Author Topic: advice needed on getting kittens first vacs, chip etc.  (Read 1570 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: advice needed on getting kittens first vacs, chip etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 17:13:47 PM »
thanks for that- i saw a vacinate for life package for £99 pound which seemed good unless the vets closes lol, plus a few kitten packages that include the chip. georgia is 9 weeks now so ready to start with vacs. i think the vet put me off with our cockatiel as he handled him like a rabid dog rather than the softy he is but i guess he isnt an avian vet so being cautious. the vet who took in the lost kitten last friday however(same practise) was cuddling and kissing the poor lost kitty so its personality too i guess with vets.
i know we have a charity here that does cheap neutering for all cats so i may get that done there when time comes.
jo x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 15:54:07 PM »
I'd agree with Gill, that consultation plus meds seems pretty reasonable to me. You're not just paying for the medication, your paying to see the vet for diagnosis.

Vaccinations come first, you need two trips to the vet for this but generally you only pay once (IIRC), I think costs are much of a muchness, about £60 all in? But again, it's been a while since I did the full programme of vaccs.

Neutering is at 6 months, sometimes a little earlier depending on vet and weight of puss. Again, I think it's around the £60-70 but it's nearly 4 years since I had Chilli done so I could be wrong! Microchipping on top is £25 but worth every single penny, Chilli went missing a couple of years ago and if not for her chip I would never have seen her again.

Easiest thing for you to do is ring round a few local vets and just ask them, bearing in mind it's as much about quality of care as it is cost.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 15:30:05 PM »
How old is the kitten?

Packages tend to be chip and neuter and afraid I dont know which comes first vaccinations or neutering. We have quite a few mwmbers in and around Birmingham so maybe they could recommend places.

I think the cost for your bird was probably quite cheap if it was the first time it had been seen for that illness, my vets cost about £28 for first consultation plus any meds!

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
advice needed on getting kittens first vacs, chip etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
hi
as you may know i got a kitten that was going to be left at rspca. she is now in need of her vacinations etc, does anyone know the best place to get this done in birmingham? i was wondering if they do an all in kitten package where i can take her for neutering at a later date etc .
my nearest vet seems a bit pricy from when i took in my cockatiel, £25 to put a bit of mite lotion on which i could have done myself really for £4!
I would also like advice on the best pet insurance for her so any recomendations would be brilliant!
i am eliglble for the PDSA but would prefer not to use this as dont want to put a strain on resources , we have a local rspca- are they good to use?
i did want to adopt a kitten from them as they covered all the basics so i knew it would all be done and not worry about that aspect but really want to find somewhere if i can that will be able to deal with all the vacs etc but dont charge ridiculous prices if you get my reasoning when it is available a lot cheaper elsewhere.
jo x

Link to CatChat