Author Topic: Cats needing homes /homes offered child boards - what do you think? POLL  (Read 9620 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: Cats needing homes /homes offered child boards - what do you think? POLL
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 20:38:32 PM »
I will be PMing nearly everyone thats posted on these boards, especially interested in some of the older posts - be nice to find out if come of the cats were homed in some of the older posts thats are still on the board from members especially that dont post too much.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 17:43:08 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just seen that some did that lol..........sigh

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 17:42:16 PM »
I just had a thought, staggering I know  :rofl: :rofl:

Would it be a good idea to have a child board for the cats that are rehomed or fostered, you know the SORTED ones, that the moddy bods or Mrs R can move these from the still outstanding cases and make the list shorter rather than waiting for them to slip to the bottom, which doesnt happen if someone posts , a well done or something?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 14:54:45 PM »
Thanks Angie hun Sharon's idea :)
We also have Mrs R on board to keep the sections tip top condition  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 20:10:20 PM »
Well done whoever spent the time to put a sorted board in the homes wanted section! It makes the outstanding posts so much easier to follow and i can confirm that Blackie and GK are still in need of a new home and living in a cattery!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Yes I think so Helen  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Well, the poll is 50/50!

Is the general consensus that moddy bods need to tighten up on moving posts in this section so that all posts regarding homes needed/offered are in the child boards instead of them being randomly mixed between the main rescue/rehoming threads and the child boards?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
And if the locations were somewhere in the thread, cos I was doing this but I pmed people to ask locations and they just dont bother replying!

Thats pretty pointless then!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
And if the locations were somewhere in the thread, cos I was doing this but I pmed people to ask locations and they just dont bother replying!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
To be honest I don't think any of us would mind doing that MM if it meant that the threads are easier to find.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Maybe the main board should be for discussing cases and the child boards strictly for homes offered of wanted. The way it is at the moment, people are posting on one or the other.

Moddy bods would need to keep up with moving posts if the child boards are kept. They could also edit the titles to add in locations etc to please the haters of vague titles

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I dont look at individual sections unless I am hunting for something, so see stuff via the unread posts list irrespective of category.

I think the child boards are a good idea and to have all cats needing homes or peeps wnating cats in one long list makes for hard reading. so go with child boards, I think.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
I think we really do need to distinguish between cats that are in rescues looking for homes (and to some extent this is what I though CC was all about) and cats that need to be helped into a rescue/temp home.

FTGH cats , as already said by someone, mainly have homes already and unless the circumstances are unusual (as in the brum pair, or a pregnant cat and/or young kittens) are not really a priority.

I agree that it is nice to follow the progress on some of the cats/kittens in rescue, and would certainly miss this if it were to go.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
This is great to discuss as is the free to good home adverts on the other thread. 
I see it as both having advantages and disadvantages.
main ones are that having sep boards are good as there is one place to put the homing requests and the homes offered so people looking can go straight there instead of wading through  the main one also that if our rescue feel pressured, all these posts are in a sep section so up to them if they want to head in there.  The disadvantage as Helen says is that the child boards are an extra click away and can be missed.

If we went back to one main board for all which can be easily done, it would mean the posts are seen better but could also disappear on to the 2nd or 3rd pages if alot of posts are made which means another click away to be seen anyway.

I am happy to do which ever you all feel best for you all rescues and members. (aint i always  :evillaugh: ;) lol)  so we need to find a compremise we Can all be happy with.
One suggestion is to have a sep board away from the main rehoming board for the cats needing homes and homes offered which can be done easy but then in that board to separate the cats needing homes and homes offered they would be in two child boards unless we have two additional sep boards.

I think with the free ads posts, there was a conclusion to put these in a sep place with a guide saying to post after the ad poster has been contacted and advised of rescues in their area. This is so the ones that do get posted, we can be sure that the advertiser is caring enough to be interested in a chance of using rescue and not just wanting to advertise local.

We need to continue discussing both the free ad adverts and this so we can find a soluition for the rescue and rehoming section we are all ok with.

My feelings are that ChatCat is our main source of "promoting" the cats that need homes as that is what CC is there for but Purrs is also is great for highlighting the long term, special, emergency cats and does have a hand in matching cats with members posting to give a loving home. So i would like that to continue.

