Author Topic: Is all this really necessary?  (Read 25099 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Is all this really necessary?
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
That's great news Byrony, I'm so pleased you can put your experience to one side and try and make a difference  :hug:  :hug:  Good luck with the homecheck, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours  :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
You guys have given me the inspiration to try with this. If the nice lady I spoke to on Saturday is there tomorrow when I visit, I will speak to her about it. I guess if I at least try to help, it will be worth it!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
Even so, I would still like to help out with a rescue, albeit one who appears to care more about the welfare of the animals waiting for their new homes. If anyone needs a Whiteley area checker - give me a shout.

Maybe this is the rescue you need to be helping as Mark has said  ;)  I know all their messing about is a pain in the butt but like Desley said, they may have their reasons, short staffed being one of them.  I don't have anyone to do checks for me and sometimes although I'm chocca and need the room, sometimes it's taken up to two weeks to get one done although I try and do them asap.   If this rescue needs help, regardless of your experience or maybe moreso because of your experience, I would approach them to see if there's any way you can help to lessen the load.  In doing this, you can explain to them about your experience when adopting and maybe your input may change things for the better.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »
Hi Bryony Of course will send it later, but be warned its 14 pages long!! But alot is just good old fashioned common sense!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »
I think the manual idea is very good, would you mind emailing me a copy so I could see what kind of thing would be required of me if I volunteered to be a homechecker? I'm sure every rescue differs slightly but it would be interesting to read. I would certainly like to be involved in rescue volunteering, and this seems like a good start.

I would have imagined that unless the cat has behavior or medical problems that need addressing, the less time they spend in a pen, the better! Maybe I will have to try and speak to one of the nicer members of staff next time I go there. I know the girl in the cattery was hoping (like me) that I could have them on Friday but I don't see that happening at the moment! I would do whatever it takes to make it happen, even if it means driving to pick up a checker and returning them to the center/their home afterwards. I can't bear looking at the girls little faces when I close the cage door on them!

MArk - I agree to a point, but looking at the previous comments, it doesn't look like I'd be able to do any good if they never really contact their homecheckers apart from to sell raffle tickets.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

Even so, I would still like to help out with a rescue, albeit one who appears to care more about the welfare of the animals waiting for their new homes. If anyone needs a Whiteley area checker - give me a shout.

Maybe the animals there are more in need of someone that cares about them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
I didn't do a course but had already been volunteering for a while and had some training from Sharon & Caroline. I think CP have a different attitude. When I got Kylie from CP in Archway (London) 6 years ago. I had just moved and went to see the cats the 1st weekend as I couldn't wait. At the time, I wasn't really thinking about her being stuck in the pen longer than necessary but I asked if I could have a week to sort myself out. The woman at the cattery said no as someone else had taken Kylie 2 weeks before and dumped her back - he said "cats are boring and don't do anything so I am getting a dog instead  :tired:" - anyway, she said that Kylie was stressed and needed to be rehomed ASAP. She arranged a homecheck for the Monday and I collected her the day after  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:22:36 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread.. But i know the RSPCA send people on homechecking courses. CP strangely dont! This brought a whole load of problems for me as i wanted to make sure that people who were doing HC for us were coming up to some kind of standard.. I have a bit of alist of HC people know and all have been very experienced cat owners, and i make a point whenever i can to met up with them while we go through the paperwork. But realising that wasnt enough over Christmas i set about producing a HC manual for our branch that i now send out via email to all interested parties then i met them and we go from there. So far its worked really well.. ! Most HC people who are new go out with another person that has been doing it abit longer and through the system of emailing people if i need a HC done or not people are given the choice to say "no" if they are busy etc.., this is rather then me ring them and put them on the spot. However, i do, to reduce peoples time try to get HC people from many different areas and so that no body has to go miles out their way... However, getting a HC system in place has taken abit of effort and time, but its paying off as now i have a good bunch of reliable volunteers who fit it in with their daily lives.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »
At one point I did think, maybe I should become a homechecker/got involved in some way and maybe help make things better, but I doubt they would listen to my input and as you have just said, I'm not so sure that it is a lack of homecheckers that is a problem, rather lack or organisation. I have to wonder whether they have even contacted the nearest homecheckers about my case.

