Author Topic: Is this a really bad idea?!  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Is this a really bad idea?!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
Good luck Sheryl, and it is worth contacting small rescues too, as some of those tend to get overlooked.
Please spay your cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 21:12:34 PM »
Fingers and toes crossed that lots of rehoming happens at the weekend.  :Luv2:

I will make a few phone calls at the weekend.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 20:32:44 PM »
Hey,

Well there's this list here http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lincs.html and i'd just give CP head office a call on 08702 099 099 and see if they know of branches needing help.

There looks like there's lots of other charities as well so fingers crossed! I've just had a loooong chat with my welfare officer and even though we have 2 litters of kittens and one adult at the vets and no room, it wouldn't be fair for me to take them as Katie would be disrupted and i'm sure that we'll sort something and if we end up re-homing over the weekend it should be ok  ;)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 19:49:54 PM »
We are near Grantham in Lincolnshire.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 18:42:43 PM »
Oh yes, we're always looking for new fosterers (especially at this time of year!)

Where abouts are you Sheryl?
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 18:31:42 PM »
If you look on catchat you will find a list of rescues to choose from, some one man bands and some bigger  ;D

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 18:28:21 PM »
We havn't got any fostering needs as yet, its something we have talked about for a while.  I suppose the next step will be to give our local CP a call?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 18:11:12 PM »
Thanks so much hun, but I think you should keep the pen for your own fostering needs!

I'm going to have another chat with my Welfare Officer and see whether we've sorted anything for these to yet xxx

PS: Is it really sad that i've already named them Buffy and Willow if they come to me?!! lol

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 17:35:43 PM »
If you are anywhere near Lincs we have got a large cat run with sleeping section etc that they could stay in ? We are seriously thinking of starting to foster.

Yay!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »
If you are anywhere near Lincs we have got a large cat run with sleeping section etc that they could stay in ? We are seriously thinking of starting to foster.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 22:06:14 PM »
Oh bless you! It's ok, as like I said they'll find a place somewhere. We don't tend to transport our cats around too much (just because I don't deal with that side of it!) but I think we should be a bit more open about transporting to other rescues that aren't CP branches (blooming "guidelines"!!!!!)

I'm sure any local rescues will be really glad of the offer though!!!!!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 21:55:18 PM »
If you can arrange transport they are welcome here as long as we can keep advertising a home for them, mind, I suspect Chatham is a long way from where you are. I have a spare room and all the needfuls, and a cat-friendly dog they can be introduced to....

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 21:51:06 PM »
Yes I think I already knew the answer  :tired: It's just that I always feel kind of bad that I only have one cat when our fosterers seem to be crammed with them. I do sometimes wish that Katie was a bit more tolerant and she seems to love dogs, but I know that I would be asking a lot for her to be OK with it, especially as she's not really an outdoor cat and spends a lot of time in the flat.....

I know that we'll sort something out (we always do), but there's no real re-homings on the horizon so think we (like everyone else) will have to start saying no more  :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 21:43:14 PM »
If Katie has a history of being stressed by changes in her environment, including the presence of new cats, then yes, I think you are stretching the friendship there. A cat with that sort of background will be stressed even if they are on the other side of a door she is used to being able to go through as kittens make noises (more than adult cats) and also their poo can be quite pungent  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Is this a really bad idea?!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 21:39:27 PM »
Ok so I normally don't foster as I only have a one bed flat and my cat Katie really hates all other cats! She came to me as a soiling cat as her previous owners got a couple of kittens, had kids and moved and Katie pretty much went loopy x

Buuuut.... we're full to the brim and had 2 kittens brought to the vets which had been dumped by a canal. They're around 12 weeks old and are both brindle torties, one long haired, one short haired and I have such a soft spot for torties  :doh: They're at the vets at the moment and we literally have no space at all, we already have kittens and cats in every space (and more!)

Do I take them in???!!! They're too big to be kept in a kittening pen but could be kept in my room, but my first priority has to be Katie cos when I took her in a promised that she would always come first and i'd never want to upset her... it would be worth a try, but if it didn't work, they couldn't be taken away immediately as we have no space!!!!!!! GRRRR!

There is also the fact that the only time i've looked after kittens, I was really quite allergic to them - can you be more allergic to kittens than cats?

Sorry for rambling, but I just feel so helpless, but don't want to upset Katie, but then they're so lovely  :( :( :(

Any advice would be really appriciated!

Link to CatChat