Keep ya ideas and thought coming and i will be happy to go with whatever is best for all.  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Tricky one - I tend to post my fosters on R & R, not from the rehoming aspect, as there aren't many members in my area on here, so dont think I have homed one through here (yet), although I have homed one through another forum, but I think it is nice for people to see them and follow stories. We have gained a fosterer through here though. I have put out the odd plea, but there has never been any response. I did go to update one of my pleas yesterday though, and i had to do three searches to find it, so no one else would have seen it!! I did put Moses on here yesterday specifically, but she has been waiting 6months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
quite often someone from Purrs, rescue or not, is able to help and that can only be a good thing for the cats involved  :shy: 

Fatipuss is a good example of this - although at the same time I can see why it puts more pressure on rescues.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
The very fact that our branch has rehomed a few cats through the rehoming section on Purrs shows it works. I generally only put on the rehoming child board the difficult ones that need an extra push. Melissa, ginger kittens Kirsty now has and several FIV cats that have been rehomed via branch contacts. Of course i use Catchat and of course we have our own website, but every bit of coverage makes a difference. I tend only to highlight the emergency cases that our branch get called to help with or i know about and although as i have mentioned before there isnt too many SE people on Purrs, we have and do try out best.. The FIV puss that Michelle took to Foal Farm being a prime example (Paddy i think)...

I am just worried that anyone new coming on here looking for a puss cat will get lost on the main rehoming section, i know i do.. And in one day there are so many posts its envitable to happen... If peeps subject postings where clearer it woulld help...

Anyhow.. Purrs works for me.. and Canterbury Cats does indeed benefit. I dont have time to join every Forum going, i make a note to look at Catchat, but do think that Purrs has particular found its niche. They both seek to furfill a purpose.. I for one tell other CP branches to join up because of the networkig which in CP terms is something we are now encouraged to do alot more..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Purrs came about because of Cat Chat who do have rehoming pages for rescues, but we have also evolved so to say that rescues shouldn't post 'cats needing homes' goes against what I think Purrs is trying to achieve - ie helping as many needy cats as possible.  I love the chit chat aspect of the rescue side of things and it's lovely to see the change in the cats/kittens that are rescued and eventually hear that they have found a perfect home - am thinking Diablo and his brothers and sisters as a prime example - chit chat isn't a derogatory term!  :)

My personal take on the freeads posts is that it does put extra pressure on rescues who, lets face it, are full to bursting with people coming to them let alone going looking for cats to help but... quite often someone from Purrs, rescue or not, is able to help and that can only be a good thing for the cats involved  :shy: 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
I dont look in freeads, but i see no harm if some one post them here, after all purrs is here to help cats and i understand that it might put pressure on some rescues here but at the same time it gives a needy cat a chance and some one might be able to help , rescue or none rescue member.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I think any cat needing a home is potentially an emergency as one way or another it is being made homeless and better that it has a chance of being homed by a cat lover than going from the frying pan into the fire via freeads. A cat is a cat regardless of who is advertising it. I think the boards act as a kind of filter against unscrupulous people.

Maybe the main board should be for discussing cases and the child boards strictly for homes offered of wanted. The way it is at the moment, people are posting on one or the other.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I think the child boards work ok, particularly for people who are looking to take on a cat. I'm not sure about only posting emergency cases on here, sometimes those that are harder to home, such as FIV cats benefit from being flagged up in as many places as possible. We do have our cat chat page but I would like to be able to draw people's attention to any which may not be emergencies but are special cases or long stays.

I agree Ann, there's no harm in trying to highlight certain cats for rehoming and someone may notice them on here and not on your CC page  :hug:

I don't think its just about the rescues, as important as each of you are,

Also agree, the forum is for everyone to enjoy and should remain so  :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
I actually like the child boards. I think its easier for people who are visiting who might have had the site recommended elsewhere to find what they are looking for: searching for a cat, posting to rehome a cat.  I don't think its just about the rescues, as important as each of you are, an organised board makes it easier but then I'm a bit pedantic about keeping things orderly so they are easy to find.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
I think the child boards work ok, particularly for people who are looking to take on a cat. I'm not sure about only posting emergency cases on here, sometimes those that are harder to home, such as FIV cats benefit from being flagged up in as many places as possible. We do have our cat chat page but I would like to be able to draw people's attention to any which may not be emergencies but are special cases or long stays.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I don't specifically look on the rehoming section, I usually come across the post when I'm looking at the recent threads so I don't mind either way.  I know Purrs is predominantly a rescue forum but it's also for everyone not just rescues, so I'm prepared to go with the flow and would be happy either way on any decision that's made.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
I truly feel we have got lost in a sea of often unnecessary advertisements; many come from posters who use Purrs as an advertising ground and do little to add to the community of Purrs.
Catchat provides free re-homing pages for rescues so why is it necessary for a rescue to do post after post of cats needing homes on here?
Is every advertiser on Freeads /Gumtree an idiot that needs their ad posting here? I agree there are extreme dangers of advertising kittens/cats on these sites but surely the people who have the time to look for these ads also have the time to contact the nearest rescue and email the advertiser?

