Author Topic: Best dyson for cat hair  (Read 3247 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: Best dyson for cat hair
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 16:07:46 PM »
I ALWAYS want shoes and boots, but I have way too many so am trying to be good. Although I bought a new pair of riding boots last weekend. But I need those.

I am going to look this weekend (at boring vacuums not lovely boots).

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 15:34:46 PM »
if you want boots you'd better get the dyson!  miele isn't a cheap option :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 15:33:56 PM »
I'd rather buy a nice pair of boots

:evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 13:42:51 PM »
Right. I will have a look at the Miele now. I am not particularly fussed on a Dyson but have heard good reports. To be honest I'd rather buy a nice pair of boots but needs must.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
I love mine too  :Luv2:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
We got a Miele and it is so much better than any Dyson  :evillaugh: -

YAY!! I've been wanting to post about my beloved Miele but was waiting for someone else to suggest a non Dyson first  :evillaugh: We've got the Miele Cat and Dog one and I can 100% recommend it! It's ever such a solid hoover but doesn't weigh a ton.

I love my Miele  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »
I got mine in Debenhams but I'm sure most department stores sell them. You can also order online but I think you need to buy 3 or 4 packs to get free postage. I know I am a hoarder but even I don't keep 4 years worth of hoover bags in the cupboard  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:09:14 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:49:39 AM »
Sounds good, where do you purchase the bags for them?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
I changed the bag yesterday and it crossed my mind to weigh it on the kitchen scales to give an idea of how much it holds but I had put it it the bin so there is cat food etc stuck to it  :sick: - to give you an idea, with a full-up Dyson, the dust probably weighs a few ounces as it is like Candy Floss but where it gets compacted in the Miele, a full bag weighs about 2kg. I think some people are put off thinking you have to buy bags but in reality, a pack probably lasts the best part of a year and costs £7 which to me is well worth it for the convenience. I was forever wiping out the inside of the Dyson + having to wash the foam filters every now and then - just a lot of hassle. The Miele bags act as filters themselves so dust etc is filtered out of the air (5 layers). You also get a filter that goes in the vac with each pack of bags. You can get an optional HEPA filter if you prefer. I can't praise them enough. Even the tubing is nice solid chrome like vacs used to have. They are made and tested to last 20 years like all Miele products. They also do a couple of light compact models.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:09:33 AM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:51 AM »
We got a Miele and it is so much better than any Dyson  :evillaugh:

I was wondering how long you would be cringing for before you posted about your Miele!  :rofl:

Tell you the truth I do get fed up with the amount of times you have to empty the Dyson....will defo try the Miele next time!  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 21:05:53 PM »
We got a Miele and it is so much better than any Dyson  :evillaugh: - Although it takes bags, it compacts the dust so only needs emptying every 6 - 8 weeks (honestly!) - a cover even closes over the top of the bag so no mess to deal with and no grubby container to wipe out  :sick: - the small turbo brush is great for rugs and upholstery - Similar prices to Dyson but real solid German piece of kit. You can feel the difference in the quality of the tubing etc. The rollers are tested to run x1000 kilometres and there is a rubber bumper around the edges. I was always chipping paint with my Dyson (Had 3 Dysons before the Miele)

Worth a look at before deciding  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 21:11:30 PM by Mark »

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I don't want an upright one, want the drag around. I've got stair that go round and I nearly break my neck trying to do them with the upright. I think I will go for the DC 20 as I did read a few bad reviews of the DC 23 and the only difference is it's slightly bigger capacity I think.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:02:55 AM »
Even the cats love the animal.....DC 20 here too!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:18:40 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 22:31:13 PM »
I have a Dyson DC 20 animal and its fantastic.

I have 7 ragdolls and it picks up their fur with no problems. As its not an upright I can sit on the stairs when doing them which is fantastic for posture and my back. The mini turbine head sorts the cat trees.

Ragdolls leave a lot of fur and for a hoover to cope with that.....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 22:34:03 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 22:11:25 PM »
By cylinder type do you mean an upright one or a drag along one? I've got a DC14 (upright) which came with the pet hair turbo tool so is essentially the same as a Dyson Animal.  I do rate it but I recently bought a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser for upstairs that was on special offer at £50 delivered and it's amazing - easily as good as the Dyson.  I bought the Dyson about 2 years ago and it came with a 5 year guarantee so you couldn't really go wrong, not sure if they still do the 5 yr guarantee though.

Exactly the same as us Helen, the 5yr guarantee is good too as I find that the parts are quite flimsy but you can just order whatever you need.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 21:58:38 PM »
By cylinder type do you mean an upright one or a drag along one? I've got a DC14 (upright) which came with the pet hair turbo tool so is essentially the same as a Dyson Animal.  I do rate it but I recently bought a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser for upstairs that was on special offer at £50 delivered and it's amazing - easily as good as the Dyson.  I bought the Dyson about 2 years ago and it came with a 5 year guarantee so you couldn't really go wrong, not sure if they still do the 5 yr guarantee though.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 21:53:15 PM »
We were going to get Dyson Animal last time but ended up getting the same as before Dyson DC14 because we asked in the shop and this one had just the same attachments with it so we didn't bother.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 21:44:54 PM »
Any Dyson Animal range. Work wonders.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Best dyson for cat hair
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 21:36:16 PM »
I am looking to get a dyson and would like opinions on which is the best model for cat hair. I want the cylinder type and am looking at the Dyson 23 and DC 20. Anyone got suggestions? Or of another model.

Thanks
Anne

Link to CatChat