Author Topic: Advice needed - which rescue cats to choose  (Read 2653 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Advice needed - which rescue cats to choose
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 21:18:42 PM »
yep, sounds like they are sorting out who gets the lap and who gets to sit beside you. It is always a challenge when there are two cats and one lap, unless one gives in gracefully. From your initial description they are both fairly feisty so there will be a few more spats until they are sorted out  - nothing to worry about unless you come home to large chunks of fur and two cats in a major standoff ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 21:15:29 PM »
I am sure that this will sort itself out with time, they sound like they both want to be with you and its a bit of jealousy :hug:

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I thought that is is probably a bit of stress and just finding their feet. There are plenty of toys and places for them to hide away from each other. BUt they seem to follow each other about anyway.

I'm sure they just need a bit of time. And I'm going to let them upstairs soon so they will have more room. I will try with the treats idea - they love their treats. I have left some hidden around the living room for them to hunt for today.

Thanks

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
They're probably just getting used to a new home/owner.

My two girls get grumpy if anything changes in the house and my burmese will sit on my lap and guard me.

Might want to get them double of some small toys so they can each have one. Maybe use treats to get them used to the idea of both being near you/on you.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
They are really friendly - spent yesterday with them purring on my lap and shoulder. But they do seem to be having a few spats. Digby (B&W) tries to push Riley (Ginger) off my lap or just away from me. When they are playing with Da Bird (which they love!) they don't fight though. Also had a spat over a catnip cushion. Poor Riley gets the brunt of it - he has a couple of scratches on his face.

They cried when I left for work this morning but I'm going home for lunch.

Any advice about the fighting?

Thanks
Anne

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 19:00:55 PM »
Aw, can't wait to see some pics of your new additions  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 19:06:35 PM »
Congrats on the new furbabes.

Pictures when they settle in a bit more please ;)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 18:53:36 PM »
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I now have 2 rescue cats - I went for the black and white one and the ginger one. I think they are brothers and they seem to have the same sort of level of confidence. They have  explored my living room and are now sitting on my dining room chairs. Unsurprisingly not on any of the cat trees, tunnels or beds that I have bought!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 22:47:48 PM »
I would take all three but they will be indoor cats and I don't know if my place is big enough for three cats. Although coming back with three is a distinct possibility!! I'm not known for my amazing willpower.

I had read that b&w cats are difficult to rehome, which seems strange to me as they are so cute.

I think it's very sensible to take into account that the cats might be stressed if there's too many of them in your home, especially if they're indoor only. :)

I think you'll probably know when you get there. And with regards to the "less attractive" cat - I've said it before and I'll say it again; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen some cats that are meant to be hideous looking but I've thought they're really cute and it can be said the other way!

Good luck. :) And welcome to Purrs.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

MBll

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 22:06:59 PM »
I don't know if my place is big enough for three cats.

What ...do you live in a shoe box lassie lol   Im sure you could fit all 3 of them in your place.   Iv got 2 the noo & in a flat & if I can get meself another moggie .....Ill be going for it

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 21:02:42 PM »
No way I could do that - I wouldn't be able to take one back! Way too soft for that. I think I will just have to go with my gut instinct at the time. I think any of them will be lovely. And because of what they have been through I don't think I'll see their personalities for a bit anyway.

I think it is more difficult because I have been back and forth a few times and couldn't take them right away. If I had taken them sooner, I wouldn't have been thinking too much about it. I would have just taken the two I wanted and concentrated on settling them in - not thinking about the others left behind!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 19:58:23 PM »
Tough one!  :loon:

Would the rescue let you have a try at all three to see how they adjusted to your home?  :smile:

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 19:51:45 PM »
I would take all three but they will be indoor cats and I don't know if my place is big enough for three cats. Although coming back with three is a distinct possibility!! I'm not known for my amazing willpower.

I had read that b&w cats are difficult to rehome, which seems strange to me as they are so cute.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 19:48:26 PM »
Go on, be a devil - take all three  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome to Purrs where we kind of work on the principle that if you can afford to give them proper care, then there is no number limit! :Luv:

On a more serious note, they are both in the 'hard to home' category because oddly enough, few people want b&w cats ...

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Advice needed - which rescue cats to choose
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 19:44:10 PM »
Hi

I am taking two rescue cats tomorrow and I'm not sure which to choose! There are three possibles - all rescued with 19 others from horrible flat. When I first saw them I chose and reserved two, but one had to have an op so I had to wait. I went & visited them two weeks later, and one of the other ones was super friendly and all over me. So now I'm not sure which to choose - the original two or one of those and the other one. I would like all three but have to be sensible and would be happy with any two really. I would rather take the two which would be harder to rehome.

Which would be harder to rehome - a black-and-white cat or a cat that is, shall we say, less handsome than his brothers? Some people have even said he is ugly. Obviously those people are not allowed to visit my place anymore!

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Link to CatChat