As others have said, this is certainly not a blanket comment about all rescues or indeed about all staff at this rescue, I have spoken to some lovely members of staff who genuinely seem to care, but I fear that they are in the minority.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
I had a similar experience with them Rosella - an offer to foster became a deluge of raffle tickets!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »
I do hope no one takes offence at this as it is not aimed at any rescues on here but as the whole point of a cat rescue is to home as many as possible, real priority should be given to homechecking ASAP to make space for other cats.

My last experience with the RSPCA was a  :censored: nightmare waiting over a week for a homecheck, after being encouraged to choose Freddie, which would have been longer if I hadn't written a 2 page letter to manager stressing our monthly donation. Leaving Freddie at the RSPCA in the meantime was hell.  Horrible place for my boy.  I would guess that about 60% of the cats there had been reserved pending a home check.  Our previous 2 boys came from a local rescue (much nicer conditions) who did homecheck same day bless em as they needed the space.

In letter to manager at RSPCA and chat with homechecker that eventually came (lovely lady) I offered to go on next home checking course available (did you have to do that Mark?) to supplement numbers.  Only contact a few months later trying to get me to flog raffle tickets. Decided couldn't work for badly organised people and didn't follow up again. Still donate as it's the cats who suffer.

Hope you get them home soon Bryony and well done Mark for what you do (and Sharon of course and everyone else;).  

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
Thats what I thought but I don't think they see it as being urgent, they don't seem in any hurry to get the poor cats out of the pens or free them up for more needy animals to be rehomed.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:55 AM »
Obviously I don't know what their workload is but when Sharon needs an urgent  homecheck done, she emails us all (well there are only a few of us) to see who is available or may be in the area. I did one on a Sunday a while ago so they could pick the cat up on the Monday. It's not a big deal and only takes 10 minutes  :-:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:18:06 AM by Mark »

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:14 AM »
Mark - I know exactly what you are saying, which is why I have stuck with them. It would be no more fair on them for me to walk away, as they only have a couple of cattery staff, the most contact with anyone they have had since coming there has probably been with me - when I went in yesterday they immediately both came over and sat on me, fighting for who could get closest - so cute!

And I'm absolutely sure that all this could have been done more quickly - firstly they should have been prepared to be organising the homecheck while I was getting permission from neighbours. I did ask them if they would consider doing this but they flatly refused and now I have been told I will hear about the homecheck in up to a week! That doesn't even mean it will be done in that time. I know they are volunteers but I gave them the oppotunity to move the process along faster and they didn't take it. I was really hoping to be able to take them home this weekend when they finish their course of antibiotics.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06:29 AM »
Thats pretty much what I plan on doing, the only reason I havn't gone elsewhere is for the cats sake. Sadly I would never recommend anyone else use this rescue after the experience I have had. Pandora recommended me one which sounds much better and has a better policy of home checking first, then you can take your cat home the day you visit! Unfortunately I noticed that they won't rehome to my area though as it is too far away from their centre! If things don't work out with the Ark though, I know exactly where I will be going - to see Lesley!

I'm holding them here with your name on at the moment :Luv2: but hopefully, things will finally work out with these two gingers for you.  I know how attached you have become to them and my little ones here will always find a loving home.

Cornelius and Kali are growing well here, I think Cornelius will be a real bruiser - he-s much bigger than his sister and very much into playing although at just under four weeks his legs do not always go where he wants them to. :rofl:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
The sad thing is, it's the animals that suffer over their policies. Probably stuck in pens a lot longer than is necessary  :( - Also, being RSPCA, they probably don't have a no-kill policy  :'(

I can't see anything about it - all I could find was "Last year we found homes for 85% of our charges but that record has become hard to maintain." - is it any wonder?

If people don't use them, this will just mean more innocent animals PTS  :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:32:29 AM by Mark »

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »
Thats pretty much what I plan on doing, the only reason I havn't gone elsewhere is for the cats sake. Sadly I would never recommend anyone else use this rescue after the experience I have had. Pandora recommended me one which sounds much better and has a better policy of home checking first, then you can take your cat home the day you visit! Unfortunately I noticed that they won't rehome to my area though as it is too far away from their centre! If things don't work out with the Ark though, I know exactly where I will be going - to see Lesley!