I honestly dislike these ads on Purrs and feel only GENUINE EMERGENCIES should be posted that way they would be spotted quickly and acted upon. I for one will now only respond to a genuine emergency.

Please don't anyone tell me that they are all genuine emergencies, they are not. I am happy for anyone to visit Paws Inn and see first hand what genuine emergencies really are.

Chit/Chat - Surely this is community spirit,this was what Purrs WAS all about COMMUNITY; indirectly posting tales like Diablo and Tinkle give people a better understanding of what goes on in the world of rescue and the hardships that can be faced day after day; people in turn can respond by adding messages of support ,rescue can be lonely work and certainly the Purrs messages of support have carried me through recent weeks. I also feel if a rescue story is posted it is only fair that the rescuer tries to follow through to show the end result. So Chit/Chat I think is Great, I just wouldn't call it Chit/Chat.

Maybe there should have been a third option on the Poll - To ban all non emergency ads.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
I'm not sure as the child boards do get ignored but if it was one boards, it would strictly have to be about the cats with no chitchat otherwise the important posts would get lost.

I see where you're coming from but the thing is a lot of people get drawn in by the chit chat and as a result see the posts and might be able to help in some way.  I do agree with Sharon also that it's a high volume board so the threads might get lost' so I'm really not sure what the solution is  :shy: I'm just worried that as it stands the posts on the child boards aren't getting enough airtime and as a result cats that someone might be able to help are being missed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
What about spliting the rescue & rehoming section into 2 boards...
Having 2 different boards would allow the chit chat/rescue cases such as diablo and tinkle to continue and they should get noticed more than the child boards?  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I'm not sure as the child boards do get ignored but if it was one boards, it would strictly have to be about the cats with no chitchat otherwise the important posts would get lost.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Just want to say here that i realise that many people forget to see the section, think how lost they would be in just one day of postings on the rehoming page.! There are so many messags on the rehoming page that even if one cat was posted a few days ago to find a home it would be on the rehoming page 3 or more by now and hence hardly ever seen, as not sure about anyone else but i hardly go back a few pages on this section...

I realise that people have different views etc and good that the poll has started, but just to one to one section for me at least is easier, then going through 4 or more pages of past "avaiable for homing" pages on the rescue thread... Baring in mind that many cats to a while to rehome unless they were bumped to the top all the time they would i feel get lost.

Anyhow just my thoughts!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
I agree with Helen, i think not every one checks the child boards .

Voted. ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Just bumping this up a bit - it's now a poll so would be good to hear what others think about it...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Re: Cats needing homes /homes offered child boards - what do you think?
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 21:39:49 PM »
At the end of the day it's Tan's decision but I'll make this into a poll so we can get an idea of what the majority of members would prefer and then Tan can make a decision from there.

The options are:

Leave it as it is with separate child boards

Change it back to all posts on Rescue & Rehoming - (titles would have to be monitored and amended by Mods as necessary)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 21:29:37 PM »
Have to agree with you there, Helen.  :shy:

I also agree.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 20:59:57 PM »
I prefered it the way it was, it got changed very quickly

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
Sorry to go off the subject but regards Angie,
   OH YES SHE IS!
:P

I don't care - going to visit her later on today (she's gone to the house that backs on to mine, the lady used to run the cattery at the dogs trust before it became the dogs trust)

can't all be mad cat woman like you Jill! :P

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
i dont think of checking those boards very often, although I should do, seeing as poor Moses has been waiting 6 months for a home.
Please spay your cat

Offline JillE

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 01:02:50 AM »
Sorry to go off the subject but regards Angie,
   OH YES SHE IS!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 22:20:32 PM »
 :grouphug: for Angie.  :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 22:14:38 PM »
child board for those sites then STARTING WITH LOCATION!!!!!!

Link to CatChat