Author Topic: fox in the garden  (Read 1148 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: fox in the garden
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 14:55:08 PM »
We have hundreds of foxes here in SE London.  I was standing on the flat roof outside the kitchen when I saw one chasing a black cat along a narrow fence. I didn't see the end but heard the most blood curdling noises. Nothing I could do as was too far away and it was awful.  A young, old or ill cat stands no chance with an aggressive, hungry fox.  The foxes here are mostly around in the early ams and evenings, but they are really tame and sleep on the grass during the day too.
I don't know if the introduction of sealed wheelie bins means that they have less to eat and so attack cats?

OH was very annoyed with me as I wouldn't consider any garden flats in case my boys escaped and got killed by a fox.  He took my point though when his boss told him that she and her husband had buried their cat in a nearby forest in Kent and gone on the weekend to visit her grave, only to find to their horror that she'd been dug up and eaten. Stretches my AR credentials to the utmost.
Remember if there are foxes in your area and you build a cat run, to make sure they can't dig their way in - just grass and soil and they can.
I do like to see the foxes though in an urban environment, but make sure your cat is safe.  Having said all that, there are plenty cats walking around who they don't seem to bother - probably young and fit cats.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 11:45:48 AM »
This is so sad..........gone are the days that foxes would not bother with cats unless injured :(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
As the others have said - foxes will attack cats

I would be very careful

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 19:46:20 PM »
Fox's will attack cats if they have babies nearby or if they are really hungry.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 19:39:35 PM »
my mums neighbours cat was killed by a fox a couple of years ago

her owners werent that bothered

but we was devastated

and we will always miss tinker she was lovely and always came in our house  :Luv:

id not let ur babe out if theres a fox about hun but its up to u
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline shinney

• Adult Cat
fox in the garden
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 18:05:35 PM »
Can any one tell me if foxes can attack and kill cats. We have a fox that keeps coming in to the garden dueing the day and night.

The other day, one of my cats was sitting in the garden, when a fox came up behind him. my son shouted at the fox and it turned around and ran, but then the cat chased the fox.

I am worried about letting my youngest cat out in the garden, as she is ownly 7 mths. :scared:

Link to CatChat