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2008, 23:20:42 PM »
I just feel really sorry for you Bryony, I think its beyond a joke now...if I were you I would smile sweetly, go along with whatever they say and get your kitties and don't use them ever again.

I just hope after all this upset you get the end result you wish for...fingers crossed hun

xx :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2008, 20:07:50 PM »
I certainly wasn't going to say anything just yet, it was more a back-up if they decide after all this to refuse me, or something to mention in a few months, more by way of a friendly observation than a huge criticism, at the end of the day, they are doing something to help these animals.

Which rescue are you going to Pandora?

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2008, 18:49:24 PM »
I agree that showing them this site at your stage in the prpceedings may not be a good idea.  I can only say that you have learned your lesson from this for any future adoptions.  I went to my rescue yesterday and seeing how everyone was there, I now know why I have three cats from them and no one else and why the notion of going anywhere else was just a mad fancy.  I know that in three weeks I will go there and go home with a new cat, well adviced and assessed by the staff.  Actually Briony it is near you too as I am near you-sort of.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2008, 18:36:57 PM »
i personally wouldnt show them the thread, it could get Purrs into trouble. AT the end of the day, every rescue is entitled to work as they see fit, with their own rules, and while some seem unreasonable, there might be reasons behind it, and you have to remember that the bulk of people in rescues are unpaid volunteers, and if we weren't here, these cats wouldn't get any chance.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2008, 17:00:56 PM »
I would do it with caution if there is a proviso that they can take cats back  :scared:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2008, 16:10:31 PM »
Thats true - better for the environment than printing out a big wodge of replies as well!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2008, 15:59:28 PM »
given how confusing this site is to the uninitiated, I would give them the link to this thread - they can read it without having to join the site ...

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2008, 15:54:37 PM »
Yeh, i certainly agree that I am spending most of my time worrying about whether I'm going to get them in the end, even though I know I have an excellant home for them. I do feel like I am being constantly judged by some of the staff, although they all seem to have different opinions!

Maybe I should direct them towards the site, might make more impact than just showing them the thread.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2008, 15:50:17 PM »
definitely agree with blackcat - it's important that they know that people already have reservations about being under scrutiny by rescues and stuff like this really doesn't help

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2008, 15:48:10 PM »
It strikes me that the multiple viewpoints might make a greater impression than just yours ... they can see you are not being unreasonable, but that this is a widely shared view, despite most of us also understanding and appreciating the need to ensure that the cat's interests are clearly paramount. They have got the balance so far wrong and they need to see that there are more effective and efficient and friendly approaches that will, ultimately also ensure a safe haven for their rescued babies ...

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2008, 14:49:39 PM »
I was actually planning to do something along those lines. I hadn't actually thought of printing out the thread but I had thought about telling them my feelings after the cats have moved in and backing this up with the fact that a lot of people on here, some of whom have or work for rescues thought that some aspects of the rehoming process were a bit ridiculous!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2008, 14:44:42 PM »
what I would recommend, is that after you have (finally) taken delivery of your two babes, you print out this thread and send it to them. It might make them shake up their ideas (or it might not!) but it will certainly give them room for debate over their methods ...

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2008, 14:01:05 PM »
Wow, I hope my homecheck isn't like that! This place isn't technicly RSPCA run, as they don't give them any funds, it justs works with their officers. They didn't ask me whether I was registered with a vet, but they did ask where my vet was, which I knew. I don't see how you could be registered with a vet if you don't have a pet yet!

I just got back from going to see the girls and their sniffles seem a bit better, only a couple of little sneezes while I was there and their breathing sounded better. They were also having a proper cat flap with a door fitted while I was there so I guess they knew why they got ill too! The girl who cleans out the cages and feeds them was there and she said she was surprised that I come in so often, I didn't think a couple of lunchhtimes a week and both days at the weekend was that much, but maybe it is for them, hopefully that will work in my favour as the cats definitely know me now.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2008, 13:55:59 PM »
I'm sure many of us would say we've heard these kind of tales all too often.

