i gave them a call today, she said the lactol will not do her any harm because it will also help her gain a little weight
They are now going onto whiskas supermeat mixed with lactol and some pro plan kitten delicate which is for sensitive tums its dry food.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 19:10:48 PM »
Sounds like it has been a lot of food changes in a short space of time, which could contribute to the poorly tums. IT does sound like kitten food is too rich, and the fact that the rescue weaned them onto dry food only says a lot, we do recommend that you stay with what the rescue feed initially and then wean them onto something else gradually, and generally after 3 weeks you woudl still be etiher weaning over or only just onto the new food. The CP lady's advice sounds quite good
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 16:05:56 PM »
Ive tried felix kitten and adult (kitty ate the adult and they always stole it of her) whiskas kitten loaf and kitten highlife (was to rich and gave them very bad diahroea) the vet advised i keep them of kitten food as by the sounds of things its genuinly to rich, They have been on felix adult for about 10 days now and as i didnt want any upset tums ive been given them very little and often.
Ive just spoken to the lady from CP were they came from and she said they were only weanded onto a dry diet due to them being a little sicky, She advised me to get a supermeat and mix it in with lactol, Is this a good idea? She is so much smaller than her sister she doesnt look in pix but this is because she has alot more fur than her sister.

Oh yes by the way its terrys partner he told me to set my own name up to speak to someone about slimming pills and he has lost all chances of getting back on here  :evillaugh:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 13:13:28 PM »
My kittens' mother died when they were 8 weeks old, and they did the looking for milk thing for a good few weeks after she died. They mostly did it with each other, but sometimes with me, and even now the odd time Meeko - who sleeps on my pillow - will try and suckle through my hair. They did seem to grow out of it though without me giving them any replacement milk.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
As you have only had them 3 weeks, if you have tried loads of different foods, it isn't long enough to give any of them a chance, so I still think she needs the kitten or cat food as her main food, with the lactol only being a supplement for her. What have you tried, out of interest?
Please spay your cat

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 00:03:45 AM »
we have tried loads of different foods including adult food as it is not as rich as kitten food and the vet said it is ok for her, she needs the lactol otherwise she would stave because she sicks her food up every morning, and lactol is what the vet said she would need especialy as she is growing otherwise she would end up really ill or have stunted growth, id rather have to go through the trouble of weaning her again than have a sick kitten

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 21:29:35 PM »
If she often brings food up, I would actually be changing her food, rather than giving her LActol, as you are going to have to wean her again.
Please spay your cat

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 21:26:01 PM »
She eats food but more than ofdten brings it up, I had to go to the vets today to take kittys claim form so i asked whilst i was there she told me if i took her down she would have a quick look at her (for free  ;D) so i took her down and the vet said she is healthy (a little under weight) and as she wasnt weaned proberly she doesnt know when to stop eating and the food is a little rich for her so they gave me some lactol. She isnt allowed any food tonight just lactol milk dont think she will mind.

I made some up and put it in a bowl and she got in the bowl with it  :rofl: then when i got her out of the bowl she was that excited that she had her head down so low she got her ears all wet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:58:39 AM »
At that age, you can give cat milk, or if you go to Asda or Pets at home, they both do kitten milk in cartons. Remember it is a supplement and a food though. I wouldnt give milk just because she wants to suckle on things though, that is more of a comfort thing than wanting food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 00:15:43 AM »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 00:05:17 AM »
Tez  am sure if you ask your vet he can recomend whats suitable for her, i remember years a go i had to bottlefeed a kitten and it was  powder milk i used mixing it with water,cant remember the name ,but my vet recomended it. :hug:

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
Think pippin may still need some milk or something
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 22:58:26 PM »
As you all know i have two 14 week old kittens (cant believe ive had them 3 weeks already  :)) well anyway pippin is alot smaller then tiggy not just weight wise but also in size when i got them the lady at CP said pippin was the runt of the litter (there was only 3 kittens) Im unsure if they are 14 weeks or not they may be younger nobody knows as they were taking to CP when they were very small with both there mum + dad so even CP werent to sure on there age  >:(

Well pippin is always sorta pitter paterin on you (hope you know what i mean) and will try and suck on ANY bear skin of yours  :rofl:

So i was just wondering if i should get her some sort of milk or something? Ive never had the joy of kittens before my OH has but reckons it was too long ago to memeber  :rofl: so im not to sure what to do.

She will eat some meat but i only give her very little and often as if not she will bring it up as she doesnt know when to stop eating so just doesnt stop untill her bowl is completly empty.

I will stop rambling now lol

Any advice is much appreciated  :thanks:

PS: Im sorry if this is in the wrong section.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 23:00:33 PM by tez2384 »

Link to CatChat