Author Topic: ant killer safe to use  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: ant killer safe to use
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 20:15:10 PM »
Lots to try here http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html even without cats its better to repel than kill, i would also be nice and leave some prime ant food further up the garden, an apple or something  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »
Definitely not regular ant killer with borax in
"The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. For this reason, borax should not be used around food. More commonly, borax is associated with skin, eye, or respiratory irritation. It is also important to point out that exposure to borax may impair fertility or cause damage to an unborn child." from a proper chemistry site.

I had a look and there are all kinds of tips. One says use a 50/50 mix of water & white vinegar in a spray bottle. One says to use instant grits (ground corn) it says that they eat it and it swells in them and kills them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
We used these when we had a previous ant issue, they are inside plastic boxes so the cats cant get at the poison

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANT-STOP-BAIT-STATION-DESTROY-ANTS-HOME-OFFICE-GARDEN_W0QQitemZ180482754689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV?hash=item2a059c4881

I wouldn't risk using anything else  :)

Forgot to say you can get them in B&Q and the likes  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:16:18 AM by CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls »
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
ant killer safe to use
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
we have ant issues and was wondering if there was an ant killer-powder/spray etc that is suitable to use around the cats?

TF x
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Link to CatChat