Author Topic: Microchip cat flaps. Has anyone used these as just bought one?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Microchip cat flaps. Has anyone used these as just bought one?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 13:41:52 PM »
We have the Sureflap but Blip hasn't used it yet - even in training mode, that is without any batteries - as we haven't installed her little ramp for the outside so I can't help you  :doh:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 13:16:36 PM »
How did ya peeps get on with this.

I desparatrely need something now as i have kittens coming in the garden flap.  :scared:

The couple who are renting next door have one Black beauty who is the mum. She is very small and spayed now :)  and she has a tabby boy and a tabby girl and a stunning bluish colour boy.

Well The mum has always come to say hello on the fences but always stays on the other side but now i have the little tabby girl (cheeky imp  :briggin:) coming in the garden but can't get back out (cat proofed) . Garf & Marl just stare at her and there isn't any aggression in fact she prob entertains them!!  :evillaugh:

But she is now quite happily started to come in the flap. I have taken her back to her house a few time today already as i will not allow her in the house as it's Garf & Marls core territory so is the garden but it's very hard to stop a cat getting in the garden. Cats that have got in don't do again as they can't get out  normally but this little monkey as i take her back she thinks it's ok to come into the garden.

Hmmm anyway i am going to need a micro cat flap so if little imp does come in the garden, that she cannot at any time get in the house.

how are you finding the micro flaps?

Which ones have ya brought?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 16:19:25 PM »
Just to say that our cat flap arrived from Pet Supermarket on Friday: less than 24 hours after I'd ordered it!  That's great service, if anyone is wondering whether to buy from PS or not.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 15:07:05 PM »
Well this got me thinking so I emailed sureflap yesterday - they say that the biotherm chips work perfectly well with their catflap, but that they only make them in white at the moment because the colour of the flap has something to do with how well it works.  As all the doors, windows and woodwork in our house is dark brown, I can't help but think that this will look out of place!  So for now, because I don't have a huge problem, I will wait a bit longer until either Petporte improve their technology to cover biotherm chips, or sureflap improve theirs so their flap works in brown! 

Confused?  Join the club  :rofl: 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 14:03:27 PM »
I've just ordered one from Pet Supermarket: the discount code still seems to work, Mark,  :thanks:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 13:31:31 PM »
Petporte are doing one with a backup battery now at least!

I would love one of these, but my cats have biotherm chips and the sensing range is hugely reduced...I'm half tempted to buy one anyway to see whether it does operate effectively enough with it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 13:18:09 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26147.0.html

Not sure if the discount code is still working but the discounted price is still valid at least. I lie the fact that this is battery whereas Petporte is mains only although I think they are planning to make one soon.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 13:17:02 PM »
Christine there are two available, not sure that PAH have them.

http://www.petporte.com/

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

My understanding is that petporte is mains powered and sureflap is battery...not sure of other differences, but I'm sure their websites will tell you  :wow:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
Where can I buy a microchip cat flap, can anyone recommend?   I'm nowhere near PAH, although I could make an expedition to the nearest one if that's my best bet.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
I'm at my parents house now and they have the petporte microchip cat flap :)

It's brilliant as Blue and Ted know they have a safe place where they can't be beaten up inside and feel happier.

It was expensive but worth every penny

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 23:03:40 PM »
Jack, that is the one I have got.
Its a standard size flap & wondered the same question myself as I have a large BSH Blue. But she is going to have to use it if it take a big push from me to get her through.

The flap I have fitted at the mo is for large cats so the new one will look small in comparison.

The flap can be fitted in metal doors but you have to do some modifications to the door as it will interfere with the chip. I have seen also that it can't be fitted in metal doors!!!!  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 22:27:03 PM »
Actually, I have a question regarding these - my sister asked if they can be fitted in doors with metal in them? At least I think that was the question!

Also, I'm looking at the Sureflap battery operated flap; does anyone have one and can they tell me if an average sized cat would fit through it?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
Microchip cat flaps. Has anyone used these as just bought one?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 19:51:10 PM »
Having had problems with stray cats visiting & spraying in my house I though it time to invest in a more secure cat flap that only opens when it recognises the ID chip in the cat.
This one is battery operated so it doesn't need to be near a plug point.

I have one of the basic flaps at the mo & got a 'handy chap' to come & fit it for me. He came for 2 mornings Thurs & Fri to check it over and get some material as he will have to cover door over original one as the hole is too big, which HE did by mistake previously!
He said he would come back on Monday to fit it.

Well... that was over a week ago now & he never turned up or rang me.

So annoyed!

Do I take it that he doesn't want the job or is it that I am a WOMAN who tradesman think they can mess about...If I were a MAN????

Mind you, if I were a MAN, I wouldn't need him as I would probably be able to fit it myself!!!

Have you got one & are you happy with it?

Link to CatChat