Author Topic: Cat toys for Purrs shop - input needed  (Read 2785 times)

Offline 4BOBBY

• Adult Cat
  • Bobby
Re: Cat toys for Purrs shop - input needed
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 20:25:06 PM »
I LOVE all the toys...especially the little green man!!! Bobby loves any toya;;;;;;;;;;;t (sorry....Bobby's input!!!) at this stage so I can't be objective but I would defiantly buy them all!!!!

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 20:13:18 PM »
i know what you mean about the alien freaking you out.

i found myself staring at it for a good 10 mins and im not sure why :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The little green men are here to invade us...  :rofl: Actually, my OH loved the first little alien I made for Poppy so much that he asked me to make one for him as well. He keeps it in his pocket every day at work as a little mascot. His one isn't stuffed with catnip though... didn't want cats to jump him on the street...  :rofl: He's worried that the cats will find his one though... see below for pic of how they treated their own one...

Tan - yes, those little knitted fish are quick & easy to make. :) I'm not too keen on them myself (look a bit boring, I think), but I'd happily make them for others! I always have leftover yarn to use up. :D

I'm really pleased people like my "Kitty Bones", since they're a bit different. Poppy & Monkey first got some as stocking fillers this past Christmas, and they still play with them - personally, I wouldn't touch them now 'cos they look disgusting. REALLY disgusting. :sick:  I should throw them out really... so I've just made them some new ones. Hopefully they'll let me take the old ones away now... (I'll be wearing rubber gloves for sure.)

I'm quite glad it's a miserable night now... perfect for staying in and doing some knitting while OH reads to me.  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 20:38:49 PM by littleKitten »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 12:53:59 PM »
Lovely Alex!  I would say, speak to Teresa about this as she has experience of this. She has someone who makes toys for the rescue and Teresa can tell you how well they sell/or not sell as the case may be.

They are lovely though. I have to be honest that unless it was for my sisters' little Pippa or Spencer I wouldn't purchase them only because Lexy has some that Teresa brought for her from the lady who makes them for her, but she's not a fan at all to be honest (then again if it doesn't have a feather on it or is heavily dosed with catnip she doesn't show interest).

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
Alex i just seen the fish too on your other thread link.  Are they easy to make hun?   :Luv: :Luv: 

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »
i really like the mouses  :evillaugh:

but id be a bit worried about the eyes coming off

i really like all of the toys

ur very clever  ;)

they r much better looking than the toys i see in the shop  ;)
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 11:25:44 AM »
I would definitely go for the bones - they're different, safe and, of course, more cost effective for you!  I really like them  ;D

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »
i know what you mean about the alien freaking you out.

i found myself staring at it for a good 10 mins and im not sure why :rofl:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
i JUST LOOKED AT THE WEBSITE sUZANNE GAVE ME AND ALEX MICE ARE NICER THAN THEIRS   ;) ;). I HATE FURRY TOYS FOR CATS, AS IF THEY DONT HAVE ENOUGH FUR BALLS

XX

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
Tan... you're making me blush...   :shy: :shy: :shy:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 12:18:33 PM »
I thought the toys were fab the first time I saw them  and I think the prices are very reasonable.  I particularly like octopus and alien ... my lot have so many mice it's nice to have something different.

Can't wait to see them in the shop.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
I have to say when i got a box in the post and opened it, i was gobsmacked at the quality of the toys Alex has made so bloomin well. She has a great talent  ;D ;D
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: sooo much Alex for this cause the more we can raise for the needy babes is brilliant  :thankyou: :blow kiss:

They are def a hit with Rio and Gizzy. I can hear them saying "good drugs man" while rolling all over them  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Rio has not left his bone home alone yet!!!  :rofl:

Thanks to all for ya input on this hunnies.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 10:47:25 AM by Tan »

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
Thanks for your input, everyone! I'm particularly pleased about the points about safety - although I always try to have that in mind, it's good to get pointers, and I suppose we're all concerned about slighly different things (I'm particularly paranoid about toxins and long ribbons...). I'll try to respond to everything.

