Author Topic: Sainsburys's Pet Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Sainsburys's Pet Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 23:19:48 PM »

Also I have two brothers - do I need to insure both of them - or could I only insure the second cat if I need to claim for the first cat - the theory being whichever cat needs treatment first gets to use the policy - can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Lorna x

A policy is for a specific named cat so you couldn't use it for the other one if he needed treatment.

Although it seems like a good deal (financially) I would say it's important to look at the policy details and the reputation of the company.  It isn't always easy to shop around when a policy is up for renewal as if you have claimed, that condition will be excluded by any other insurer.  So it's best to go for an insurer you would be happy to stop with for the duration of the cat's life.  If when the policy is up for renewal and you haven't put in a claim (or your cat hasn't had any illness - remember that even if you haven't claimed any record with your vet of a particular problem will make it an excluded condition) then you can shop around and change insurers if you wish, but I wouldnt rely on being able to do that.

I would always go for amount per year rather than condition.  Make sure it is lifetime cover too (so that they don't stop covering a particular condition that your cat may develop and they don't stop covering them at a certain age) and think carefully about the amount you may need - vet treatment can very easily run into thousands and whilst it's tempting to think that it's unlikely a young cat would need several thousand pounds worth of treatment, it may be easier to pay a little more each month to cover the eventuality.

What was the company that recently stopped selling pet insurance leaving a lot of people in the lurch?  I think it's best to stick to companies that have been in the market for a long time and have a good reputation.  I believe Axa and petplan to be amongst the best.  Incidentally, in response to cazzer - when I was with petplan I put in 2 claims and both were dealt with very quickly.

In short, try to think long term rather than short term and don't be lured into taking out a policy by introductory offers even though they are tempting.   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 17:49:21 PM »
Please remember that if an MRI is needed this will be about £4000 plus the rest of the bill and have you taken into account the excess

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 15:19:13 PM »
I have just had confirmation that the cashback also applies to second policies plus an additional 5% discount for multiple policies!  ;D
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 13:49:36 PM »
my Sainsburys is per condition per year as well
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:22:08 AM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Sainsburys's Pet Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 13:38:25 PM »
The only thing I would be worried about with young cats is the 'per condition' aspect as the 7k would then have to last their whole life - vets fees are so expensive nowadays I don't think the 7k would stretch over 15-20 years. Axa is 7k per year so each and every year you get 7k to spend on vets bills but if they had more than one condition the 7k would need to cover them both.

That said if they are young and healthy you may as well go for the cashback (I love Quidco!) and as long as you haven't claimed for anything other than accidental stuff eg abcess etc then there's nothing to stop you shopping around and switching insurers.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Thanks,

I have had a look at the AXA policy, which appears very good value for money without taking the cashback into account, and their cover seems comparable with the HIGHER LEVEL Sainsbury's cover.

Sainsbury's Lower level cover is £3000 per condition (12 month limit) and would work out at £16.88 for the year with the cashback taken off, the higher level one is  £7000 per condition and is £49.63 after deducting the cashback.

M&S offer £4000 cover at £89.64 but it's only £35 cashback through Quidco working out at £54.64 for the year.

I suspect I would only get cashback for one policy so I will need to look into this, an option would be to insure the two boys with different insurers.

Any thoughts on the level of cover needed for two boys living in a quiet cul de sac?

Lorna x
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:29:49 AM by lornab »

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Re: Sainsburys's Pett Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
Ginger is insured with them.      Find them excellent to be honest.     They pay out quicker than petplan and have never had any quible from them.      I think they are underwritten by AXA.

I think you would have to insured both!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Sainsburys's Pett Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 00:56:34 AM »
I would do an online quote with AXA and compare the small print.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
Sainsburys's Pet Insurance with £60 Quidco Cashback
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 00:50:37 AM »
Hi All,
I discovered Quidco are offering £60 cashback for sainsburys pet insurance policys, so as I have finally persuaded the OH to let us keep the boys I thought I would do a qoute online - the cheapest policy came out at £76 and the dearer version at £109, and with £60 cashback that sounds like a bargain.
So does anyone know if Sainsburys are any good for insurance? - I have never insured a pet before so have no experience.
Also I have two brothers - do I need to insure both of them - or could I only insure the second cat if I need to claim for the first cat - the theory being whichever cat needs treatment first gets to use the policy - can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Lorna x
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:11:07 AM by lornab »

Link to CatChat