Author Topic: Anybody else’s cat having Solensia injections for arthritis?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Anybody else’s cat having Solensia injections for arthritis?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 20:30:50 PM »
It has made such a big difference to Archie who is 17. He has arthritis and wobbly back legs.

It is obvious when he needs his next injection and thankfully the insurance are paying.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 12:38:14 PM »
I can definitely tell that the last one is wearing off a bit (he had it 8th December).  He is going on Thursday for the next one.  However, he’s still getting up on the worktops a lot just because he can and wants to (as opposed to jumping up somewhere for his food or because he wants a cuddle) so I think it’s still helping him.

Offline Foxylady

• Kitten
  • Slave to: jelly & Womble
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 19:11:01 PM »

Hello ,

We had our elderly cat on these it definitely made a difference to him and we could tell when he needed to get his next one we had to stop when he was diagnosed with cancer that had spread to his lungs we sadly had to have him pts but I am glad that the injections made his last few months more comfortable .

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 16:33:09 PM »
Susanne she isn't limping like she was so we are going to do 3 months and review

That sounds positive.  I was going to review the situation after 3 months and whilst I’m unsure of how much help it has been, there certainly have been no side effects so I will continue for a bit longer.  They only objective thing I can measure is that I definitely see him on the kitchen counters more, so it looks like he’s more willing to jump up onto things when he doesn’t need to.

Why do you post in a large font?

Hi papa cat.  We used to post in a larger font as one of our members - sadly no longer with us - had a visual impairment and couldn’t read the smaller font.  I don’t have a specific visual impairment but my eyes are a bit rubbish  :shify: and I am usually reading on my phone or ipad so find it difficult to read smaller font.  Therefore I’ve stuck with using a larger font.

Offline John63

• Kitten
    • https://annatube.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 07:23:48 AM »
Hello,

My friend's cat has also been on this treatment for a while and it seems to work.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 06:42:03 AM »
One particular previous member - and some of the current members - find a larger font easier to read.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 18:11:35 PM »
Susanne she isn't limping like she was so we are going to do 3 months and review
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline papa cat

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 17:55:44 PM »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »
Thanks.  I have heard of people giving the injection themselves but I doubt I’d be able to do it (hands are rubbish and have no-one to hold him still).  However Mosi isn’t too bad going to the vet - he screams blue murder when he’s first put into the carrier but then he settles and is fine on the way and when he gets there.  My vet is also only a few minutes away.  As long as petplan are happy to pay for them, it’s just as easy to take him.

Do you think its helpful, Liz?  I do find it hard to separate my expectations from observations and wonder whether I am just seeing what I want to see.  It does seem to be helping Mosi a bit though.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 16:39:49 PM »
Having had 6 diabetic cats we get a lot of injections to give at home and have Larrson Bengal on this, her second one is due next week and the vet is happy for me to have the injection to give her at home.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susan D

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harvey
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
You could save yourself the injection fee and the hassle of monthly trips to the vet by learning to inject him yourself. A lot of owners do this. My dad used to inject his diabetic cat with insulin twice daily for years. Get the vet or a vet nurse to show you how. They should be amenable to this.

Also, buying drugs yourself from an online pharmacy is usually cheaper that getting them from the vet. The vet can write you a prescription for a fee of about £10 and you can then get the drug from wherever is cheapest. I know you are covered by insurance but for anyone else reading, this might be an option if you want to save money.

I don’t know anything about solensia and have never heard of it but I know you can do injections yourself and don’t have to pay a vet to do them and that you don’t have to get all your drugs from the vet either.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Anybody else’s cat having Solensia injections for arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 07:54:51 AM »
Just wondering whether anyone else is trying Solensia for their cat?  I’d be interested in others’ experiences.  I’ve heard various things, and a few people report side effects, although it’s meant to be a treatment without side effects.

For those who don’t know, Solensia is a monthly injection of a monoclonal antibody to treat arthritis.  It works by reducing inflammation.  It’s an alternative to something like metacam which isn’t always recommended for older cats with kidney disease.  Mosi is 17 and has arthritis in his hips.  He’s had 3 injections now and I think they are helping him.  No side effects.  He never stopped jumping on to things or running around, but I think he’s more willing now to jump up and I see him on the kitchen worktops more often.  So we’ll keep on with them as long as they appear to be working and there are no problems.  Thankfully insurance will pay for them as they are expensive (I pay £107 per month for it which includes an injection fee).

Link to CatChat