Author Topic: Chislet ferals  (Read 9489 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Chislet ferals
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 22:56:46 PM »
not sure whether to be disappointed (for me) or pleased (for them). Would have liked to have a go at fostering, but better still if they are all homeable with minimum fuss. Good on Dianne is all I can say.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 22:49:56 PM »
That's the really odd thing about this site. So far, I've picked up around 12 kittens. All but 2 of them have been cuddling and purring within 2 hours of capture. Even the 2 moody ones don't hiss or scratch - they just won't be picked up and skulk a lot. I can still tickle them and touch them anywhere. Not a 'shredder' in sight, bc...  :innocent: I may not even have to call upon your offer of help at all - but we'll see what I catch next week.  :evillaugh:

I had one much bigger kitten (5 months) neutered and I was going to put him back on the farm. I thought he was way too big and had probably gone too 'wild'. But when he was in the recovery pen, he stuck his little nose out and started sniffing my hand. I slowly put my hand in the pen and he put his head in my hand for a tickle. Some big, fierce creature he was!  :evillaugh: How could I put him back..?  :)

Diane, the lady feeding these cats has done a wonderful job. If only the poor woman had of had someone to help her corner the little tykes and get them neutered before!  :innocent: :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 22:11:22 PM »
they are alll so sweet aren't they. Cute little shredders that they are ... :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 22:09:58 PM »
I met gremlin & the ginges at Caroline's the other day  ;D - I couldn't believe she is younger than them as she is so tiny (apart from he big wormy belly  :evillaugh: )

You must be knackered. I should be able to help next week if you are still working on them  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 21:52:00 PM »
AWw!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 21:48:30 PM »
A few more piccies of the rescued orphans.

The tortie, we nick named 'Gremlin' was the sickly one. When the fosterer picked her up from the vet, she was so bedraggled after all the treatments, she looked just like one! She's teamed up with little Stumpy and we think they make a lovely pair and will gp together when rehomed.

Also picked up yesterday was a group of 10 day old abandoned in the paddock and found nearly stone cold. I'd been watching this mum all week and she just didn't want these babies. I kept hoping she'd change her mind, but the little ginger one looked dead when I found it. I revived by rubbing it on the way to the vet. Very Holby City!

Had a right lazy afternoon today, though...  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 21:57:26 PM by Pinkbear »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 20:57:16 PM »
i am so glad to hear another good update, and fingers crossed it wont take much longer to get the rest of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline ClaireR

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 13:34:19 PM »
Pinkbear

Just wanted to say what a brilliant job you are doing. I find it amazing what some of these cats have to go through without any medical help - poor stumpy. I know that he is now in the right place to get all the love and attention he needs and I am sure he will appreciate it eventually!!!!

Claire xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 12:51:25 PM »
Well done PB at catching more of those gorgeous furbabes...... :wow:

You put your feet up hun, you derserve it  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
... and some more.  :Crazy: :Crazy:

I'm very please we got little Stumpy 2, who is Stumpy's brother. He's somehow lost almost all his back leg as well - probably soon after birth. I suspect they were attacked by rats or possibly got strimmered by accident by the farmer. I'm stunned they could have survived and I hate to think of the pain they went through without help.  :'( :'(

We've now removed 12 kittens and neutered and released 6 adults. There's about another 12 adults to go, I think. Plus we see more kittens every day...  :tired:

We sent out an appeal for a Crush Cage, Liz, and another CP branch has donated one.  :blow kiss: Life will get a lot easier when it arrives.  ;)

I'm having a rest for a couple of days now. The cats up there are all getting twitchy and they know what I'm doing!  :sneaky:

And the really good news of the week is that someone has expressed an interest in Apache and Squaw!  :na na naa na: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 09:02:06 AM »
PB do you have access to a Crush Cage so you can decant the cats from the trap - this would mean that you could reset the trap whilst off at the vets

The crush cage is a godsend as it means you can decant them safely and get the wire door in before you split the trap and crush cage - we use the crush cages for 5 of the clan cats for routine injections as they are nasty or in the girls cases feisty ferals and it makes it easier for the vets to they don't get shredded

