Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

cat flap training

(1/3) > >>

Em:
Is it a see-through flap? My boys started off years ago with a cheap £10 one that you couldn't see through and they hated it cos, especially in a multicat or cat/dog household, you never know what's on the other side. When I swapped it for a transparent one they were a lot happier - and now that they've got one for big cats they're even happier (although Sammy still has panic attacks and sits there 'boxing' it :rofl:)

'Course, the disadvantage of a see-through one is that you can see what's on the other side - Charley sometimes ambushes one of the boys as they're about to come in and whacks the flap so it hits them in the face. Which is one of many reasons why we also call her 'thug' - another being her tendency to shout what sounds suspiciously like 'haayaa!' just before she bounces one of the boys...

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a cat flap that has a good strong magnet? Our back door faces south-east and when it's windy outside the cat flap is pretty much permanently open at a 45 degree angle...brrrr...

under the paw:
Happily it looks like the little feral is starting to believe she will be let in and out when she asks, so has started coming in in the morning when called  - its not solving the cat flap problem, but it's saving me from worrying too much.  Bit of a break through on her trust as well, last night she actually got the string herself and insisted on playing so it looks like I've been elevated to chief cat toy.  You never know, in a few years I may even be tolerated.

Rosella moggy:
Snap Gill!  We also built a little wooden box outside the catflap as a step up for the boys years ago which is still there. Grubby but doing the trick!

Gill (sneakiefeline):
My sorta semi feral Sasa will only use the flap if I am not around and it takes her a couple of goes to get out. But as she is scared of people she will not come in or out if I am near or there is an unknown person in the house.

I also have had to build the step up out side cos she has quite short legs so this was making iit too hard to get in. I tried putting a step up inside cos she has a prob but then used to go round the side of that.......silly Sasa!!

I thought last year she could not use the flap by herself and maybe followed Misa in and out but discovered when she broke through the flap when I tried to keep her in at night, that she could go both ways!

Ela:

--- Quote ---learn it eventually -
--- End quote ---

Tasmin was in care for 5 years until she found a home, she was in my largest outdoor pen 15'  x  6' or 7' she had a sun bed and everything she needed for a comfortable life. Attached to the end were her sleeping quarters, access in the day by door open however at night to make it more comfy I liked to close the door and for Tasmin to use the cat flap, she never did learn the art and I always had to prop it open with a brick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version