Author Topic: Seeing red (again)  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Seeing red (again)
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 13:13:50 PM »
I emailed the person with the kittens asking when I can view them, they responded by saying they wouldn't be going for another 5 weeks as it was illegal taking them away from mum so young   :evillaugh:  I think reading between the lines, they must have had a few emails telling them they shouldn't be going at 3 weeks  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »
The chap I've spoken to said he breeds cats "because he likes them." He said he has no issue doing this because local farms will happily pay £30 each for the kittens

I think you can take that as he likes the £30's they bring in, rather than the cats themselves.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 09:15:15 AM »
OMG - trying to sell them at 3 weeks old!  Unbelievable  >:(  And the sad thing is there will probably be takers.

Yes all kittens have blue eyes, and grey cats aren't particularly rare.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 09:03:25 AM »
THE 2 GREY KITTENS ARE VERY RARE WITH BLUE EYES, THE PET SHOP WOULD GIVE ME  £95 FOR EACH OF THEM

Don't all kittens have blue eyes when they're born? Someone's going to get a bit of a shock when their "rare cats" eyes start to change colour.

What sort of person sells a kitten so young? Never mind, don't answer that one!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 05:23:21 AM »
Could,nt someone put a warning on these site's/pages......telling them about kittens should be atleast 8wks old....pref 12/14 etc.....sad that alot of ppl out there are still unaware of this and the probs these poor babes will have in later life etc?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 00:10:21 AM »
How can these people get away with selling kittens that are 3 weeks old  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  I'm gonna send the info to our local RSPCA branch tomorrow to see if anything can be done, these peeps want bloody shooting  :censored:  :censored:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 00:07:39 AM »
Very rare with blue eyes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 00:06:19 AM »
I agree with the others, you may as well bang your head against a brick wall, you'd probably get more sense  :censored:  :censored:  I received an email today, another gum tree ad I presume but one to make your blood boil  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

2 Grey Kittens And 2 Black Kittens With Grey Socks For Sale 3 Weeks Old
(£60)
 Reply to:  *************
 Date:  Thursday 7th June
 UP FOR SALE I HAVE
 2 GREY KITTENS WITH BLUE EYES
 AND 2 BLACK KITTENS 1 WITH GREY SOCKS FOR SALE
 BOTH ARE 3 WEEKS OLD
GREY ONES £80.00 each
 BLACK ONES £60.00 each
 FEEL FREE TO COME AND VIEW KITTENS
 CONTACT ME ON **********
 THE 2 GREY KITTENS ARE VERY RARE WITH BLUE EYES, THE PET SHOP WOULD GIVE ME  £95 FOR EACH OF THEM

QUICK SALE
 NO TIME WASTERS PLEASE
 THANK YOU

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 21:46:45 PM »
i dont think its anything to do with X pedigree thing at all...just someone wanting to churn out something that causes them no actual problems (not her thats the pregnant one) but yet she gains the £150...makes no difference if both parents moggies or just one.

lets face it atleast half of "breeders" should be stopped aswell as they are little or no better...the only breeding that should be done is those really good uns who are dedicated to their particular breed.

Having said that i have often thought hypothetically speaking (coz it aint ever gonna happen) what happens if this did take place would we then have "good" breeders breeding moggies ?

Like the others have said, you'll never get through to peeps like that or change their minds...lost causes unfortunately.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 21:35:19 PM »
The chap I've spoken to said he breeds cats "because he likes them." He said he has no issue doing this because local farms will happily pay £30 each for the kittens - and then not neuter or spay them either! :brick:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 21:30:17 PM »
If you'regentle, they'll ignore you; if you tear them off a strip they'll think you're picking on them. You're wasting your time with them, but you may alert potential buyers to the problem of kitten farms.

Sadly, I think you're right.  I can never decide in these cases whether people are just ignorant of the over population problem or whether they are just greedy and want to make money.  This is why I wish early neutering was more commonplace over here.  It would make it harder for people like this to get hold of intact cats in the first place.  I'm just a bit wound up about it at the moment as all these people were giving advice and saying don't breed because they aren't registered breeding cats then she comes out and says that she doesn't give a hoot about whether they're actually pedigrees and just wants kittens to sell  >:(

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 21:10:40 PM »
If you'regentle, they'll ignore you; if you tear them off a strip they'll think you're picking on them. You're wasting your time with them, but you may alert potential buyers to the problem of kitten farms.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 21:03:03 PM »
unfortunately there is no getting through to these people .. they just ££££££'s and will continue to do it.  I feel sorry for the poor people that paid £150 for the kittens (probably thiniking they were getting a pedigree).

People like this should be shot in my opinion ... they are not interested in cat welfare just money!  >:( >:( >:(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Seeing red (again)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 20:53:50 PM »
On another forum a new poster posted in the breeders section about problems concerning difficulties she was having with her female ragdoll - she wants to mate her.  In her second post she admitted she wasn't sure if her cat was actually a ragdoll - it could be a birman!  That set a few people off saying, quite rightly, that she should not breed the cat.  As the poster was new I tried to make a polite post pointing out the if she wanted to breed raggies, fine, but best do it the right way.  reply - she has no intention of breeding raggies, doesn't care about the breed or whether they are pedigree.  And has already sold many kittens resulting from a ragdoll x moggy mating for £150 each  >:(

How on earth do you get through to these people?  This isn't a pedigree breeder so lets not get into the whole pedigree debate - this is someone deliberately breeding mixed breed cats and thinking there's nothing wrong with it.  How do we educate these people?  I really just feel like tearing my hair out when I read about this kind of thing.  Any advice anyone?

Here's the thread

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130034

Link to CatChat