Other Animal welfare issues & petitons > Other Animal Petitions & Welfare & News

Ban foie gras petition

<< < (2/2)

Ela:
Signed and so has my husband who will be delighted when I tell him.

Tan:
Signed

ccmacey:
So whats the point in eating this stuff if its being damaged in the process?

Sam (Fussy_Furball):
Signed.  Poor little ducks :(

Dawn (DiddyDawn):
I have cross posted this from an email.

Dear friends

York City councillor, Paul Blanchard (who recently tried to get the inhumane 'delicacy' of foie gras banned in the City of York), now has a petition and website to demand a UK ban on the sale of foie gras.

Please sign the petition to ban foie gras as soon as possible at: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/banfoiegras

paul Blanchard wants as many signatures as possible before the website is officially launched at the end of this week.

For more information, visit the website at: www.banfoiegras.org.uk.

Foie gras is the liver of force-fed ducks and geese. To produce it, at 12 weeks old the birds are restrained and grain is forced down the throat through a pipe, a process that often results in physical injury. A massive quantity of food is forced into the birds, so that their livers are swollen to 6-10 times normal size; which makes movement and breathing difficult, as well as causing other health problems. EU research shows that force feeding leads to severe liver damage, great pain, and high mortality rates.The force-feeding of geese is already explicitly outlawed in many countries. UK law is inconsistent: existing animal cruelty laws prohibit production in the UK; but as the sale is still permitted, birds still suffer to satisfy UK demand, albeit in other countries, as the foie gras is imported.

Please ask your friends, family and colleagues to sign too - and please feel free to cross-post.

Yours for animals' rights

Max Newton
Campaigns Co-ordinator
Uncaged Campaigns

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version