Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

cat spraying and anti-depressants

(1/5) > >>

Em:
 :hug:

Beatrix Potter:
Hi em

thank you so much for your lovely message.  I'd have preferred storm to be on a natural alternative but have used feliway and natural remedies in the past that have not worked.  I'll keep you all informed of his progress.

thanks again
suzanne

Em:
suzanne

At the end of the day, it sounds like you really love your cats and are trying to the the best for them. I'm in a similar boat - my cats pee (everywhere!) for many complex reasons and I'm tackling the reasons one at a time - it's gradually getting better now. I personally prefer to use a combination of Feliway and Bach rescue remedies to help them calm down, but that's my choice and it's partly because my cats are really cr@p at taking tablets and also I'd have to treat all 3, which I can't afford.

We've solved the problem of other cats coming in by getting a small dog who runs out through the cat flap and shouts a lot at trespassers- we wanted one anyway and the cats love having her around now. She even intervenes when the cats fight among themselves, which is really really cute!

I could never rehome my particular cats just because they pee, but that's partly because I'm confident that the psychology behnd it is solvable without going that far -  and I don't think anyone can make a judgement on the behaviour of other people's cats without meeting them and seeing them in the flesh. I personally prefer not to use drugs but I know it can help and that it doesn't have to be a long term thing, so I wish you all the best and hope Storm settles down soon. :hug:

Finally - Please don't stay away just because some people have different opinions to you. That's what forums are all about, it's good to have a debate about these things and it gives more inexperienced people a chance to see all sides of the argument. There will always be people who disagree but at least on Purrs they do it fairly politely and respectfully without the name-calling that I've seen elsewhere.

Beatrix Potter:
hi everyone

many thanks for all your replies.  I wasn't going to post again because so many of you are against what I have decided to do but thought I would as you have all been so kind to ask me! I returned to the vets and was told that although the drug (can't remember the name of it now) wasn't something specifically for cats my vet had used it before in cats with spraying problems and it had worked.  side effects were same sort of things we'd probably see if we took a headache pill, drowziness, dry mouth, diarreah.  I started him on them only 2 days ago and have noticed no change in his behaviour as yet, but I guess they will take a week or two to kick in.

i know he is not a very happy cat but I don't believe it is to do with his brother.  They do fight but mostly it is through play and only a few times when they are obviously having a real row!  They both have their own beds but will curl up together in the same one from time to time so I don't think they hate each other!  Storm is a troubled cat but never used to be.  I think something has scared him in the past outside, maybe another cat ( he got beat up once) or some noisy neighbours (one with a roaring engine that frightens him) have scared him.  the vet thinks his spraying is perhaps out of habit now and just in his routine.  he still has troubles with his litter tray but since keeping him in he has used it a couple of times but only a tiny amount, the rest he seems to save for the rest of the kitchen...

hope all this makes sense, getting tired now so probably just rambling!

Please don't think badly of me, if I really thought my cats were not happy together I truly would find a home for one of them I just hope this might work.  The vet said to keep him on them until he starts using his tray properly and stops the spraying. 

suzanne

Schmew:
hi all,

Have to go with the anti drug side I'm afraid. It just doesn't sit quite right with me. If a personality clash is causing the stress, then surely drugging them up can't be the answer? A five month kitten came to live with us and my two other cats. She was with us 18 months and tried everything, but in the end had to rehome her - it was an agonising decision as I'm very much an 'it's for life committment' type but I had to look at what was best for everyone. She was so stressed she had scabs where she was rubbing her head and scent marking, and my boy was spraying all over. the other female was subdued too. After seeing the vet with these problems and discussing them, she suggested putting them all on tranquilisers. I couldn't do it - I didn't feel it was the right answer. The little one went to a new home and is much happier, all scabs gone and much more relaxed - the change in atmosphere in my house too was unbelievable. It was really sad but the best thing for all of them - you have to do what's best for the cats - and I still keep in touch with the little ones new owners.

I hope you're doing ok anyway Suzynick - all the best, and hope you find the right answer for you and your puss cats

Su

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version