If you aren't happy or comfortable about a rescue's attitude or the health of the cats and they aren't open in telling yuo 'what' is going on then I'd ask the question, what else are they hiding??  and probably look elsewhere.

I hope things come through in the end Bryony, they are certainly making you jump throughout enough hoops (for no good reason at all!!!).

Fingers crossed for you :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2008, 13:15:01 PM »
I had a similar hassle when looking for my new cats from the RSPCA in Brighton. They asked me who my vet was, but obviously not having an animal I didn't have a vet yet. They said they don't rehome to people who aren't regsitered with a vet! I said I would obviously get registered when I got my cats. THey said they would have to check that was okay! That is just completely illogical. I was also looking for indoor cats because I live in a busy area. They said that I lived in too busy an area - what if they got out? Hello, that's why I want indoor cats! Then they asked what provision I have made if I get ill because I am single. I just couldn't believe the questions actually. It was laughable.

They said I had to have a homecheck before I could reserve a cat. Fair enough. They gave me a number to ring to arrange a home check. When I rang him he asked about parking and then said it wasn't his area and to get someone else. And he was really rude! I rang to get another number, rang the new guy 6 times and left 6 messages. He never got back to me. I got tired of waiting and went somewhere else (another rescue) who were much better and now I have my lovely boys.

No more donations to the RSPCA from me, I will be donating to the little guys from now on.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »
Yup, absolutely correctly. They refused to do the homecheck until they had all my paperwork. I even asked if they would put the homecheck through last week as I knew it would take a couple of days to get replies back. I was told that they couldn't do it.

And now I may be waiting up to a week to even hear from someone to do a homecheck!!!

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2008, 08:11:12 AM »
Hi Bryony

Have I read this correctly???, the rescue have made you do all this, and collect permission from other residents and they still haven't done the home check????????????????????  :Crazy:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 21:03:02 PM »
Thats what I thought, considering they both got ill the day after the op - seems likely. Fingers crossed they keep getting better, but with this wind we've been having the drafts must have been awful!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 20:45:52 PM »
I reckon if they have just had an op and are living like that, they were bound to get ill, poor little things. I do hope you can rescue them.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 20:10:58 PM »
Steve - telling you that you have to name your cat with a specific letter is ridiculous!!!!

The girls seemed a little better today so I guess the antibiotics must be doing their job, but I can't help feeling that being in a drafty pen isn't helping. I noticed today that although the way through from their little indoor pen to the partially outdoor run/litter area is cat flap shaped, there is no flap there so it must be a bit cold for them which can't be doing them much good! I'd really love for everything to be sorted out by the weekend as myself and my OH both have bank holidays off work so we'd have 4 straight days to help them settle in rather than having to leave them for a couple of hours. Luckily OH works shifts so they would only be left for 4 hours but I'd still prefer to be around.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 19:57:42 PM »
Steve any questions you have about a cat or kitten are valid and if they start getting upperty its a sure sign they are hiding sometthing.

I agree with Pinkbear that people who are wanting a cat should be courted and not made to feel like the enemy, like Bryony is.

I hope that you get a kitten that is totally right for you and forget about the name cos you can call it what you want as soon as the kitten becomes yours.

I hope the gingers are Ok and recover from what ever they have quickly.

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 19:34:22 PM »
To be fair, this was a great rescue and was very clean. Maybe I needed to vent a little :) tbh I'm quite nervous about getting another kitten because I dont want the same outcome as before :( hence, why I mentioned the shaking.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2008, 19:10:23 PM »
 :hug: :hug: No one said rescue workers have to be sane, Steve.  :evillaugh: I remember when you first registered and were all fired up about getting your first furbabes. I was so gutted for you when it ended way too quickly for one of them.  :( We do forget sometimes that new owners have needs as well as the cats we car for. It's a 'buyer's market' and if one set up doesn't suit, move on before your eyes get turned by a specific pud. Eventually, badly performing rescues will have to examine their proceedures and the penny will drop. We hope!  :sneaky:

Bryony's situation, though, is just plain nuts and that's what gets sensible people up in arms - how many of those animals are stuck there because some  :censored: of a doddery old love thinks it's valid to sniff everyone's bedsheets before they be judged fit to cuddle a puss.  :censored: :censored: :censored:

Link to CatChat