Author Topic: Conjunctivitis in Rescue Cats  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Conjunctivitis in Rescue Cats
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 19:55:12 PM »

I've not heard of conjuctivitis treatment being a reason not to start vaccinating a kitten, but I'm not a vet.  I'd certainly want to find out why, particularly as your two are now six months old.
[/size]

That makes sense to me, cats/kittens should be in good health to be vaccinated, and a weepy eye could be cat flu or herpes, so I wouldn't want to be vaccinating with a weepy eye until it was clear.
Please spay your cat

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 16:12:09 PM »
the vet seemed a bit dismissive when I tried to raise my concerns

May be time to find a different vet?

I would stop using the cream once symptoms have stopped but re-start if weepiness and/or gunkiness returns.  I would also only treat the affected eye to avoid reinfecting the other one - don't know if you are using an applicator or a finger(!) but if you do need to treat both eyes they need to be cleaned in between applications.  If symptoms keep recurring then more investigations with the vet may be needed.

I've not heard of conjuctivitis treatment being a reason not to start vaccinating a kitten, but I'm not a vet.  I'd certainly want to find out why, particularly as your two are now six months old.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 12:35:41 PM »
I’ve had cats with conjunctivitis and it’s always cleared up quickly.  It can be stress related - one of mine used to get it whenever he was in a stressful situation such as in a cattery - but it may just be a one off so fingers crossed it will heal quickly.  My vets usually gave me some ointment without seeing him (he got very stressed going to the vet) as long as they’d seen him within the previous year.

Offline Foxylady

• Kitten
  • Slave to: jelly & Womble
Conjunctivitis in Rescue Cats
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 22:52:38 PM »

Hello All ,

I have just adopted 2 6 month old kittens they lived outside with the mum until they were 4 months old when they were caught and neutered and returned to the human who had been feeding them . He later gave them away to an unsuitable home and they were returned to the rescue and that is how I came to rehome them .

When I collected them the lady remarked to me that one of the kittens had started with a weepy eye to cut a long story short I have now had two trips to the vet ( which is very stressful as I have to take both ) The vet has checked the kitten out and given me cream which I am to put in both eyes .

I should add they are unvaccinated and the vet won't do it whilst one of them is recieving treatment . My query is I am now starting to wonder if it is due to cat flu or something similar( they have no symptoms of it now) and are otherwise fit and healthy . I know conjunctivits  is very common and it is by no means a bad case but does it take a longtime to clear up and should I keep treatment up even when all the symptoms have resolved ? any advice experience would be helpful as the vet seemed a bit dismissive when I tried to raise my concerns .

Thank you in advance .

Link to CatChat