Author Topic: Something else I was shocked about!!!  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Something else I was shocked about!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 19:00:41 PM »
Dylan destroyed the back of my sofa but I'd rather have Dylan than a fancy sofa anyway.

You want to see what my little horrors have done to my house  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  :evillaugh:  They've wrecked all my door frames even though they have cat posts all over the house, they've wrecked my banister post and my bedding box and god knows what else.  See, I think animals are ungrateful, I take them in, put a roof over their head, feed them, give them lots of cuddles and in return, I get my house wrecked, and I get scratched and bit......where's the justice in that  ;)  The parrots have chewed my door frame and my beams in both lounge and dining room, they've chewed numerous things around the house, usually wreck anything that's on the kitchen side or anything within reach but all in all, I wouldn't change them for the world........hubby might but I know he'd miss them if they weren't here  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 19:07:49 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 17:27:49 PM »
Dylan destroyed the back of my sofa but I'd rather have Dylan than a fancy sofa anyway. Throws are a wonderful invention I find  :rofl: As others have said if you want an immaculate house don't have a pet (I know which one I would rather have). Some people are just unbelievably  :censored: and should never be allowed near animals.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 15:36:32 PM »
If its a medical necessity then of course it may be the best/only course of action.

Its the people who consider it 'cos they don't want their furniture to be damaged who need their heads examining  :(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 15:32:11 PM »
I think its terrible for non medical reasons but on occasion it really helps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 21:26:09 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 14:30:58 PM »
Even then, a goldfish may splash and make a mark on the parquet floor .............

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 14:30:08 PM »
Even then, a goldfish may splash and make a mark on the parquet floor .............

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 14:26:19 PM »
declawing is awful  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

clare :yea i agree ,if u wanna be house proud then have a goldfish lol lol

MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 14:23:58 PM »
I would have to say that if you want to be totally houseproud, don't share your home with any animal, apart from maybe a goldfish  :rofl:

Max has totally destroyed our old sofa, and I'm sure he has designs on the other one now  :doh:  I can't believe that in this day and age people still think its acceptable to think about declawing  :Crazy:  Just the thought of it makes me feel ill  :sick:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 14:21:21 PM »
Why do so many people put such a high value on furniture? It's only a bit a replaceable (sp) upholstery. I put throws over mine, which deters scratching, but I really don't care if it gets a bit scratched. My friends take me for who I am: a cat person. Only my mother (who dislikes cats grrrrr)nags me about my scratched upholstery. I don't give a hoot. My cats are happy, that's all that matters.

Bought them a scratching post, but only Sam uses it, perhaps I should by another for Polly?

:scratch:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 13:58:40 PM »
i wouldnt worry about going anywhere else..i'd be happy to lay a bet there isnt a vet in the country who would do that without medical cause..that would be a big STRUCK OFF if they did and were caught..stuff like that does get out aswell !!
Plus out of so many vets ive known and or worked with etc i can say every single one would go purple at the thought with rage..even the ones who are money orientated.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 13:49:50 PM »
Tan I'm not sure what was said but it was explained by the VN that it was illegal and mutilation of an animal etc etc.  I can't see them going anywhere else really and if they did, I think they would get the same response. 

Lynn, the VN in question is only part time and I think she does the work voluntarily so not very clued up I wouldn't have thought when it came to things they don't normally deal with.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 13:42:08 PM »
Dawn sorry to say those are not uncommon requests from animal owners, Not common either but quite a few times per year if i'd been on reception and got the enquiry i'd blow my stack over the phone..I was a vn not a receptionist so i am guessing there were also quite a few calls the receptionists dealt with that i do not know about (probably more politely than me !! )

I am bewildered your vn didnt know about or had heard of declawing  and what it entailed  :Crazy:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »
It's one of the most horrendous things anyone could do to their so call loved cat.  :'( :'( :'( and thank god vets don't do it in UK. I wish it was the same in other countries.

DD want did the vets say to the woman? Did they convince her it was awful to do or simply refuse and she has gone else where?

:Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
Yes, I agree completely Susanne - it would prob be used for similar reasons to US, cant be bothered to train cats not to scratch, much easier to declaw.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I'm wary of declawing even being mentioned in the UK press or in forums etc as I think it's better if people just don't know there is such a thing!  Not that anyone on here would consider it, but I'm sure there are many cat owners over here would think it a great idea, unfortunately.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
Can't believe some people!!
Gill - it is something mentioned in articles about declawing, although I dont remember seeing it can happen often, so maybe they haven't done anything as radical with Chester. He is probably right about calling it amputation, as that is effectively what declawing is.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:11:11 AM »
Awww poor babe  :'(  The vet nurse who told me had never even heard of declawing and just thought it was a case of pulling the claw out.........I did point out the cruelty involved and how it affects the cats.  Apparently Ian was horrified that someone would ask to do such a thing to an animal so I was quite proud of him really  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 00:54:21 AM »
Oh noooooooooooooooooo  >:( >:( >:(

While on this subject, when I was at my brothers yesterday he was saying that Chester his Maine Coon had to have a claw amputated........his words and suspect he has never heard of declawing................cos it got ripped out while Mr chester was up to no good and it became infected inside the bone. However Chester is having a problem with it again and apparently the claw has regenerated itself and grown about 5mms. His vet says that often happens so unless the declawing is even more radical than the amputation that Chester had, then this must happen to declawed cats and they must have ;oads of probs and pain grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Something else I was shocked about!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 00:49:02 AM »
Talking to the vet nurse today and she said a few weeks ago, they actually had a woman call in to ask if she could have her kitten declawed  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  She'd recently been to visit a friend in America and was saying how her cat was declawed and why should it be any different over here  :censored:  :censored:  And the reason for wanting the kitten to be declawed.............it was scratching the furniture  :brick:  :brick:  Why do these people bother getting a pet if they want to mutilate them just so they can have them just how they want them  :mad2:

Link to CatChat