The crush cages are usually available from CP but you can buy them on line to

Our crush cages are modified and we have boarded the bases so we can put newspaper in the bottom and its a solid surface.  Robin is an engineer and modified the cages so that it was easier for us to give antibiotics to Holly when she was very ill
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »
Keep up the good work.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 19:53:25 PM »
They are both gorgeous - the calico has markings very similar to my old Tabitha Jane ... :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 19:50:13 PM »
And another one...  :wow:  :evillaugh:

I'm drowning in black kittens as well!  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 20:42:27 PM »
oh goodie - I am looking forward to frayed fingers ;D ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 20:40:43 PM »
so does this mean I won't be getting any lodgers?? :(

blackcat, I do expect to be taking up your kind offer. But I'm having trouble locating a kitten pen. While some of these babies are really handleable, others will need taming. I'm concentrating on getting the friendlier ones first, because homing them will be relatively easy and that'll free up space.  ;) But I want to try to save the fiesty ones as well.  :)

I'm just a bit stumped on getting the right equipment in the right place. By the time I got back from the vets with the neutered cats and let them go from the traps, all the others had dissapeared for the night. I didn't catch any today.  :( We're trying to get more traps, though.  :innocent:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 19:58:27 PM »
so does this mean I won't be getting any lodgers?? :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 16:55:41 PM »
She looks about petunias age 8 weeks and her eyes have definately changed   :Luv: :Luv:

Well done on catching the others, you must be quarter way through  ;D

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 14:19:37 PM »
What a cutie!

Wish I was closer to help out course you'd have to check my pockets before I left ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 14:13:56 PM »
A couple of piccies of the tiny baby - about 6 weeks?  :-: She's too small to put her in a pen, so she's sort of hanging around our necks and sleeping a lot.  :Luv: :Luv: She eats more than Jumpy does!  :evillaugh:

Word is getting around about these babies now. Sharon, our rehoming officer, has already recieved enquiries about the Gingers and the tortie. So they may not have to go to Bredhurst.  ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 13:51:26 PM »
If only we were closer the stumpy's would have been welcome to the Clan cats abode we have our iwon 3 legged delinquent maverick or baby Mav (He's a mummy's boy) and it has never stopped him he came with 3 legs and his brother 4 weeks later when trapped with 4 but a dislocated tail

Also have a thing for black cats but don't tell the other colours in the clan! :innocent:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Our local CP adoption centre, Bredhurst, has offered to take the tamer kittens! They will also have Stumpy.  :Luv:

The little tortie is going to one of our fosterers for a bit of aftercare. But she'll probably go to Bredhurst as well.  :)

It's a big weight off my shoulders.  :sneaky:

But we need to get these adults in to be done as quick as possible.  :tired:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
Thank goodness you caught some more....especially the tortie......keep up the good work PB  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »
Am sure the gingers wont take long to find homes, and glad you have done well on catching some more, fingers crossed for the other little boy. The tortie was very lucky, good on you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 22:38:33 PM »
It's going to be in the Gazette.  :sneaky:

The gingers are going to Caroline tomorrow, Mark.  ;D

We caught several today. Two went in for neutering and 3 more kittens.  ;)

The sickly tortie went in this morning. And what a relief we got her as she had so worried me. :shify: She turns out to be not that serious, but very heavily infested with parasites. They were literally killing her! :'( She's being kept in for treatment and should be fine.  :)

We also got Stumpy - a little black boy about 8 weeks. He's missing half his back leg. The vet thinks maybe a rat chewed it off when he was new born.  :( He has a brother that I haven't caught yet also with the same problem.  :'(

And... I caught a lovely wee black girl about 6-7 weeks.  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 20:20:59 PM »
They are gorgeous  :Luv:

I hope I can get down there to help (in daylight  :evillaugh: )
Even if its to bring a flask and some hot pies  ;D
I looked up where Chislet is today - not too far out from Herne?
Which paper are doing the article? - hopefully not the Chislet Herald, circulation 120 copies  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 19:42:08 PM »
Julie those gingers are just gorgeous :Luv: :Luv:!! No worries finding them homes once they are sorted I would not have thought...

