Author Topic: Pedigrees welcome moggies well who cares.  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Pedigrees welcome moggies well who cares.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 14:14:42 PM »
At the end of the day Is there anyone here who would leave a cat to suffer on their own doorstep because they were the wrong breed or colour? this is what it boils down.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 14:06:26 PM »
Angie, you mean Nickys two? A lot of the time there are genuine reasons for Nicky having transport runs; she worries nervous cats need to build up trust with a new carer so the sooner a permanent home is found the better. And as with Lilly Pumpkin, with her being such a special needs cat it was unlikely a home would be found closer that had the knowledge and experience to care for her.

I do agree that offering a rescue place purely because a cat is pedigree is a little elitist though, and if that's what a rescue wants to do maybe it should become a pedigree rescue.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 13:05:21 PM »
That is acceptable in my book though Angie, as they were nervous and hard to home, not someone who has gone looking on freeads for a pedigree and then wanting a transport run.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 13:01:14 PM »
i appreciate that and thought it last year while delivering some cats to Northampton.

They were two nervous hard to home cats and here i sit with six such beautiful creatures probably sleeping on my bed at this very moment.

but at the end of the day, it was 2 less in rescue - even if not my rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
I think the point of the thread was that rescues are deliberately taking in cats out of area to the detriment of cats in their area - and that isn't what rescue is about. Quite a lot of the rescues round here wont take in elderly cats, for various reasons, which upsets me as that is my passion, but at least they are helping some cats, and you could argue they ultimately help more cats, as they end up with a quick turnaround due to only having young, healthy cats. But that doesn't help the poor oldies who get overlooked.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
Anyone who does something to help is welcome in my book!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
Yes, we know about the long established rescue in Canterbury run by little old ladies who are happy to deal with kittens but wouldn't entertain an old bruiser with issues.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 12:22:08 PM »
I can see both sides here.  :innocent:

What gets me is that we know other rescues in our area 'cherry pick' which cats they will take on and sit back with a smile knowing we will take on their rejects. The trouble is that ALL these cats need help so if you pick and choose the easiest and most attractive to rehome that leaves other rescues bogged down with difficult cases which block pens and fosterers. We are always seizing up with sickly cats who require long term care to get them fit for rehoming. Or fiesty ones who require long term rehab. Or the oldies.  :tired:

But hey-ho! They all need us and so long as they get help that's all that matters.  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 18:16:36 PM »
Agree with Sarah on this but sadly when an animal is in need doesn't matter if it comes with a pedigree as long as your arm or one of dubious parents - here it doesn't matter except they will be loved and wanted and where possible homed to other slaves of the same ilk

I wouldn't have my raggie under normal circumstance but she had so many issues she fitted in here just fine!

On another note though both my doggies are pedigrees - I just love my Border collies :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 18:02:44 PM »
isn't the whole point that its not about the cats but in fact the view of those who run rescue's.  :tired:

This is only 1 instance of areas that many rescue's of all sizes throughout the country 'select' what they will and won't deal with and to be honest we just have to accept that that is the way that they operate.  They are not going to change and I for one would rather direct my energies into concentrating on what we can do rather than what they won't!  :hug:

Quite agree Sarah, thats why I am always so full of beautiful moggies and like you rescue regardless of colour or breed.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 17:57:33 PM »
isn't the whole point that its not about the cats but in fact the view of those who run rescue's.  :tired:

This is only 1 instance of areas that many rescue's of all sizes throughout the country 'select' what they will and won't deal with and to be honest we just have to accept that that is the way that they operate.  They are not going to change and I for one would rather direct my energies into concentrating on what we can do rather than what they won't!  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »
Another Devil's advocate comment here. There are plenty of ped rescues but if a rescue started and said "Moggies only", there would be an outcry.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
I actually think that the fact more people are turning to rescues for peds is a good thing, yes they can have their heart set on a certain type of cat and could just as easily go out and buy one if they were that set in their ways of getting a certain type of cat.

I dont believe its right to segregate a cat because of it's breed, a cat in need is a cat in need after all  :shy:

I also think its good to be able to move a cat to another area if a home is there for it, who knows how long it could be waiting if it's only homed to surrounding areas? It seems a good way to home if a home is waiting for the cat  :) This goes for peds and moggies for me  :)

Ultimately I think a cat in the surrounding area should be delt with first  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
Sorry to say this and I may seem like the devil's advocate but imho a homeless cat is a homeless cat. I have a friend who I know would give a really special home to a BSH. I haven't posted this yet because I feel like I'll be seen as picky and why can't I home a moggy to her?

