Author Topic: Never doing rescue again: too (censored) expensive!  (Read 11458 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Never doing rescue again: too (censored) expensive!
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2007, 22:16:27 PM »
I think as Dawn knows there is more to all of this than can be said on this thread and think we should now be a bit sensitive to what we say.

It would be lovely if Hippykitty could respond to Dawn so that Dawn could help but the time frame for help is nearly past and with all the goodwill in the world Dawn can only do so much.

Thank you all for your posts of support for the cats and dawn and hippy kitty but think this now should be kept between Dawn and hippykitty  off forum ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2007, 22:08:42 PM »
Well call me  :censored: incesitive but why do this thread and ask for help in the fist place...... >:(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2007, 20:38:36 PM »
I've been trying to phone her as well. And I've PM'd her. I was going to send her some dosh now my pay cheque cleared but I need her full name and addy...  :shy: I guess I'll have to spend it on choccie instead!  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2007, 20:29:12 PM »
I've tried phoning Hippy a few times and no answer  :tired:  I think this one is going to be a no go I'm afraid.  I will be going over to Birmingham hopefully early next week, if Hippy is reading this and she wants to get in touch with me about the mum cat, fair enough, if not then I tried.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2007, 19:05:01 PM »
 :nerner:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2007, 16:40:34 PM »
 :evillaugh: ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2007, 16:20:37 PM »
I'm mortified :sad no:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2007, 16:18:06 PM »
Dawn owes me a choccie so I have to travel up there to see her,   :evillaugh:   

Sorry Lesley, this thread is stressing me out so much so choccie now gone  :naughty:  I will bring one over for you though but I'll have to buy some  :innocent:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2007, 15:59:25 PM »
Dawn owes me a choccie so I have to travel up there to see her,   :evillaugh:   

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Thanks Jasmine, no offense to Hippy but I would prefer to contact them myself as well once we find out where she is, this way we can make sure they get sorted and are not left.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 15:59:48 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2007, 15:58:07 PM »
OK, I'll PM Hippy with the suggestion  ;D

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2007, 15:55:44 PM »
Dawn owes me a choccie so I have to travel up there to see her,   :evillaugh:    but it would probably be better for mum if she could go somewhere more local, especially if she has kitties with her, journies can stress them. 

Jas, it might be worth PMing the details to HK.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2007, 15:49:56 PM »
Jasmine, I have to meet up with Lesley anyway so it won't save us a journey but it may be better for the mum cat if they can sort it.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2007, 15:48:14 PM »
I was wondering if Hippy has tried to contact Cramar Cat Rescue to help?
They are based in Hopwood, only 7 miles from Edgbaston.

I've been to the sanctuary twice and they have a special kitten area, vets on site and a huge paddock enclosure for ferals that are untameable/unhomeable.

This might just resolve this happily for everyone involved and save a long trip for Dawn/Lesley and any furries.

Jas

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2007, 15:46:24 PM »
Kidderminster, it will mean he'll get a break in the journey as well so better for him to stretch his legs and have something to eat.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2007, 15:44:00 PM »
Where does Erin live?

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2007, 15:43:10 PM »
If I can do Liverpool and back :naughty:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2007, 15:42:24 PM »
Lesley, you can't do that sort of mileage  :Crazy:  I have an idea, Erin may take him there for a couple of hours whilst we get mum.  I have to meet with Erin anyway so I'll bell her later  ;)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2007, 15:40:59 PM »
I was just thinking maybe I could meet you at Selly Oak first, then follow you back to yours to pick "him" up, it just means the journey home would be long!!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2007, 15:39:20 PM »
About 2 hours from NEC, not sure how far from Selly Oak but this also depends on traffic.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2007, 15:36:18 PM »
I agree, there will be a time restriction due to "you know who".  How far from Birmingham is your place?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2007, 15:35:34 PM »
Sorry, that sounded like me working with her rather than you  :shify:  I meant us working with her, if she can have the trap, we may be able to get her to try and catch mum.  If not she can monitor where she goes etc etc and then we can just go in and catch the little minx  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 15:36:18 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2007, 15:31:15 PM »
Lesley, we need to try and work something out regarding what we are doing.  If hippy can get the phone number of the shopkeeper in question, it may be better working with her.  All I'm thinking, we have to remember we will have a cat to consider when I come over.  I do not want want him stressing out too much and he may do if he's stuck in a car for hours  :tired:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2007, 15:14:18 PM »
No probs. :Luv2:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2007, 15:10:24 PM »
You just want that choccie don't ya  >:(  Sadly I can't tomorrow, I've still not got my tyre sorted and hubby won't let me drive that distance just in case, and if I get pulled, it will be a ban  :tired:  As soon as it's done, I'll give you a bell  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2007, 15:04:32 PM »
I can always come up tomorrow if you want me to Dawn, if we can get other things arranged for then :naughty:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2007, 15:03:07 PM »
I'lll give Hippy a ring again later and get the address  :tired:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 15:01:58 PM »
HK - you don't have to do anymore if you do not feel able to, but just tell us where mum cat is so that we can look for her.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 14:48:20 PM »
Here, here!