EYES: Although Poppy & Monkey have never actually managed to get any of these off, of course, it could happen! I use the normal kind of wiggly eyes that are made from plastic, soft enough to not break your teeth if you chewed on it (I am actually trying it myself right now). On the little fabric mice I've made before, the size of these is only about 2-3 mm, so they should be safe to swallow. Because I increased the size of the mice to make them quicker & easier to make, I used larger eyes to keep in proportion, but maybe that wasn't a good idea. Oh, and the eyes have a flat back, and I attach them with a non-toxic adhesive. I've seen those kind of spiky-backed eyes on shop-bought toys - scary! But I will have a go at embroidering or painting eyes instead, should make them safer!  :)

CATNIP: I have tried different varieties of catnip (always making sure it's organic), the stuff I have at home at the moment is Cleo's Catnip from TwinCat. But I would love recommendations from people! Both about brands & where to buy. (Poppy & Monkey certainly go crazy whenever the catnip comes out, with Poppy doing her trick of stuffing her head in the bag whenever I'm not looking.)

TAILS: I think Poppy & Monkey would be very upset if I gave them tail-less mice...  :( But I appreciate that some of you are really concerned about this. I always try to make sure that tails aren't too long, though (it frightens me when you see toys with "extra long tails").

Hm, mice would look silly without tails & ears... I need to come up with a different creature altogether that could be completely safe... I now see it as my new challenge to create a completely safe toy, that looks cool at the same time! Too often, "safe" things are boring...  :P

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
I think you can get more for the bones, I would happily pay about £2ish. I prob wouldnt get the others, but only cos I have fussy cats that dont play with toys much - although a friend did some homemade catnip toys and they went down well (although two have finally ripped this week, she did bring them in December though, and they have been used by every foster this year, up to No 7!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 05:32:30 AM »
I like them all, but like the others, am mainly worried about the eyes on the mice. I have to admit that if I bought the mice, I would take the eyes off before giving to Rosie. All the toys are lovely and would definately buy a couple.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:33:14 AM by rosiesmum »

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 23:51:56 PM »
well i like em all . BUT the alien freaks me out  :evillaugh: but thats cool

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 22:26:17 PM »
Mice without tails are no fun at all, may as well just have balls.........my cats love tails to chase and play with. I just dont like solid hard objects that may break, pull out and have spikes.

And I wish Misa and Sasa would stop bringing mice in to play with cos have had 3 in two weeks and one dropped in a bucket in the shed.........dont know if it was dead already or drowned but I noticed they all had tails  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 22:12:45 PM »
I like the little mice but hate eyes noses and tails too anything they could rip off and choke..... they are really sweet without the accessories  :hug:

well done to you

xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 22:08:32 PM »
Can I ask a question, well two please?

The eyes on the mice look like they are bubbles or something and like the others I worry about beeds and things that are glass or plastic and have spikes.......what are they made off?

Other question is where do you get5 the catnip from and what is the quality like?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 21:11:03 PM »
Great toys  ;D  I like the simpler ones too, the fabric mice look fantastic but I'm with Christine on the paranoia of chocking hazards hence the eye-less, nose-less, ear-less, tail-less mice that live in my house  :evillaugh: 

I think the prices are about right although I think you could easily ask more for the simpler ones.  Not only are they handmade but with all the proceeds going to a good cause they are worth more than £1.  I can't wait to see a little bone in each of my boys mouths, they love carrying stuff round and they look super cute too  :Luv:  If you think there could be an issue with people buying the more expensive ones then perhaps you could make those to order?  Not sure how feasible that would be for you given you are making them in your spare time though.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 20:37:08 PM »
I missed your original post (no idea how!) but I must say, what lovely toys.

