Author Topic: Getting a partly feral stray to the vet  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Ladymissk

• Kitten
Re: Getting a partly feral stray to the vet
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
Sorry, I'm not risking frightening him to death, he's been abused enough...the pom poms stay, until hes settled properly..if not I'll just have to put up with them!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 13:34:52 PM »
OMG I'm so sorry to hear this.  They only way to do it in that case is to use (borrow) a trap and transfer crate.  http://www.catactiontrust.org.uk/index.php/how-to-trap

he really does need to lose the pom poms for everyones benefit :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ladymissk

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 15:28:14 PM »
Well guys, I tried! Booked him in the vets, tried everything...got him halfway in the cat box then he went beserk!! I lost half my fingers, poo everywhere!! Hes just to frightened, and I'm not risking scaring him away...so the ' pom poms 'will be staying on!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 12:44:10 PM »
make it nice and inviting ... bit of catnip spray on a towel in the bottom  ;)  Try covering the carrier with a towel as well.

Good luck.

Offline Ladymissk

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 10:53:00 AM »
Hi Sam
I am currently just leaving the cat carrier out, unfortunately my other cat who knows exactly what it is, isn't happy and thinks he's going in it! So Ive just left it in the kitchen, see how it goes. I will keep you posted!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »
Hi  :welcome:

I can't add anymore than frances has already said apart from one thing.  Dont try and force him into a small carrier.  I would suggest something like this:  https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pet-carrier?size=large?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing_shopping&cm_mmc=bing-_-CPC-_-%20bing_shopping-_-bing_shopping&ita=1976&ito=bing_shopping&istCompanyId=7255ccad-a1fc-4729-af31-478f79e5071c&istFeedId=385e6b9a-8b03-4076-a8bb-e4737df8549c&istItemId=itxmxxwma&istBid=t&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=367726009&cq_term=&cq_plac=&cq_net=s&cq_plt=gp&msclkid=3301613e7b1515b3a3c104043197ab17&gclid=3301613e7b1515b3a3c104043197ab17&gclsrc=3p.ds

Stand the box on it's end, scruff your boy, pick him up supporting his bum and lower him into the box.  Be firm and quick and and shut the door.  You will only get one chance if he's anything like the boy I had, he yowled and screamed and tried to grab me through the bars (warch out for the claws lol) but he forgave me and came back for food the next day ;)

Good luck

Offline Ladymissk

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 16:37:05 PM »
Hi Frances
Thanks for your reply. I have tried picking him up but he goes wild and scratches me! I will leave the cat carrier out tho, do you think the vet would give me a sedative for him? Mind you I don't know how I'd get that down him!
I will keep you informed!

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 02:04:47 AM »
Hello and welcome to Purrs.

I completely understand that you don’t want to create issues with this boy now that he has decided you are his human however the only way you are going to get him to a vet is to get him in a carrier.

I suggest you put the carrier you want to use  somewhere where he cannot miss it so that he can investigate it.  Are your carriers top or end opening?  If top opening you are going to have to lift him into it – try putting him in, perhaps with a treat, and let him decide if he wants to jump out immediately or turn into a brick(!)  If it is end opening, again try bribing with a treat to see if he will go into it himself.  If you keep doing this over a period of time he may learn it is not a scary thing.

This may or may not work and you may have to resort to just picking him up and putting him in the carrier despite his protests.  This will feel awful for you but I really don’t think you are going to add to any trauma and a vet check and neutering (which will probably mean a second vet visit/getting him in a carrier) are definitely in his best interests.

One of my cats does a vanishing act if I even think about taking him to the vet.  I suggest you try for a morning appointment and keep him in a closed room (with food, water, a litter tray and the carrier) the night before.  When you get back, open the carrier in the same room so that he both knows where he is and doesn’t immediately run off.  He will forgive you!

Do let us know how you get on.

Offline Ladymissk

• Kitten
Getting a partly feral stray to the vet
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 12:00:09 PM »
Hi Guys
I hope you can help with this one! For the past 8 months I have been feeding a large ginger un neutered tom, he now comes in the house, is ok with my other cat, doesn't spray in the house and is well behaved. He gets a bit stinky as he wanders sometimes, and I think he has been abused as he is terrified of men, and shoes. He used a litter tray I put down for him, but missed, and was cowering and whimpering under the table as tho he has been hit previously.
Hes a gorgeous cat, I need to get him neutered and checked out, but I just dare'nt frighten him and put him in a cat box, as he has had enough trauma. Any advice? 

Link to CatChat