Author Topic: Chins/bottom jaws getting stuck in break-away collars??  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Chins/bottom jaws getting stuck in break-away collars??
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »
they have never found one suitable enough for a kitten under that age.

To be honest it is not only kittens that I hear this about, in fact I think it is more adults as many people do not bother with collars until they let the cats out.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 09:06:28 AM »
I have one particular cat, Felix, Mike calls him our "simple" cat,  who cannot wear a collar because he always manages to get it caught in his mouth, no matter how tight we get it on him or what type of collar we use. Fortunately, he is one of my indoor cats and he is microchipped so if he should escape we should be able to trace him.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »
Has anyone else had this problem with break-away colars or collars in general?

Sadly yes I hear this type of thing regularly
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 21:31:58 PM »
Hi Helen

I going to wait until the boys are at least 6 months as Marla from kittycollars said they have never found one suitable enough for a kitten under that age.

Mupps and Rascal hated their collars at first and I found them all over the house to start with  :tired: but I didn't experience that chin problem and Rascal is quite a wee cat. They are now ok with them although Mupps as been known to show visitors how easy it is to remove them   :tired:

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 21:00:06 PM »
Yep I had this problem with Hobbes when I was doing the same as you Helen and just trying it out for short periods to get him used to one, I did get it the right size but somehow he still managed to get it stuck so I'm leaving it till he's a bit bigger just in case.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
Tried collars before but it always ends up the same, cat comes over to me drooling over my hands looking pitiful.

They get their paw and jaw stuck in the collar. So we don't do collars any more.

Little Girl's (rip) lasted a couple days, Lirae's lasted all about 2 minutes.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 23:06:17 PM »
Thanks everyone, Tiggy wore a normal elasticated so called 'safety' collar all her life and never had the jaw issue.  I didn't know if it were something to do with break-away collars in general as they have the breakaway clasp and the adjustable bit which make the collars not quite ciruclar and give them somethiong to bite on to.  I think I'll persevere with short supervised wearing sessions and try to tighten it a bit more.

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 21:57:21 PM »
both of mine wear the breakaway kitty collars (with my tel no on it) as, even though they're chipped, I just feel  cats, especially ginger males, look as if they're owned when they wear a collar.

Jessie has always been fine with wearing one, Cosmo was a complete little  :censored: and it was a real pain to get it on him.  The first couple of times he ran off and managed to get his bottom jaw hooked under the collar when trying to get it off.  We had to catch him and take it off as I was frightened he was going to hurt himself.  However, now we've managed to get it at the right size i.e. not loose around his neck but not too tight either, and he's used to it, he doesn't try to get it off.  I also know that it does break off really easily so feel comfortable him wearing it when we're not around.

hope that helps -  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 18:29:51 PM »
I only use collars when they first go out and got 3 for the young ones, all 3 of them managed to do this and totally lost it. I decided not to use them because i wanted peace of mind but that wasnt what i was getting!
It normally happens when they are too loose but i couldnt tighten mine anymore or they would have been strangled  :evillaugh:

Also worth mentioning they were past their first birthdays when this happened so weren't teenies.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 18:18:12 PM »
I had the same problem with Zephyr he got his collar over his bottom jaw and was going absolutely mental ... fortunately I was in the house at the time and managed to get it off him (after sustaining one hell of a scratch!) .... collars were subsequently removed and have never been used again.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 17:33:07 PM »
Mine have never become tangled in a breakaway collar, but I can see how it could happen when very small. I found it very difficult to get the collars to fit properly until they were about 8 months old. Even though I could only just get two fingers between cat and collar, it somehow seemed the wrong shape, and didn't look as snug as it should. I think taking it off at night, or when they are unsupervised for a while, is probably best.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 17:30:28 PM »
yes i did helen

it was about 6mths ago my oh woke me up one morning saying there was something wrong with bailey he was in the corner keep rubbing his paw againest his mouth
i went over to him and his lip was stuck over his collar
i quickly got it off him and he never wore one again

and when i joined purrs and learnt the danger of collars i took all my other cats collars off of them
collars r very pretty and u can get some lovely ones
but i think they r just too dangerous tbh
and bailey wasnt a kitten at the time when this happened ,he was 2 n a half .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Chins/bottom jaws getting stuck in break-away collars??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 17:24:53 PM »
I bought a break-away type collar the other day to try and get the boys used to wearing one in the future so it's not such a hideous shock when they are older/bigger. It is fully adjustable and adjusts small enough to fit their necks. 

Neither of them seem upset by having it on (literally for 5 mins at a time) but they have both managed to get their chin/bottom jaw hooked under the collar as they are trying to bite it, they are not biting it in a frantic frightened way more in a playful 'whats this?' way but nonetheless I'm really worried by this. Obviously I don't leave them alone with the collar on as they are still too young to wear one really.

Has anyone else had this problem with break-away colars or collars in general?  I'm not trying to re-ignite the great collar / no collar debate I was just wondering whether it's a fluke that it's happened to them both in such a short amount of time. 

Link to CatChat