It would be super to have these in the upcoming Purrs shop and I am sure rescues would like to have them as donations as well.  The prices seem OK to me, given that the money would be going direct to a named rescue.  Or, through the Purrs shop, you could ask people to pay what they would like to give - that should raise more?

I would buy the simple ones, like the bones, as I am neurotic about choking hazards, but this may not be an issue?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
Cat toys for Purrs shop - input needed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 20:12:19 PM »
Warning: quite a long post, but please read it if you can - Tan and I need your input!

Hi, as some of you may remember, I posted about my handmade cat toys a few weeks back. I was originally thinking of just donating some to rescues, but some people suggested I sell them and donate the money instead. Anyway, the original thread is here: http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=3357.0.

As you probably know, Purrs will be getting its very own shop shortly, selling goods with all profits going to cat rescue, and Tan and I have talked about selling the toys in the shop. But the thing is, handmade-in-the-UK things are more expensive to produce than things that are mass produced in countries with cheap labour. And although I won't be taking any of the profits myself, I still have to be a bit realistic about the time spent making the toys. I have been using approximate minimum wage as a guideline to try to work out the lowest reasonable prices - because if we would raise much less than that, my time would actually be better spent doing "normal work", and donating money from my wage! If you follow me... (It wouldn't make sense for me to spend an hour making something that would raise £1, now would it?)

Anyway, below are pics of a few different toys that I could make. For each, I have modified the design to make them as quick as possible to make (my OH swears there are sparks flying sometimes when I work...), and then timed how long it takes to make them to work out how to price them.

Firstly, we have my sewn fabric mice & knitted alien, both stuffed with catnip. These both take roughly an hour to make (the fabric mice, for instance, are made from 7 individual pieces!), so we were thinking about £5.

Then there's the knitted mice, which I can make either stuffed with catnip or with a "rattle" inside for those who like noisy toys... They take about 45 mins to make, so maybe £3.50 for those.

And then there's my Kitty Bones (with catnip, of course), which are quite quick to make, so they could sell for maybe about £1. Poppy and Monkey love these, they're great for carrying around the house, and it looks so sweat when they carry them in their mouths... Why should only dogs get bones, I say!

Now, Tan and I thought we'd ask you people to have a think about whether those prices are unreasonable. (The prices above are actually less than what they cost to make, since materials and equipment haven't been taken into the equation... I'm providing those.) Because if nobody will be prepared to pay that amount, it's not really worthwhile making them to sell! Like I said earlier, then it would make more sense for me to do paid work instead and donate money! So whatcha think people? Don't forget that ALL THE MONEY would go to charity, since I am not taking any of the profit. So your furry babe could get a unique handmade toy (a designer toy, I suppose!) PLUS you'd be helping some of those cats who are less fortunate. Often all you get when you donate to charity is a little sticker to put on your lapel...

Also, there are some real benefits of getting handmade toys:

Personally, I like knowing that there is nothing toxic in my cats’ toys - I pre-wash the fabrics to remove manufacturer’s sizing or excess dye, and I only use organic catnip and non-toxic adhesive. Shop-bought cat toys are sometimes made from questionable materials (remember the story last year about cat toys being recalled from shops because of the possibility they might be made from real cat fur!), or fumigated with chemicals before import to the UK. And the catnip used could be full of pesticides. Not to mention that you can’t rule out poor working conditions or even child labour.

Of course I’m NOT saying that all commercially available cat toys are poisonous, made from fur by children in horrible cramped factories…   :rofl: But the thing is, you don’t know. Manufacturers of pet toys, as far as I know, don't really have to specify how their products are made, or what they're made from.

Anyway... Tan and I need your input. Should we have my little toys in the Purrs shop? Or is it just too expensive to produce handmade cat toys?

I have rambled on for too long now... I can't even remember what I've written so far... Hopefully you have enough info, though. Tan's boys are currently trying out some of my toys, so we'll have to wait and see what their verdict is. ;)

Love,
Alexandra, Poppy & Monkey

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat