Author Topic: Working with animals  (Read 1082 times)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Working with animals
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 23:05:26 PM »
I have 9 rescue cats 3 labradors and 3 rescue horses. I occasionally look after cruelty case horses when needed, trouble is I hate letting them go. All 3 of my horses had, had a bad start in life and to see such a beautiful creature so big yet so scared is awful, but thats the same with all animals... :( :( :( :( :( :( to see them now get sooo excited when they see me coming is wonderful all my animals ARE MY EVERYTHING  :hug: :hug:

I prefer animals to most people too  :hug:

xx

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 22:40:20 PM »
I run a pet sitting business from Potton, Biggleswade and also do some voluntary work for my local cat shelter when i can...

I always try to help sometimes it can be very sad though althoguh others can be just as rewarding :)
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 15:58:10 PM »
Did you enjoy your kennel work? Other jobs i can think of are pet sitting, dog walking, training as a VN (your never too old!), stable hand/groom, quarantine centres, airports have an animal section too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 13:39:27 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 14:45:07 PM »
I ran a campaign for 4 years to try to save the lives of an endangered species of beautiful wild himalayan tahr in Cape Town. They were condemned for being 'alien' and at the end of it, they were predictably shot by the state authorities.  It was awful work and I don't think I would do it again, although am glad I stood up for it back then.

I'd love to work with animals in a rewarding way but not sure how to go about it really. How do you become a vet nurse in the UK? Or a pet groomer?! I'd like a skill that I could get a part-time job anywhere, eg in France, and particularly as I get older. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »
I did work with animals and possibly will return to the same career.  I'm a qualified veterinary nurse.  I grew up on a farm so have always been fairly heavily involved with animals one way or another.

PS i have 2 greyhounds and have had 4 altogether  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:16:56 AM »
My work with cats involves grooming them for a living! I started my cat grooming service about 6 yrs ago, after having persian cats myself and seeing how much work is needed to keep them looking good. Plus I helped out at a persian rescue, picking cats up for rehoming etc and found that many longhaired cats were just dumped in rescue because owners didnt bother with their coats, or didnt know how to groom properly.

I get frustrated sometimes, because even some of my customers leave it too long between grooming sessions and me and the puss cats have to struggle through the tangles, and there are some coats that can't be saved, which is a shame, but its nice to see the cats looking nice and feeling more comfortable after I've groomed them.

Offline shinney

• Adult Cat
Working with animals
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 20:02:20 PM »
Hi, i was just wondering how many of you work with animals and what do you do?

I know that alot of you work with cat rescues or run your own, but does any one else work with animals doing different type of work.

I currently foster for a cat sanctaury, been doing this for 3+ years, I dont work at the moment as i have a young child but have been seriously considering it, I would like to work with animals but not sure on what i want to be. I have worked in offices, parents shops , boarding kennels and greyhound kennels.

So where do you work?

Link to CatChat