Author Topic: Ollie  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Ollie
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 19:12:11 PM »
I also used Blue cross when Kocka went to the Bridge, only by email cos couldnt talk aqbout it at all.

Somebody here helped me so much when Napoleon left me in May, I wish I could do the same as her but she knew all the right things to say and without her I dont know how I would be now.

I find it helps to write things down when you are feeling bad, whatever comes into your head and I have all the emails I wrote and every thing that I put on paper for both.

I cant read them right now but  maybe in the future, I also have all of their things safe and sound also for the future.

As said below, grief is just the hardest thing to deal with but time is the healer, just sometimes it takes a long time, so dont rush  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 13:35:40 PM »
It just gets harder every day as I just miss her more. I have photo on her favourite window sill and I can barely look at it. I cant even talk about her without crying. I know it will get better but right everything seems so wrong. She always slept beside me and would jump on me as soon as I woke. She would sit on the kitchen table or calj me from the stairs waiting for me to sit so she could snuggle on my lap. I cant even comprehend what I have lost but life is a lonely place without her

I do truly understand how you feel right now grief is one of the hardest emotions to cope with I know many will probably say this but time truly is a great healer it's still very early for you and still so raw, talk to people this really does help when my dog Butch had to be pts last year I was devastated no one can understand untill they have lost I felt like I couldn't breath just thinking about him had me sobbing but I did find comfort in talking about my feelings to people who had also lost a pet and it did really help I used the Blue cross pet bereavment support line they were so good they understood exactly how I was feeling as they too had lost beloved pets maybe you should try giving them a call it might help.
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2083/pet-bereavement-support-service.html This is the link just incase you want to talk .

We are all here to support you please don't feel that you're alone  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thinking of you
Denise  :care:
     Xxx
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 17:49:37 PM by den22 »
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
So sorry you've had to let her go so soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
It just gets harder every day as I just miss her more. I have photo on her favourite window sill and I can barely look at it. I cant even talk about her without crying. I know it will get better but right everything seems so wrong. She always slept beside me and would jump on me as soon as I woke. She would sit on the kitchen table or calj me from the stairs waiting for me to sit so she could snuggle on my lap. I cant even comprehend what I have lost but life is a lonely place without her

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 23:59:04 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Beautiful Ollie

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 22:20:19 PM »
Such a beautiful girl  :hug:

RIP Ollie, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 20:21:22 PM »
sending lots of  :hug: :hug:x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 18:56:46 PM »
She is definately so very very gorgeous and my heart is with you  :hug: :hug:

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 18:38:19 PM »
Trying to attach a picture so you can all see my gorgeous girl xx

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 18:33:53 PM »
My darling Ollie passed peacefully in my arms at 2.30 yesterday afternoon. She didnt like the needle but it was very quick and I was holding her and kissing her. I spent some time with her after just giving her lots of kisses and cuddles to see her on her way. I know I made the right choice for her, it had got to the stage where she would only let me touch her. My husband had been sleeping on the sofa so that Ollie and I could have the bed and I will treasure that time with her. Thank you all for you support. It has been very hard and when I look at her picture my heart just breaks but I know my tears are for me because I miss her, she is at peace now.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 23:17:15 PM »
Thinking of you and your family Teresa  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 23:51:34 PM »
Such a terribly emotional time and so pleased she was able to wander around outside and feel the sun on her fur .

So much can be done by the vets it is possible to wait too long and like others I lost my Napoleon recently but I could not allow him to keep him being treated when his eyes were telling me he wanted to sleep now ...............its still so painful  :(

I am sure you are doing the right thing for Ollie but the grieving will be hard and we are here for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 21:33:08 PM »
sorry to hear about Ollie.     I had my beloved Candie put to sleep last year.     She was my late mother's persian cat and I felt she was my last link to her.     She had CRF and had stopped eating.      She seemed reasonably bright but we couldn't bear to see her fade away and getting thinner and thinner.      We had made an appointment for the Friday to have her PTS and cancelled it.     She had a glorious sunny weekend pottering in her garden and then went to sleep on the Monday morning.       I hear of some people with their cats with CRF who stop eating and then start again and I wonder whether it was too soon but I feel if I had done that it was for my benefit not hers as she would never recover.

Will be thinking of you both  :hug: :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 21:18:06 PM »
Sorry Teresa  :hug:  My Suzie brightened up on the morning I'd asked my vet to come out, so much so that I almost didnt go through with it. After talking it through with my vet though, I knew it was the right thing to do, because even though she was that much brighter, she was never going to recover from CRF, and would probably have gone downhill again very quickly.  :(  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 20:50:38 PM »
Very sorry to hear this Teresa  :hug: Sounds like you know in your heart that her time has come  :hug: I had to have my beloved childhood cat PTS, in was the hardest thing I have ever done and in hindsight I probably left it too long :shy:

I hope Ollie's passing is peaceful, you really are giving her the greatest gift  :hug:

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 20:45:09 PM »
I am so sorry to hear she is beginning to give up, but she, too, must be aware this is the end of the road.
She may liven up tonight and be her bright old self for a little while.
Three of my cats came to say googbye to me this way, they managed to pick themselves up enough to make it a proper, intense and emotional goodbye, and I never understood how they managed to do so, sick as they were......