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 13:36:12 PM »
That second picture looks like Mary who I lost *sniffles*

Very glad the paper has picked up on this and hopefully you’ll get all the cats taken care of ;)

You’re house is going to be full o’cats.

I can send down some NyQuill for you’re man’s flu, its 10% alcohol.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 13:35:53 PM »
Gorgeous  :Luv: fingers crossed you can home them quick.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 13:08:03 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer:

The local newspaper is going to do a piece about these cats. Some of the kittens, as you can see, are quite tame already because the lady has spent so much time with them. A few of the litters have been born in her caravan and she's been able to handle them to some extent. But then they give her the slip and mum moves them into the barn and she can't catch them anymore.

The 2 gingers are girls and they've been laying on my shoulder purring today.  :Luv: :Luv: Not so much feral as just a bit timid.  :sneaky:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
Fingers crossed you get some adult females soon and stop them popping out some more  :o :o

40 should keep you busy  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 07:37:15 AM »
I am glad you managed to catch some of them, even if they aren't the ones you were after. Fingers crossed for the rest of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 05:29:49 AM »
I'm exhausted.  :tired: What doesn't help is OH has got a bad case of Man Flu and isn't good when he's sick. When he's not coughing and spluttering all night, he's banging on about he's got the worst virus in history and anyone else would be in hospital.  :innocent:

I managed to get 2 gingers aged about 10-12 weeks (one's a girl!) and a little black kitten about 8 weeks. No sign of the sickly ones I was really after.  :(

The black one wasn't in the game plan for today. When I caught him, I let him go first time but he turned straight round and went back in - wanted to come home with me I guess.  :evillaugh: I want to get the other ginger and tortie from that litter as they're so healthy looking and I can move them on to fosterers soon.

Diane (the stable lady) did a head count at feeding time this afternoon. She's got 40 cats and kittens there!  :Crazy: :Crazy:

I'll get some pics later.  ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 23:21:36 PM »
Hope you managed to catch some tonight  :wish:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »
 :oh noo: Just seen this thread   :-[

:bum: to the RSPCA.....how dare they  >:(

Good Luck PB with the trappings.....hope you manage to trap the poorly ones first  ;)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 16:30:45 PM »
That’s horrible that the RSPCA wanted to put all them to sleep!!

Look at those ears on the last picture ;) So adorable, you’ve got your work cut out for you but I know you’ll get all the cats sorted and healthy!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 16:16:37 PM »
Well, it's not as bad as I feared, but it's bad enough...  :tired:

The lady asking for help has nursed several generations of these cats now. Some she has managed to catch young and tame as pets for friends. One ot 2 of them even have their babies in her caravan!  :innocent:  But the rest she can't quite get near enough to scoop up.

She's asked many time for help before. None of the rescues would do it. The RSPCA offered to PTS the whole lot!  :censored: :censored: >:(

There's around 10 queens and about 20 kittens that I saw. One or 2 look poorly so I'm going to see if they can be fixed.  :wish:

I'll start trapping on Sunday and get some more pics.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:09 AM »
Good luck, and hope there arent too many to deal with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 16:57:48 PM »
I'm going to ask around a bit to see if I can rehome some of them elsewhere. Poor woman has been feeding them out of the kindness of her heart, but it's obvious more and more are turning up and she'd rather not have so many.  :evillaugh: :Crazy: But I also think quite a few of them will be dumped pets that we can rehome through our usual channels - when we've got room.

I didn't ask how many kittens, but if you see one feral kitten, there's usually 2 more too scared to come out...  :tired: She described at least 3 litters, but will know more tomorrow when I've been there.

Ooh... I feel dizzy already!  :sick: :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 16:48:06 PM »
Thats good, they sound like sensible people.

It seems your OH is addicted now, well done  :evillaugh:

Whats her 'loads', has she done a head count for you? I hope her interpretation is worse than it sounds.
Maybe neutering and putting back is the only thing you can do for the older kittens. Are the stables happy to keep them onsite? I hope so :wish:

Link to CatChat