Author Topic: Introducing Abe - due to be PTS (twice!) and now up for re-homing!!!!!!!  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
What's official CP guidelines about the neutering of strays?

I can see the criminal damage thing when it comes to cats involved in a breeding programme, but this a moggy. In the light of the new Animals Act, surely you can say the neutering is in the cat's best interest and are only acting within the law?  :-:

I do recall that last year, we picked up a stray full tom and the vet was about to neuter when a chip was discovered. He was handed back and I think they neutered him themselves.  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think people should still have a chance to reclaim, but agree 2 weeks is too long. Many people still dont understand chipping and think putting a collar on is enough but collars do come off.
If they havent contacted you in a week rehome but before that isnt fair on those few that are genuine.

Abe should be neutered and if an owner comes forward they can pay his bill for you  ;D :rofl:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
See i've opened a can of worms here!

I don't really know what we do with all of our full toms as I don't really deal with that side of it, but if they're living outside we neuter them straight away, but have had issues in the past with people claiming criminal damage which has made us wary I think! When I say we may wait for an owner to claim him, what I mean is that we sit back and don't actively look for an owner when a cat is in such a bad state!

He's up for adoption now and is unlikely to find a home straight away as our re-homing is sooooooooo slow at the moment, it's dire!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
nice to see your still living up to your name D'The Nut Cracker'D  :evillaugh:

Had another 4 little boys in this morning, and all are now nutless  :naughty:

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
What a cutie - if he was in Wigan I would have him (add to my Tribe)  - he is lovely.
Amanda
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline lucy3

• Adult Cat
he is gorgeous i would have him in a shot if lived nearer im waiting til i get a car in july to get to my local shelter to get another cat and rabbit as got no one to take me til then

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
I suppose this is another thread entirely.. But we had one a female with spay scar, collar mark and the most wonderful temperament, found in a very rural location of Canterbury, taken to vets.. advertised for 2wks (or thereabouts) and never found an owner...Actually.. i am interested in what other branches do with LF as we dont have a good relationship with press and we give them LF cats but they never put them in (or weeks later which is no good).. We have a LF register with more L then F? We have our website and notify local vets and rescues but hardly any come back tous, indeed i reckon they delete the emails we send them...i reckon nr on 60% of cats we take in probably were or are owned by people in the past but no ID etc... I am a BIG,BIG fan of chips and cannot stress enough to people that second to neutering its probably more important then anything else, as it could save your cats life if taken to a vets with severe injuries. Hardly anyone believes me until they loose a cat or any animal...This whole 2wks business narks me alot... and we could indeed end up with 9 fosterers all with cats we cannot rehome for 2wks due to this or that.. its silly.... People should be responsible for their animals, ID and everything.. we shouldnt be doing all the work for them.. they should.. I had a lady ring me a few days ago (really abrupt) lost her cat of 2days and wanted another as her daughter was nagging her..I told her to try and make an effort to find her old cat, vets, rescues ect.. and she said to me "oh never mind, we will just get another, thats why i am ringing you" Needless to say i told her in no certain terms that we didnt have anything suitable !!!

If you cannot be bothered to get your cat chipped, id etc and make an effort by ringing rescues and vets, you dont deserve puss back. Thats what i say!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Ironically Sharon, the RSPCA have a national database for lost and found cats, I always ring them up when I find a stray. NEver found an owner yet, not even for the cat who had a spay scar and bald patch, but I never give up hope. They are all neutered asap though, I wouldnt hold an unneutered male for 2 weeks, if an owner ever did turn up, they would have to accept it. A study in the US shows that only 2-5% of strays are reclaimed (although 30% for dogs)
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
He's lovely. Good luck finding the perfect home, Abe. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Super Cat
Well i am glad we are not the only ones... I would be getting lovely Abe down the vets, sorted and rehomed asap.. I wouldnt be waiting for 2wk... he could be rehomed in that time... Might me fine for someone in HQ to come up with these "rules and reg" but the reality is  you could end up with a dozen fosterers having all unclaimed puss cats for 2wks....After all the it should be owners who have lost cats that do the running around and making efforts not us all the time...we do our best.

Very few times have we taken in a cat that is obviously owned, done the usualy stuff  of advertising etc and found his or her owner... Anyone else been successful on this.. ? It actually a big gripe of mine that with all of CP HQ resources they dont hold a CP universal lost and found register for all CP branches.. but they give me a laod of waffle to say it wouldnt work.. So we all end up doing just our area.. To me it makes so much sense that CP branches just input into one big register and CP HQ admin it and its searchable...

Any cat that was on the PTS hit list once is special but twice.. !! Well he deserves a lovely home to go to, good luck Abe!

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
I get any of the "strays" done straight away as well, I know our other local rescue keeps them the two weeks but if they get to me first, they are soon lobbed off  ;)  He is a gorgeous babe though and I'm sure would melt anyone's heart  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

nice to see your still living up to your name D'The Nut Cracker'D  :evillaugh:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I get any of the "strays" done straight away as well, I know our other local rescue keeps them the two weeks but if they get to me first, they are soon lobbed off  ;)  He is a gorgeous babe though and I'm sure would melt anyone's heart  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

ccmacey

Yes and I would say if someone does claim him will they really get him neutered?  :(

And would you be happy with handing him over with the state he was in? He has been given a new and it would be awful for him to have to go back to the old.

He looks a lovely fellow.  :)

• Super Cat
It may be me, and our branch and how we do things, but long term full toms we get neutered straight away, this idea of keeping them for 2wks  just incase someone comes forward to claim i find  (as is CP policy) totally unrealistic.. Many times they are full of fleas and worms and probably got dumped months ago. I really don't get it with regard to full toms... We have had several lately in all in a poor state, vets visit neuter 2wks to settle down and get to know them and rehome them... Indeed all are doing fab well...

He looks a lovely boy...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
What a lovely looking boy ... you can see that he is a softie!  Someone is going to be very lucky to be owned by this chap  :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
What a corker!  :wow: :Luv: :Luv:

If it wasn't for the fact my Tilly would beat six bells out of him, I'd be applying. I have such a soft spot of long term roaming Toms. They are so, so greatful to be rescued and repay you with love ten fold.  :naughty:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Introducing Abe - due to be PTS (twice!) and now up for re-homing!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 20:29:19 PM »
Here is one of our newest arrivals and he's just brilliant! He's obivously been a stray for a long time as he doesn't understand the function of a cat bed; preferring to sleep on the wooden ramp in his pen!  :evillaugh:

He came in un-neutered, wandering in circles, eyes watering and twice in the vets notes he was due to be PTS, but little Abe little by little pulled through and has gottne the all clear from the vets. The vet reports that whenever he tries to listen to Abe's heartbeat, he can't hear it over his purring  :Luv2: After living rough for so long, it's a miracle, but his bloods have come back clear for FIV and FeLV (phew!)

He's still un-neutered, but as soon as the two weeks is up and no-one claims him, he'll be sorted and up for re-homnig. He's around 6 years old and is super, super friendly so must have belonged to someone at some point. He will need lots and lots of love and feeding up, but would be OK with other cats as he spends quite a lot of time looking at the other cats, but not hissing or spitting and of course he's likely to become even more mellow when he's been "done"!

You can see video footage of Abe on our website here... http://adel.cats.org.uk/index.asp?m=gallery&id=3&p=1

Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat