Author Topic: Clippers  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: Clippers
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »
That's what I've been doing - I've just got their back paws to do now.  Can't believe how well behaved Ollie has been - this is definitely a lot less stressful for them than the vet doing it.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 15:54:00 PM »
I do a paw at a time for my cats that hate it, the ones that don't all in one go, I find with small human nail clippers they are hidden more in your hand which helps.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
I have proper clippers for doing the guinea pig's claws and they are a lot better for using on them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 20:44:07 PM »
Claw clippers are shaped so give a better cut imo, the ones on the zooplus link are v.similar to mine

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 18:51:31 PM »
Lol - that's what I've decided to do.  Managed to sneak up and do Harvey's other front paw today - just got the back ones to do but think they might actually be alright.   I also managed to sneak up on Ollie while he was sleeping and have done one of his front paws.  He was such a good little boy too - he got a lot of praise from me.   

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 16:04:18 PM »
I just use sturdy human nail clippers and sometimes just a claw at a time - usually with Edgar when he is on the radiator bed - I just sneek up - very bad of me lol!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
Well, I managed to do one of Harvey's paws last night before he wriggled away - think I'll do it in little stages.   Gonna try to do one of Ollie's today - that'll be an experience.  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
I use human nail clippers too, much easier than the scissor style 'proper' ones I bought years ago  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 20:06:37 PM »
When Ive used clippers Ive found them OK, too - just find the scissor things easier - perhaps as its a different grip?! :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 19:51:27 PM »
Oh, I never thought about using them.   I'll try them out first.  Harvey is going to be ok but Ollie attacks the vet so I have no idea how he is going to react to me doing it - I have been trying to play about with his paws so that he is used to be touching them so fingers crossed it goes ok.   :thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 19:02:04 PM »
Yep, thats what I use too, human toenail clippers, they are strong enough to do the job well and easy to use.  ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 18:26:15 PM »
I find that on my cats I find it easier to use small human nail clippers, doesn't seem to stress the cats out either.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 16:24:02 PM »
Glad to help! Funny - my other half says he once thought hed never be able to keep a cat in a flat ...I suppose its just a question of adapting.  When we did have guinea pigs, our cats then never seemed very interested and left them alone.  Not sure how the current two would behave .....  Chloe would probably sniff and then leave alone - I fear Mr T would want to play!!  Although he is 15, going on 16  he behaves like a daft kitten sometimes.....
People Power Works!!!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 16:12:22 PM »
Fab - thanks.

I live in a 2 bedroomed flat and have 2 guinea pigs and 2 cats.   All 4 get free run of the flat whenever I'm in - if I'm out the guinea pigs are locked in their cage.   The cats tend to leave them alone - although I would never go out and leave them all out, just in case.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 14:29:50 PM »
Zoo plus - I have a pair of the scissor-like ones.  I was shown years ago by our (then) vet how to trim claws.  The more confident I became, the less scratches.  Same principle as Guinea pigs (Ive used the clippers for piggies, too - although currently have none as daugher has grown up and moved on its a bit awkward keeping small "caged-for-safetys" in a flat .....) :)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/law_clippers
People Power Works!!!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Clippers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 13:55:46 PM »
Hiya. Can anyone recommend any good cat nail clippers?  I usually get the vet to do it but it's too expensive so thought I would give it a go - although Ollie will probably scratch me to pieces.  I cut the guinea pigs nails no problem and they have teeny feet.

Link to CatChat