Author Topic: Is it easy for a vet to tell if a female has been spayed ?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Is it easy for a vet to tell if a female has been spayed ?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 10:30:27 AM »
I think that a small tattoo near the wound when spayed is the best idea - I know some rescues in the US do it, they even colour code so if they are found and shaved, they  know which rescue did it, as they all have their own separate colour.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 20:02:20 PM »
I've got this problem on Monday.  Just took a cat in and haven't got a clue if she's been done or not......Sean said the same as Angie and Lynn, a scar doesn't necessarily mean she's been done.  I asked him to shave her to have a look which he will but there's no guarantees  :sneaky:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 16:48:30 PM »
Angie is correct, even if there is a scar in the correct place its not gaurantee'd that it is a spay scar or a scratch.

I can understand why its so difficult, endoscopes in the vagina might reveal a dead end or abnormal cervix BUT its not as easy to access a cat (nor princess) cervix as it is a humans.

Inside of course things dont sit neatly like tins to in our kitchen cupboards and altho they have anatomical positions roughly speaking this varies from cat to cat and also how much abdominal fat and all the mesentry etc.

I reckon...the easiest way to tell should be to blood test and test hormone level..that should be pretty indicitive in my opinion but i do not know where such tests would be performed..seems like the easiest way forward  to  me though.

ear tipping is still done in colonys but then how do we know 100% that was due to neutering really.

microchipping..yes i can see that point but many prefer chips to be done before neutering age..some sort of tattoo / branding whilst under ga for neutering maybe

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
Very difficult to see if a female has been spayed.
Think you will have to wait and see if she comes into season

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 22:02:59 PM »
Personally I think I would keep the cat for a few months and wait to see if she comes into season.

That is exactly what we do and also our vets preferred method.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 21:46:12 PM »
Our vet has always said you can't tell without going back in - even a scar in the right place doesn't necessarily mean that the cat has been spayed.
The group have done a couple of girls than didn't need it. Personally I think I would keep the cat for a few months and wait to see if she comes into season.

I don't know why they can't tell - I'd have thought with all these little camera's and stuff it would br easy enough to see whether the vagina actually went into something or was a dead end!

I think vets should be forced to microchip at spey!

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Is it easy for a vet to tell if a female has been spayed ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 21:28:52 PM »
My friend has just taken in a stray (having checked with neighbours and also no microchip) which she thinks is a little girl.   The little tabby seems young and is playful.   She will be taking her to the vets soon to check her over and see whether she has been spayed.   Just wondered if it is easy for them to tell for females - my friend is worried they will say she needs an op when perhaps she doesn't.   Any advice appreciated, thanks.   (Obviously she is not letting her out again until she knows).
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Link to CatChat