Author Topic: Extreme weight loss and lip licking  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Extreme weight loss and lip licking
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 13:53:31 PM »
Hoping all goes well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
He is on 15mg. I gave him it with food so he  doesnt get a sore tummy. Day one - fingers crossed. X

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 23:11:42 PM »
Yeah, she said if he is sick again to stop the tablet straight away and bring him in. At least we know what it is and can manage it. Its scary just not knowing. My partner is type on diabetic so the pair have bonded today and its kinda just another thing to maintain n our little house. X

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 22:49:11 PM »
HyperT is a serious, rather complicated but very treatable condition Stezzle and everything will depend on results of blood tests (Thyroid and kidneys) to gauge the correct level of medication and how well he is responding to treatment which I assume is Vidalta as it's only 1 tab a day. 

It's good that your vet is asking to see him again on 21st.  I'm sure vet will have told you however to keep an eye on Licky and bring him back in before then if you notice any deterioration. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 20:19:19 PM »
As far as I know you cant bulk him up but if the medication works he will gradually put on weight again if he eats well.

I think people will be interested to know what medication and the amounts cos many have used hyperT meds.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 20:16:28 PM »
We found out today that he has thyriod problem, which i thought. He had been given one tabley a day and got another appiontment for the 21st. If he cant handle this tablet then its the two a day type, and then if cant handle that one he will have it out as at 14years he will be able to recover well. Glad we know for sure. Just need to bulk him up. Any ideas? Xxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 00:38:13 AM »
Sending loads of good vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 00:34:19 AM »
Just wanted to post that for the first time a while he has snuggled up on my tummy for bedtime like normal - lately he wasnt fussed on company yet he normally loves attention. I hope this is a good thing. Xxxx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 22:19:09 PM »
Keeping fingers and paws crossed here, Stezzle.  :coolpics: :crossed:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 22:09:56 PM »
How old is Licky, Stezzle? Did they do a urine test on him? I'm wondering about poss diabetes as a cause for his weight loss.  :hug:

Licky is 14 years olds - They have done a full blood work up and getting the full results 2mo. I think he has hyperthyroidism. He eats well but not really putting much weight back on for the amount he is eating. He seems better within himself, just worried and want advice about his weight now. I want to ask about maybe a special diet or which is the better to give him at the moment ( i dont mind paying for special cat food if he gets back to his normal weight) or even a supplement/paste. I weighted him two days ago and he was 3.6kg when he is normally about 4kg so we have some work to do but he is eating and loves food so it should not be really hard with the right combination.

We got him a water fountain for Christmas which is a running success. His coat is silky to touch and shiny, so dehydration will never be an issue again as it really scared me. I would advice every cat owner to have one.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 16:14:30 PM »
or HyperT
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 15:11:21 PM »
How old is Licky, Stezzle? Did they do a urine test on him? I'm wondering about poss diabetes as a cause for his weight loss.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
So pleased  :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 22:38:58 PM »
Brilliant news. You must be so relieved  :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
Re: Extreme weight loss and lip licking (UPDATE)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 22:19:11 PM »
Just an update....

I ened up taking him in at 2am after he tried to eat and then started having differcult breathing. The vet on shift said he was really dehydrated, Kidneys had got a lot smaller and she found a lump in his upper body. So she keep him in over night...

I basically went home feeling like crap.

Phoned up this morning and was told i could come and pick him up at 4pm. So pretty much jumped and skipped there as knew he was going to be ok.

When i got in i was told he was now fully hydrated, had ate 6 bowls of food and when i asked about the lump (because she said last night she was going to do tests in the morning) i was told there was no note on the file about a lump and no lump was felt that morning. She thinks that maybe with him being dehydrated that this lump was a result from that and it looks like its past through.

He has to go back in a weeks time to get the blood results and a full senior cat check up. I still dont have an explaination as to what was causing him all this but at least he is stable and doing well.

The only thing that i could think of was when she told me he had ate 6 times, i asked her what food she was giving him and it was the sachets and not the tins. I use to give him sachets as he enjoys them alot more. I feel guilty now that i stopped getting them for him as an extra treat, but as soon as the shops are open tomorrow its the first thing i will be getting.

Just got to get some weight back on him now, but so relieved. 

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
good luck  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
Good luck for later

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »
When ringing you need to stress he is an emergency and your normal vet should have seen him on this basis but whoever you see I hope they are a good cat vet and sending loads of good vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 23:41:30 PM »
could be a tooth/teeth problem or maybe kidney problems? hope vet can sort him out for you 2moro :(

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 23:29:34 PM »
Yeah phoning them 2mo for an appointment at the pdsa. Always get an appointment the same day and with him being so skinny i am guessing it will be an emergency appointment, no matter what he will be seen 2mo. I just hope he is going to be ok. He does not seem too distressed, like meowing or wanting my attention, just more relaxed but he is not acting normal. I just want to sort this out and fatten him back up into my big cat for Christmas. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 23:02:29 PM »
He needs to be examined properly by a vet asap Stezzle.  Hope the appointment is for tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
Extreme weight loss and lip licking
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 22:40:38 PM »
This is more of a post to vent my worry but any advice between now and the vets would be grateful.

My favourite and personal companion Liquorice (aka Licky) has gone from a full musculus, meaty little man to a skinny, barely there cat. We recently had Granny Katie put to see in October and i just thought that he was going through grieving, as at the end he was very protective and a great companion to her. I know it was grieving for Katie as he use to sit at the window or night and day, just staring (even though Katie was and always has been an indoor cat - Her choice)  After she past, he became sick with the sneezes and a runny eye. We put this down to the weather getting really cold and i kept him in and he has recovered from that. Now he is eating little amounts, licking up little bit of water and sleeps all day, apart from a 5 min sit outside before strolling back in and going to sleep. I've made an appointment at the PDSA as i can't get into our vets for a few days and i think this is too serious to continue on for another day. I have wormed him as i thought maybe it was that, but nothing as changed.

At present he is soo skinny i can feel his spine, licking his lips like he needs a drink but is not interested in the water. He meows for food but then upon giving him food will sniff it and then sulk off. Sleeps all the time and is disinterested in play (he is 14years old but boy he loves to play with anything and anyone) and when he is eating he is eating funny and recently been told that he is being sick all the time. I think he has something stuck in his throat but he wont nor do i feel confident enough to attempt to have a look. I clean his teeth but never fully open his mouth.
 I am just soo worried that i may have caused he to lose soo much weight and make him ill. I am also worried that they will tell me that he is suffering and to put him down. He is my best mate, my baby and cheers me up all the time. I can't lose another cat, I've planned a brilliant family and cat Christmas to make everyone happy and loved. I just hope he is ok.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 22:43:36 PM by Stezzle »

Link to CatChat