Author Topic: Pickles - advice needed please!!  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Re: Pickles - advice needed please!!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 22:09:02 PM »
I was in contact with my local CP branch around the middle of May and they kindly agreed to put Pickles on their website - he is not up there as yet though, probably due to how busy they are  :(  Pickles has been with me for six months now and it is such a shame for him - he is a fab character but just not good with other cats.

I have had several offers of homes locally but they either had dogs/other cats/children and it would be irresponsible of me to let him go where he would either cause mayhem or be unhappy.  I have had his vaccs/microchip/dental done etc and have offered to cover all expenses if a foster home could be found (have also said this to CP) so I feel I am running out of options.

Sarah

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 17:10:32 PM »
I dont think so Milly but Tiggys idea is a good one.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 16:55:51 PM »
As far as I know CC only allow rescues to advertize on there.

They may make an exception for Pickles as if Rosie cant home him and he goes back to the other people they will probably have him pts.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 16:53:22 PM »
Maybe a rescue close to you could 'advertise' Pickles on CC's rehoming pages on your behalf?  I saw on another rescues' site they were advertising a pair of cats who were not in their care but found a good home through that rescues' particular site.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 16:48:57 PM »
As far as I know CC only allow rescues to advertize on there.

I cant remember if you have done it here before but try advertizing him on Purrs with his picture and the area you are in.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 16:34:00 PM »
If you PM Tan she may be able to get in contact with the peoples at Cat Chat. Is their email still down? It would be a good place to get him seen.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 13:43:23 PM »
Can anyone help with "advertising" this puss for rehoming please?  :Luv:

Thank you

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 15:20:43 PM »
Have just been on to Cat Chat but there are unable to accept emails from members of the public at the moment.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 15:09:00 PM »
No he wasn't a CP cat originally - his owner was a supporter of them though.

All local rescues are full but I do only want him to go somewhere where they will home check.

Will contact Cat Chat, thank you for that   :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 14:56:18 PM »
Have you tried all the rescues in your area?
Click your county on the map and they will all pop up  :wow:
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

The other idea is to contact Cat Chat and ask for him to be a top cat, your not a rescue but he is in need if the other people would have him pts.
Their homing pages are very successful.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 14:47:18 PM »
I always check the dates on everything.

Wasn't he a CP cat initially?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 14:38:32 PM »
Oooh what happened to that post?!!  :evillaugh:

Unfortunately Darcy is becoming extremely stressed by Pickles' presence to the point where I will soon have to refer back to his owner's Executors.   They are far from animal lovers so I am reluctant to do so.  They have already suggested PTS and I am very concerned what will happen to him.

I have been in touch with the local CP who are happy to help with advertising but they are full at present and have a waiting list.  He has been advertised in local vets since December.

I would be happy to cover Pickles' costs personally if a suitable foster home could be found for him - long term if necessary - but the present situation cannot continue indefinitely.   There are just so many furries looking for homes.

If anyone has any suggestions I wouild be grateful.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 17:12:46 PM »
Y

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 15:27:39 PM »
Have you tried putting ads in your local vets? Would a local rescue take your details and refer suitable people onto you? They may wish to use your services for other needy kitties  ;D

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 13:49:37 PM »
No I don't hate you Ela  :evillaugh: you have only said what I have been thinking.   There are some good points and I do agree with them.   I quarantined Pickles right away from my cats when he first arrived and he was checked by my vet, including testing for FIV and FeLV long before he met them - I know there is a risk he will pick something up from his outside jaunts and that is part of the reason I originally posted.

The relatives of Pickles' late owner had tried all local rescues who were unable to help which is why I took him.  I have been involved with rescue (bunnies not cats) for some years so I am happy home checking etc. and would provide back up for the rest of his life - just finding that perfect owner for him is proving a bit of a challenge!  He does not like dogs, probably better without other cats (although okay with my girls), likes fuss on his terms, quite tetchy at times...but can be very affectionate, is impeccably behaved at the vets, loves company and has so much character.  He cannot be rehomed with children, probably not visiting ones either.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:58:53 AM »
Personally, if your cats aren't 100% with the situation, i don't think it is fair on them to keep him, hence why I have kept so few fosters, mine haven't tolerated any of the others I have liked, and they do have to come first. It is hard having indoor and outdoor cats as well. Are you working with a local rescue to try and find a home for Pickles?
Please spay your cat

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »
Think Ela is right; he sounds like my old cat Maramalade who had the same tendencies as Pickles. The truth is that many cats need a 1-1 relationship and aren't happy with other cats and need "to be obeyed" Good Luck!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:43:36 AM »
You will probably hate me  ;D but here goes. Obviously you have fallen in love with Pickles, but please remember that there are many more little Pickles out there desperate for your help. If a cat did not fit in purrfectly with my home situation I personally would find it a home that is more suited to its hearts desire. One reason is that as he  loves to go out he can bring in a virus/disease that your cats would not otherwise  come into contact with.  Also my cats would need to be 100% comfortable with a newby.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 22:03:05 PM »
hello i have a 2yr old d/s cat that is allowed out as she hates staying in but she does not have a flap as she sed to fetch in live mice  :doh:
mango my 1 yr  indoor persian , who would love to go out but been a persian would get matted and cannot jump very easy and is quite slow in reactions and docile with no road sence

its not hard having  a indoor and outdoor cat but i do feel sorry for mango the persian she would love to have fresh air so we are getting anouther indoor cat around sept time and a cat run for the summer

good luck you can make it work if you have a little routeen and least your persians have indoor feline friends and pickles will have outdooro friends like moomin
or you could make him live indoors but if hes anything like moomin he will not stay in 

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Pickles - advice needed please!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 15:28:03 PM »
I have been fostering Pickles for almost 5 months now.  I have become very attached to him and after much thought decided that he should stay here -in practice though it is proving difficult and all my common sense is telling me that I should still look for a permanent home for him.

He is big cat and although he is lovely 95% of the time, he has a definite "he who must be obeyed" attitude and has no hesitation in nipping and swiping.  My cats were initially horrified at the sight of him but introductions were done very gradually - Feliway has also helped a great deal.  My Persian, Darcy, is not completely happy with the situation and follows Pickles constantly. 

Pickles previously had 24/7 access to a catflap in his previous home and clearly wanted to go out - about 2 weeks ago we had him microchipped and started to let him outside for short periods.   My three cats are indoor only and I worry constantly until Pickles comes back in.  He is only allowed out when I am home and obviously kept in at night.

I am now at the point where I have to make a decision - at the moment he is kept apart from my cats whilst I am in work but this cannot continue indefinitely.   As he is a bit "tetchy" he would need a very patient (and robust!) owner who may or may not come along.   Any thoughts would be very welcome as I am going round in circles. :(   

Dawn you have my permission to come and catnap - you know where I live  :evillaugh:

Sarah

Link to CatChat