Author Topic: AFI - Animal Friends Insurance - not for profit insurance company  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: AFI - Animal Friends Insurance - not for profit insurance company
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
The operative word is 'net', Mark. Who is to say what classes as deductable expenditure before net profit is declared out of the gross?  :shify:

I never go anywhere near stuff like that. Some companies trade on the names of charities yet give them only pennies for the priveledge. The charities keep quiet because it's income they wouldn't have had.

30 years ago, every Christmas we used to get a pack sent to us unsolicited by a company claiming to support Foot and Mouth painters. It was an honour thing, and if we kept the cards it was hoped we pay for them. Inside were Christmas cards painted by armless artists holding brushes in their mouths, or their toes. The packs cost the equivalent of £6.00, in small print it said the amount paid to the artists was 12p! Hence, I buy my Christmas cards direct from charities these days.

I also go for the best deal I can get, and send a cheque for a tenner to IFAW, or something similar once in a while....  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 08:57:02 AM »
Surely if E&L are only the underwriters, the decision on payment would come from AFI and not them?

I'm curious as to how this woman makes a living if "all net profits" go to charity. Unless she takes a huge salary and whats left over is net profit? - I see she won businesswoman of the year.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:39:24 AM »
Edited to add:  Just read that they are underwritten by E & L, I will be avoiding them like the plague in that case!

Who are these? and whats wrong with them?

'E & L' are Equine & Livestock Insurance company, they've got a very bad reputation for not paying out when the time comes!

Excess is £49 plus For Vet's Fees
plus 35% of the remaining claim.  it says in little letters!

Not on the one I was looking at - under 8 years, it's just £49.  You were obviously looking at the 8 years and over policy...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:20:43 AM »
Their excess is the same as E & L, I looked into them as they do insure oldies, and didn't like their wording. Sainsburys are £50 up to £350 and 15% over for oldies.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 21:35:55 PM »
Excess is £49 plus For Vet's Fees
plus 35% of the remaining claim.  it says in little letters!

Sainsburys abnd M&s are 15% of claim at a certain point, well thats if you have an excess with M&S.........................must ring them tomorrow about the wording grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 16:14:41 PM »

Edited to add:  Just read that they are underwritten by E & L, I will be avoiding them like the plague in that case!

Who are these? and whats wrong with them?

hOrZa

TIA
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 15:59:00 PM »
I think you only get lifetime cover with the top 2 plans too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 15:47:32 PM »
Just read that they are underwritten by E & L, I will be avoiding them like the plague in that case!

Oh god yes!

Nobody touch this company  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
The excess is only £49 Gill, think you might have read the wrong column!  The premiums themselves aren't that competetive but with M&S putting their prices up they are not that far off the mark. 

I'll look at them next year when my insurance is due for Lucas.  Can't really change Riley now as have already claimed for his ECG/ultrasound, nothing untoward was found but you just know that if he develops a sore toe in the future the insurance company will say it's related to the mysterious panting issue which is now a pre-existing condition although nothing wrong was found so nothing really exists  :innocent:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:28:06 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »
Thats a shame as if the benefits were in line with others, I would change over knowing all their profits go to good causes.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 20:52:25 PM »
They are not competitive at all...............the excess is enormous and max cover is only £6000.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
AFI - Animal Friends Insurance - not for profit insurance company
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 18:51:27 PM »
I just saw this and wondered how competitive they are. 100% of net  profit goes to various animal charities as well. Their cover is "lifetime"

http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/support_charities.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 19:16:39 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat