Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Help - being mauled to death!

(1/4) > >>

Rosella moggy:
Hi Debbie

Sam is of course a stunner too and aren't you pleased the tabby bit is partly his ears so as not to worry about him being in the sun.  Freddie aka Mr Piddly Monster (when the mood takes him) is completely exhausting and as loveable as they come.

I'm sure like us you feel lucky to have Sam around and I really think a wiggly waggler would be a welcome toy for Christmas. A word of warning, Freddie was initially terrified of them, then bored with them and now besotted with them so patience is the key!

Debbie:
Thank you again for your replies, its nice to know I am not on my own with this. 

The past few days he has not been so bad, although I have been trying a few things suggested on the sites posted.

I am not sure of his age but the rescue said the previous owner said he was 5 months old but they thought he was older.  Oh and the previous owner also said he was a female?!  He was called Kitty.  Bless him, he must have been having an identity crises.  Just glad they noticed before his op...

Rosella I remember seeing a picture of your Freddie on Catchat, he is a stunner.  My Sam is tabby and white also, so they have a little bit in common.

No doubt I will be here posting again soon.

Claire M:
My boy Felix sometimes likes to sink his teeth into me,for no apparent reason,but I think it's because of when he was a kitten,he was tormented by the 2 little boys of the family he was with and had started to bite and scratch in self defence,that's why he ended up at the cat rescue,but their loss my gain I say! He has his mad turns too,runs all around the house,then sits and stares at me,the tail going like a helicopter blade,then attacks!! I think it's just his personality.Don't really have any advice,just wanted you to know you are not alone!!  :Crazy: love,Claire and Felix x

Rosella moggy:
Hi again Debbie

Apart from the fact that Freddie not terribly keen to go out, Sam's behavior is pretty much the same as Freddie and Freddie is in a house with 2 other sane, quiet cats with access to outdoors.  10 weeks in and he is a crazy boy but he just loves his wiggly waggly so suggest you hunt for some on the cat auction. 

Sounds to me like the laser pointer thingy is doing the trick at the mo.  I am sooo pleased as I am pretending at the mo that I can't afford to up the bid on the cat auction one as I have one in my sights  :sneaky: for Freddie monster. 

I think Sam just needs to learn to play safely which is just a matter of time. He's only been with you 2 weeks and I still think it's early days with Freddie at 10 weeks.  In fact our little man Billy (I bow to you most beautiful of all creatures) is so completely different to when he arrived in May.

Dont want to cast nasturtiums but how sure are you of Sam's age?  I think maybe the older the cat the more ingrained the earlier behaviour especially around the 2 year mark for unneutered boys. Freddie was 5 and only just neutered so I think we have  a bit of a wait before he calms down.

Best of luck

Honestly things will look so different in just a fortnight. You'll see.

Debbie:
Hi

Thank you for your replies in trying to help with Sam.  

It's just me that lives here with Sam, no young children although as previously stated, he lived with children before but no other cats and the rescue said he didnt seem that keen on other cats while he was there. I try to give him his own space but balance it with playtime and cuddles.  I mainly notice this behaviour in the evening, whether I have just finished playing with him or not, he seems to have a strange period of time darting about the place, scrabbling up my furniture with claws out, ears backwards and tail all kinked.  His eyes are wide too and he clamps onto anything that moves.  I cannot work out if he wants to play, is frustrated, excited or what.  Sometimes when he attacks me he has been purring and allowing me to stoke him, he is very affectionate and nudges his nose under my hand when he wants to be stroked.  He is never hungry when he reacts in this way as he eats at tea time and is always super affectionate at those times to get what he wants!

I just want to get it right at the start really and not sure if I am to leave him to calm down or I should be taking action i.e. when he scales up sofas put him down again or ignore him?

He is wanting to go out and the links to those sites people posted below said sometimes that is what calms some cats down as they have too much energy to ever tire if you played with them for hours.

I have just played with him with his laser pen and he is worn out.  I combined it with the occasional treat that I shone the light on and he seemed to enjoy this game.  My hands and feet remained scratch free too. Another favourite toy is a fluffy feather thing with a ball attached (he pulled it off the long stick the first day I got it) I never intentionally tease him but maybe these toys are not appropriate?

Any further advice is most welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version