Please HK I emplore you to take up an offer of help, pride comes before a fall in my book, please dont take things the wrong way as everyone is trying to think of what is best for the cats...... :brokenheart:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2007, 14:40:25 PM »
Lesley, I went through all this last night with her, it isn't fair on the mum cat and chances are kittens wouldn't survive.  I also explained the gingers which are only young wouldn't be getting released onto farms etc until the summer and only if they couldn't be tamed down.  The black/white is very close to the gingers and according to hippy a real bruiser, I told her he wouldn't be split from them as it wouldn't be fair.  If they got released, he would be going to the same spot so they can remain together.  I'm quite happy trying to find mum and kittens when we go over if Hippy is prepared to work on this with us.  I did ask if there was anyone else in the area that Hippy could ask to keep an eye on the trap etc as she said she'd pulled her side, and that way they could monitor the situation and if any went in, take the trap back to Hippy.  I don't know the situation with the shopkeepers etc so I can't really comment. You have also said you don't like the idea of working cats, if you release the black/white behind the shops, haven't you said in your post he will be keeping the rodent population down  :Crazy:  That is no different, the only difference being where I would get a home for him, he will be safe from road and drunken students, I know where I would rather be!!

Hippy I'm a city girl, through and through and the farm/stables homes mine go to are fab, they get well looked after, well fed and have plenty of warm places to sleep.  You said you were worried about the students, surely this should be an incentive to get the mum cat.  I make myself ill doing what I'm doing but if it means saving a life, I will do it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 14:47:26 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2007, 14:37:05 PM »
I really hope something can be sorted for this mum cat, she must be worn out if nothing else from the endless baby making and now the weather is changing

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2007, 14:24:52 PM »
HK - has the girl at the shop seen mum cat recently - is she still in the area?  I am so worried about her, with the weather as it is.  If you want PM me, I am due to come up that way to meet with Dawn and if she has been seen in the area, maybe it would be worth a trip over to see if Dawn and I can find her and any kittens. You would just have to clear it with the shop owner first.  This is not the time of the year for a mum to be having babies outside.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2007, 14:10:45 PM »
 :scared:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2007, 13:59:57 PM »
Just had a pm off Hippy, I'm not going to read it and then update on what's happening just in case I word it wrong so I'll just put the whole thing to make it easier, I'm sure Hippy won't mind.

Following our chat on the phone, I have decided to do the following. You will not agree with my decision, but I think that it is best for the pusscats and in the light of my circumstances: that I'm doing this solo, don't drive and have the beliefs of a city girl for whom, in ideal conditions, every cat would have a human slave, live in a house and be a pet, not a 'working cat'.

Firstly, Fred (black and white male) is slowly taming with the good food and warmth and the fact that nice things - FOOD - happen when he sees a human. I'll see if he makes further progress and becomes able to home as a pet. If not, I'll release him behind the shops, which is a place he knows, where there are people to feed him and he can keep the rodent population down.

The ginger terrors are also settling a little. I'll try to keep these until they are old enough to be neutered or someone is prepared to take them as a pet. If they don't tame, they will be released behind the shops after neutering.

The other cats are all homeable. The two adult females have someone interested in taking one of them (a bit of arm twisting might get them to go together).  Alfie (kitten) has a home with Rebekah, a close friend, if his bloods are ok. Newbie may have a home with Reb's daughter's friend, Vicky; and smudge is so loveable that he'll easily find a slave - if not, I'll have him myself.

As for the mother: I don't have room in that small room for her and her kittens, nor do I have the energy or resources to catch her, check whether she's dropped, then trap her kittens. I'm going to give CP a ring after a long chat with the girl at the chemist. CP are better placed to deal with her properly and do TNR at the appropriate time.

I want the cats I've trapped to have warm domestic homes, not to be farm cats. As I said, this is probably because I'm town/city born and bred and dislike the notion of 'working cats'. Dogs work; cats get waited on tail and paw!   

This is no slight upon you, just what I feel is best for the cats and for myself (I'm really too ill to go through the process of trapping mum and kits, I've got enough on my plate looking after the monsters I've caught; this isn't easy when I'm drugged up with anti-convulsants and regularly suffering seizures).

Thank you for your advice,
I'll keep you posted about the progress of the monsters; not because I want help, but because you might be interested in what happens.

Catherine

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
well done to you both, I hope mum and babes turn up

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 21:55:27 PM »
Great news  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 21:52:20 PM »
Well done  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2007, 21:29:59 PM »
Well done DD and HK. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 21:01:41 PM »
I've phoned HK and she's going to try and get the mum cat sorted out  ;D  Some of the kittens she is going to try and rehome herself which is better for me if I'm being honest.  I will be bringing 2 kittens back, and one that's about 9 months old and hopefully the mum if she's been caught. HK thinks there may be a possibility that mum may have dropped her kittens but this is something that will have to looked into.  If she's dropped them, we need to find out where and take it from there.  I will keep you posted when something is sorted out  :hug:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 21:02:25 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 14:55:52 PM »
I haven't read all the posts, I didn't realise there was a pregnant one, poor thing fingers crossed she does call you then that would be an awful start in life

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 14:53:45 PM »
I hope she does as well Dawn but I can't force her, the offer is there and I'm only concerned about the cats.  I really don't want the pregnant one giving birth outside in the middle of winter  :(  If she decides at a later date she want's me to take them, then I would have to ask for a donation towards fuel and that is depending on whether I would have the room, as xmas is also coming up and I have to know what I've got coming in.  I don't want to be turning cats down on the basis these are coming in if they are not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 14:57:07 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat