Author Topic: Kitten Feeding Issues  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
Re: Kitten Feeding Issues
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 19:52:12 PM »
Will do!  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 19:26:20 PM »
100g wet food is approx equal to 20g dry food, so if you're feeding the equivilent to one pouch per day, for example, you'd need to give 20g less of the dry food.

:thanks:

God this forum is the Cats Whiskers, once again you've all helped me massively, thanks everyone

Payment in photos of mouse due in 5 working days  :rofl:

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 14:11:59 PM »
100g wet food is approx equal to 20g dry food, so if you're feeding the equivilent to one pouch per day, for example, you'd need to give 20g less of the dry food.

:thanks:

God this forum is the Cats Whiskers, once again you've all helped me massively, thanks everyone

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
what you can do is reduce slightly the dry feeding portion to allow for the extra he is getting in the wet food.  Keep an eye on his weight and if you feel he is putting on more than he should then reduce it.  Also remember that as kittens they do have a higher food intake due to the extra energy they use playing and growing.  This will reduce as they get older and ify ou follow the advice on the packet as well as judging for yourself his weight you will get there!  :)

Also, what we do is feed their wet meals twice daily and split their daily allowance of dry food to the same 2 meals a day.  If you are out through the day then it helps to stop boredom gorging and also gives a more balanced intake of food.  It is always best to serve it in 2 seperate bowls as wet food goes off if left and it will spoil any dry food if they are served together.

Try not to fret over it too much, you will get there :)

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »
Quantity varies so much between cats its hard to say, the bag will give you an idea but they do tend to be on the generous side

The bag for bozita dry only lists the amount for complete dry feeding.
And the wet cartons have lots written on them but it's all in sweedish  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
I free feed mine dry food,  but they have wet food at certain times,   the only reason I free feed with the dry food is that I have ten cats and it is rare to get them all about at the same time for food,  if I had one or two cats I wouldnt free feed  :)

My lot quickly trained themselves to be here and their timing is impeccable  :Luv2: im 2 behind you at the moment  :evillaugh:

Also can anyone give me an idea of how much food per day at this age he weighs 1.5k at the moment?
Should I mix the biscuits with the wet or offer them separately?

I dont mix biscuits in the wet they have them alongside, the reason for this is they all eat differently! Some eat bix first then wet, some wet then bix and simon just eats whatever his mouth gets to first  :evillaugh:

Quantity varies so much between cats its hard to say, the bag will give you an idea but they do tend to be on the generous side

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:35 AM »
Mouse is 12 weeks this weekend.
I am a housewife and am always at home, I can always put food down if I am out for a long time at the weekends or something!

Also can anyone give me an idea of how much food per day at this age he weighs 1.5k at the moment?
Should I mix the biscuits with the wet or offer them separately?

Thanks everyone

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:23:47 AM »
I free feed mine dry food,  but they have wet food at certain times,   the only reason I free feed with the dry food is that I have ten cats and it is rare to get them all about at the same time for food,  if I had one or two cats I wouldnt free feed  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
Should I leave biscuits down all day or give him them with his wet at set times?

You will find split opinions here  :evillaugh: i dont free feed and dont think its an ideal way but if people work long hours then the cat needs to eat.
If your at home enough id go for feeding set meal times rather than snacking but thats just my opinion.
How old is Mouse?

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:59:48 AM »
Personally speaking I would say avoid food in gravy anyways. Whilst some cats will eat it and be OK others eat it and it upsets their tum awfully.

My advice to you would be stop changing the food.  Pick a food and stick to it.  If you put out a small amount of food.... leave it there til the next meal and put down a little fresh food so its not going off.  You will find that kitten will discover that you aren't going to be a complete walk over and change the food constantly for them and they need to eat what they are given or starve!  which they never do.

Battle of wills, you just have to make sure you win!  ;) 

Depending on age of the kitten we sometimes find that the whiskas kitten loaf is a good option as you can add water to change its consistency.

Stick with it and things will come good but if you change too much now you will end up with a mega fussy cat that is a nightmare to feed.

Good luck!  :hug:

Thanks for the advice, I was actually worried that he would starve himself which is why I kept changing.  :rofl:
I didn't realise a kitten would try it on like a toddler.
I will stick with the one food now then! What a cheeky monkey!
Funnily enough as he turned his nose up at the food this morning I picked up his wet and his biscuits, and just put them back down again and he ate the lot!!!!
Should I leave biscuits down all day or give him them with his wet at set times?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
Personally speaking I would say avoid food in gravy anyways. Whilst some cats will eat it and be OK others eat it and it upsets their tum awfully.

My advice to you would be stop changing the food.  Pick a food and stick to it.  If you put out a small amount of food.... leave it there til the next meal and put down a little fresh food so its not going off.  You will find that kitten will discover that you aren't going to be a complete walk over and change the food constantly for them and they need to eat what they are given or starve!  which they never do.

Battle of wills, you just have to make sure you win!  ;) 

Depending on age of the kitten we sometimes find that the whiskas kitten loaf is a good option as you can add water to change its consistency.

Stick with it and things will come good but if you change too much now you will end up with a mega fussy cat that is a nightmare to feed.

Good luck!  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
Cant help you with the food situation as mine are so fussy it is untrue,  we have TechniCal Dry food and Felix wet food and I darent change it or all hell breaks loose.

The water thing is common though,  I would say that 5 out of my lot do that with the water,   sometimes they even get so carried away they turn the bowl upside down and cause a flood !

Offline Chook

• Adult Cat
Kitten Feeding Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »
When we got mouse he was being fed whiskas kitten dry and pouches, so I bought all of the different variety boxes and tried them.
He wouldn't touch anything in gravy.
He would only eat the jelly of of any meat and jelly ones.
He did eat the fish ones but over the last week didn't.
So I bought some Bozita from zooplus crayfish, haddock and perch. He wolfed down the bozita biscuits and only ate the jelly from the food.
So I decided to mush it up some more with a fork and it's a little bit better, but he's still not loving it.
I have tried a few other foods too but no joy!
He also does this weird floor scratching thing around his bowl whenever I put the bowl down, and wherever I put it he does it.
Do you think he maybe doesn't like his bowl?
Any tips?
TIA Clare x

Link to CatChat