Thing is not everyone who wants a cat works in rescue and I don't blame her for wanting a bsh. I'm not going to attempt to home anything else to her so when the time comes and that BSH has its new home there's one less cat in rescue.

Sometimes I think we see thing a bit differently when we're so involved and I'm the guilty of the same. Month in month out we have the angry bity cat that no one wants. It's so sad but it's just the way it is unfortunately.

If the aforementioned ped has found a home that needs transport then there's one new vacant rescue space and who says it won't go to a moggy?

Just my opinion 's all  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
OIC  :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:34:00 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »
I think the issue Teresa is talking about is different to that Mark its more a case of seeing pedigrees needing homes and taking them via long journeys but not offering help when moggies are advertised needing homes down the road, in defence I did think that the rescue was a ped rescue although I could be wrong

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
I see what you mean, although a decision was made at our branch recently to bump a cat up the list due to the fact that she was long haired and not coping well outside due to her fur being very matted. I suppose that isn't so much about being pedigree but more to do with needs. The only times I would  help with transport would be to get a cat out of danger or if it had little or no hope of being rehomed locally. In a lot of cases, I can't understand why cats need to be transported for hundreds of miles when there are always local cats that need homing in any area.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:54:02 AM by Mark »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Mark my point is some rescues are choosing to take in pedigrees despite moggies being more urgent and more local to them. I am not talking of pedigree specific rescues I am talking of people who are Rescue like you or me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
There does seem to be an increasing number of pedigrees up for homing which weakens the argument for pedigree breeding. The thing is, poor old moggies don't have a chance when people can get designer cats for nothing. There aren't many people who take a cat on based on which cat needs a home the most - Most choose a cat for purely selfish reasons. We get them asking for Siamese, Persians etc. The man that runs Rhodes Minnis cat sanctuary said a similar thing to me in the summer.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 19:50:27 PM »
Ahhh. :) They aren't both in the same town, so it's probably not them.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 19:47:48 PM »
JS I am not sure who the 2 cats are,there are so many all over rescue/rehoming which is just a huge jumble ,so I`m not looking for them again. It was the name of the town which jumped out at me.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 19:37:22 PM »
I did wonder about the transport runs, but then I do have issues with transporting cats round the country unless there is a very good reason for it, most areas have more than enough cats in a rescue without travelling hundreds of miles for one.
Please spay your cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 19:34:24 PM »
I am the proud owner of 4 pedigree Bengals and 2 gorgeous moggies but I totally agree with you Teresa - I would guess that it is a money thing because some rescues charge more for the pedigrees than the moggies, there should not be any discrimination and I think that all furbabies needing new homes should be treated the same.

I so wish I was rich and could help some of these poor cats.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 19:28:54 PM »
I'm guessing you mean Louie and Purrlishious boy, Toby....they're "midlands" area. I think both are gorgeous, but I can't afford any more cats. I dearly wish I could.

(Not to mention, Louie's nervous and Toby's bossy, so we'd either have two cats darting to get out of the way of Darwin or two cats trying to everyone about.... ;) Multicat households; they're a delicate balance.  :))

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 19:09:19 PM »
Its not the fact they are in rescue, its the fact that poor moggies are being declined help in certain places so pedigrees can be brought in from elsewhere. I notice we have at least 2 other black moggies appealing for help in this particular area and elsewhere on forum a transport appeal to import pedigree to this area crazy and unfair.

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 19:04:41 PM »
I have noticed lots of pedigrees in rescue lately. I popped along to our local rescues open day (bad idea, its horrible not being able to bring them all home) they had 2 ragdolls and a bengal first time i have ever seen pedigrees there before x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 19:03:40 PM »
I understand completely what you're saying, Teresa. And I for one am glad that Paws Inn stepped in and took Chico and Pepsi - they're thriving in your care. :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
Pedigrees welcome moggies well who cares.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 18:34:33 PM »
Just want to say that I have been really upset to see pedigree cats taking up rescue spaces lately; no I have nothing against pedigrees all animals needing help should receive it.

Recently black moggie and sick kitten in certain area, they were desperate for help, but the only offer came from almost 90miles away. Old cat in same area ended up at RSPCA no other offers of help from the local rescue. So how the heck does the rescue on the doorstep of these poor desperate moggies have the space to offer to take in pedigree cats from miles out of their area. >:(
This post is not intended to cause trouble, however someone has to speak up for these poor cats.

Link to CatChat