Author Topic: why do cats have to be cats :-(  (Read 1756 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: why do cats have to be cats :-(
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 13:06:03 PM »
Luckily its not very often gillian but if any silly creature does go into his run then they are brown bread..nothing escapes alive.

He never really eats anything he kills ... well occasionally a bird but never really rodents, fraser would eat them.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »
gotta say as much as i dont like mice and birds being killed the wee shrews do upset me  :(

You could try feeding him the already dead frozen mice Lynn - perhaps he wouldnt bring you in the live wild ones then  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
rather helpful link
http://www.bna-naturalists.org/educ/ident/BNAquick.htm#s

and this is what seb killed..not a shrew !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/267.shtml

Learn something new everyday, I didnt realise certain species of voles were that small.

How wonderful, i have voles, shrews AND a hare in my garden  :Luv:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
I do love shrews... wee bad tempered pointy micies.

So far all the girls have killed have been the poor spiders... not much I can do to help them. :(
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 10:59:29 AM »
do you know what, ive just been googling to find a pic of my little shrew and identify which type and so far what ive come across is that it looks far more like a field vole  :-:  I'll have to reasearch this further after picking up anya from nursery, to my mind this wee thing was far too small for a vole  :Crazy:
Its nose wasnt so pointy as the very pointy ones ive seen bottom of garden and it had half a tail (but it hadnt been chewed off or anything)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »
The Daddy shrew makes him sound enormous "who's the Daddy"  :rofl: :rofl:  :evillaugh:

This little article might make you feel better as they eat other shrews to feem themselves too yuk!!  :sick: :sick: :sick:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/shrew/Shrewprintout.shtml

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
gotta say as much as i dont like mice and birds being killed the wee shrews do upset me  :(

SP i think this was quite a "daddy" shrew, its nose wasnt quite so pointy as some ive seen and he had quite a thick coat round his neck if that makes sense LOL  Of course there was other evidence he was a boy shrew aswell.  Their half tails are quite odd aswell arent they.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:19:22 AM »
Here's one for you:

Boys will be boys  ;)  Poor shrew. I have to say I am glad Lexy hasn't discovered the joys of hunting outside.  When (and that is a big WHEN) I have my grown up house maybe she will venture into her run and hunt, but it will kill me if she brings them indoors.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
aww poor little long nose mouse...................they are really really cute aren't they...........I do wish bringing us gifts wasn't in their upbringing .......I get really upset if they bring things in that are not quite dead

xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
why do cats have to be cats :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »
I was in the bathroom sat night and hear seb come inside and meow..funny i thinks as he has been fed.

I pop my head out to investigate and there he was starting at his fresh kill...a shrew  >:( >:(

Some of you may know he has killled a few shrews in the past but i thought with the slabbing and chuckies in and around the cat run the little creatures wouldnt have burrows underneath and hopefully wouldnt fall victim to my shrew killing maching, such a shame..it was a cute wee thing as as ive said previously shrews are fantastic wee creatures who DO NOT come into our houses and chew our wires etc.  I do hope he doesnt manage to get any more  :(

Link to CatChat