With Tuppence, I wasn't even aware she was that far gone, I went to the vet to have her treated, but had to let her go, instead.

Like you say, we can help them live a bit longer, but is it really worth the stress of sticking needles into them or forcing pills down their throats?
It is so very hard to let go, but Ollie deserves to journey to the rainbow bridge with feline dignity.

Wish there was something I could do, but there is nothing, besides thinking of you, feeling for you, crying with you......

But I am sure Ollie knows how much you love her, how intensely you will miss her, and she will be ever so grateful to you for letting her go when the going is still good, or at least bearable.
Cats understand, Ollie will understand what you are doing for her, and what it will cost you to let go. And she loves you all the more for it.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 19:09:08 PM »
Depending on her reaction when blood tested etc in the past, you may wish to consider asking vet to sedate her first although chances are that will not be necessary.  I've just been unfortunate once in the past.  Very rare I think.

It's a terrible balancing act but we can only ever do our best.  Unfortunately administering fluids is not something I would relish doing myself altho some cats are lucky enough to have slaves that are prepared to do that at home.  As you have trust in your vet, you should trust him now.  I would also prefer risking cutting a life slightly short to the risk of discomfort.

I miss Fred terribly but know I did the right thing.

I'm truly sorry that you are in this situation but I'm with you all the way Teresa  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 19:02:37 PM »
so sorry to hear this  :hug:

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 18:49:13 PM »
Sorry I haven't been abck for a few days but things have been pretty emotional here. I took Ollie back to see my normal vet to get a second opinion. he examined her and said the kidneys are sp small that the end is very near and for that reason the fluids would no be a good idea for her. I do trust him he has been my vet for about 11 years now. He feels it is time to let her go while she still has a little dignity. She has had a mixture of days. Monday was bad she wouldnt eat and hadly drank, Tuesday she ate a whole plate of chicken and was drinking again, she also enjoyed some baby food. Today she has eaten a fair amount but has also been sick and for the first time in a few days asked to go out, I went with her and she went out and sat on the doorstep, then for a little walk around the front garden using her scratch post before asking to come back in. She rarely moves from our bed, her food and water is beside her, so she only really moves to use the litter tray beside the bed. She has even started to meow a little today and came into the kitchen just for a short while. The vet is booked to come tomorrow and in my heart I feel it is right. When she looks at me I can see it in her eyes, yes they are a bit clearer today but for how long? I am so happy I didnt just go ahead on Sunday that I brought her home for some time and she got to walk around her tree. I know some will feel maybe it is too soon and I find that hard too, but this disease will not allow her to go peacefully and I cant see her suffer. I have read some stories about cats with kidney disease where the families held on for too long and they had heart attack or seizures maybe even just wasted away I cant do that to her I love her far too much my precious little girl who has given me so much love. I am heartbroken I wish it didnt have to be this way I wish she could just pass naturally but it isnt going to happen. I am happy to hear your opinions especially from those that have been here too, thank you all for caring. We have chosen to have the vet come to our house so she is not too stressed and then to have an individual cremation. Then I will buy her a special pot and shrub so she can live on and bloom all through her favourite season, summer.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 18:46:42 PM »
What a lovely story  ;D  Ollie sounds adorable and must be so special to you.  I'm sorry she has been diagnosed with end stage crf but hopefully you will have longer with her than you think.  crf can be so unpreditable  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 16:44:53 PM »
Still thinking of you both and sending many  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:38 AM »
 :hug: :hug: to you and Ollie.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:43 AM »
Sending you and Ollie some  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 22:11:59 PM »
Thinking about you  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 22:07:23 PM »
Sending loads of these to you and Ollie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think the vet needs to say why exactly why he is advising this because as you say you need to make the hardest decision based on some reason if possible.

A few more days of quality life, or a week means a lot to most of us.

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 22:01:00 PM »
Well we went to the vet first thing and they have advised her to let her go. I decided not to make any quick decisions and so we brought her home so at least if this is it we could have some time and my daughters friends have even been round to say goodbye. I have cried more tears today then I thought possible and have spent most of my time lying on the bed with Ollie. She has eaten today, I cooked chicken and turkey and she even maybe a little cat food. I have been getting her to drink as much as possible and have been giving her water in a syringe every so often. It is so hard to know what is right, she loves going out and sitting under the tree but has made no attempt to go out today. She has just laid on our bed, she is obviously not very well at all but she still purrs when she sees me and wants to be fussed. I have three cats, two were strays, Ollie and Yoghurt, and although I love them all Ollie is just a once in a lifetime cat. She slept on me last night and seemed less restless. She is still sprawling out to sleep but I havent seen her groom today.
I think I am going to get my vet to take some bloods tomorrow before we decide for sure that fluids is not the right way. I just want to be sure i get it right.
Thank you all it helps to know you all care. I have read Tanya's page over and over since Ollie was diagnosed just to help me understand better and have found it very comforting. Thanks again xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 18:36:46 PM »
Hope you have a litlle longer with Ollie  :hug: My Suzie with CRF was on sub cut fluids which I did at home and it did help her, not for a terribly long time, but it certainly seemed she felt better on the fluids. She was also very patient while the fluids went in - I know it wouldnt suit every cat, but Suz was very placid and just used to sit on my grooming table waiting for me to get the needles ready and everything.  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 15:08:09 PM »
Such a touching story of how you found each other  :hug: I do hope you have longer together than you fear  :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Hiya,
Has Ollie been on fluids before? It can make an amazing difference for a kidney cat, although it's no cure, it almost always massively improves quality of life, and hopefully Ollie has no other major underlying problems? I put my old boy, Pumpkin, who must have been 20 yrs+ on fluids, and it really improved him and I had him for months after...
Have a chat with your vet,  then you can make an informed decision. As a vet nurse, I am a big fluids fan, and I saw almost daily at work how much fluids can help cats and dogs.
Don't lose hope! Cats are often the little crackers that can surprise us...
Whatever happens, you'll make the right decision, I'm sure.
Liz xx
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
Am still very raw at losing Fred to CRF on 24 July and my heart goes out to Ollie, you and your family.  I was in the "lucky" position of being told that Fred's final blood results meant he could not survive out of a hospital environment so at least I did not have a choice.  I would like to think I would not have put him through fluids as on balance it would not have been right for him.

In the 8 hours between taking him in to the emergency vets and finally letting him go I had the chance to read "The Final Hours" in Tanya's website.  She describes the final tell tale stages.  I recognised a number of them in Fred esp appetite even worse than normal, the Meatloaf Position, restlessness and not being able to get comfortable.  You may not be up to reading it but, if you are, this is the link. 

http://www.felinecrf.org/the_final_hours.htm

Am in bits for you  :'( :'( :'(  Can only send you my truly heartfelt sympathy Teresa  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Thank you for your kind thoughts. She has eaten a small amount this morning. I made her some mince in a weak gravy, things she shouldnt have but better that then she starves. Am going to phone the vet as soon as they open and take her in as I dont want to leave it and she really goes downhill. Problem is my husband was made redundant so money is not as available as it was so although I make sure she has her meds and she has her blood tests it is hard. I am going to discuss the fluids with them. I can probably find the money for this but if it is going to be a regular thing I am not sure. You just dont know what to do for the best. Ollie is a timid cat who is easily stressed and I dont want to put her through the stress of treatment that will only make her feel better for a short period of time but neither do I want to end her life too soon. I accept this is terminal so I guess there comes a time when I will have to ask myself who am I doing this for me or her :(

Offline Ambi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Oh bless her - dont lose heart just yet.  Last year we lost our eldest dog to liver diease.  In January our youngest princess had bloods taken, we knew she had kidney disease but were not prepared for the devastating news that she was a very ill dog.  This was just six months after losing our older girl.  Here we are some 8 months later + for most parts she is doing well.  We do get periods were she is very sick, toxins build up in the kidneys however her special diet does help as does the meds she gets

My advice is just take one day at a time, take lots of photos and of course lots of TLC

Hugs - our thoughts are with you xx

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »
What a lovely story, hope she gets better soon and gives you more years of happiness but whatever happens take strength from knowing you gave her the best years with lots of love and cuddles and remember a life loaned may not be long lived but a lifetime of memories live on forever in your heart.
Sending lots of get well vibes to your kitty and big :hug: :hug: to you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:28:11 AM by den22 »
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 23:59:50 PM »
She sounds so lovely and has come a long way with you and with the vets help she may have lots of time with you still  ;D ;D

I can understand how you feel but enjoy everyday with her and after that, is time to think where next  :hug: :hug:

Offline TeresaM

• Adult Cat
Ollie
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 23:41:17 PM »
ALmost 9 years ago I found the old cat chat forum and asked for help with a stray cat that was living in my front garden She was skin and bone and filthy dirty and although we could feed her she would hiss if we got too close. I followed the advice given and no one ever came forward to claim her. Gradually she started to trust us enough for me to get her to a vet and have all the ticks removed and have her scanned, no chip so we brought her back home. After 18 months she trusted us enough to move in with us and our other cat and dog. She became mummy's little girl, sitting on my lap for cuddles. About 6 months ago she was diagnosed with kidney disease and is now in the last stages. Over the last few days she has become very fussy about food so I have been cooking her lots of mince and chicken, I am just happy to see her eat.
I can never put into words just how amazing a cat she is, she has given me so much love. I love the way she sprawls out on me and pats my face and I am now wondering how to get by when she is no longer here.
I will be taking her to the vet in a couple of days to see where we go from here. I just wanted to share my story as feel this is where it all began xx

Link to CatChat