Author Topic: Fur balls - being sick  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Fur balls - being sick
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 14:38:49 PM »
Glad they like it :)

Alice used to love hers so much that if I stopped brushing her, she would push her face against it. Laz was the same and now Domino is a big fan.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
Mark, I just wanted to say that the cats both love the brush you recommended it's their favourite now. They already have the zoom brush but don't like it very much. Xander hasn't tried to be sick since my last post but I suppose it's not a time for fur balls at the moment. I'm trying to make sure I brush him more and see if that helps.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 17:08:11 PM »
Mark, that is adorable!  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 16:10:49 PM »
My cat-mad cousin, Jan, posted this link on Facebook today. Gives a good idea of how gentle the Mikki ball-pin slickers are  :Luv2: - this is the old style one. They have changed the design a bit, but very similar.

https://www.facebook.com/AwesomeAnimalRescues/videos/427133511007619/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

(I can't do a direct link to the video, only the page. It is the ginger kitten being brushed)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 16:15:23 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 23:30:29 PM »
I am sure that there are far better treatments now Mark, this was back in the '70's :shify:

Told you it was a long time ago :shify: :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 22:48:48 PM »
I had a quick read up yesterday and it said Liquid Paraffin isn't recommended for regular use, as apart from causing leaky bottom, it also prevent absorption of fat soluble vitamins.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 14:54:46 PM »
Ouchy Mark!

You are excused Paula  ;D

White soft paraffin is the basis of many ointments etc (that's basically what vaseline is)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 23:39:53 PM »
That is what it was, liquid paraffin, although not quite sure why it was called that as the paraffin we used in the horrid heaters was liquid too. In my defence it was an awfully long time ago. Sorry. :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 23:36:10 PM »
I think they might use liquid paraffin lots of katalax type things. I think it comes under different names, such as mineral oil.

My only experience of it personally, was when I was about 5 and decided it would be a good idea to slide down a children's slide with a broom handle in my mouth   :evillaugh: - I can still sort of remember it. It ripped the roof of my mouth open and as it was impossible to stitch, apparently the hospital washed my mouth out with liquid paraffin to stem the bleeding. I'm sure it could have been a lot worse!  :-[

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 23:48:27 PM »
Oh I remember liquid paraffin, I used it in the 80's on Havoc my long haired tabby cat who was prone to furballs. The first night I gave him about 2 teaspoons of it, he loved it and licked the plate clean. Unfortunately about an hour later, approx 1am in the morning, I woke up as he was bouncing around on my bed, did a huge wet fart, shot out of my bedroom, down the stairs, leaving a trail of oily poo on every other step!  :evillaugh: Methinks he had a bit too much liquid paraffin, so I cut it down to 1/2 teaspoon after that! :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 16:32:25 PM »
Paula, liquid paraffin (I presume this is what you mean?) was frequently used as a laxative.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 16:26:14 PM »
Never really had a problem with this, Emo just chucks up black fur 'sausages' despite having regular brushes, by Mum used to give my first cat was petroleum oil?????????? used to help though, apparently it greased it's way down, Fluffy didn't enjoy it, (not surprised having a teaspoon of that forced down your throat), way back then we didn't really groom our cats either, not properly, 1970's.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 18:13:23 PM »
Thanks Mark I will order one of those.

With the katalax do you give it as a one off when they seem to have a fur ball?

Gill yes, I was thinking of giving the vet a call but thought sometimes people on purrs have better ideas than the vets. Will give them a call though if he doesn't improve.

I HAD A GREAT.........................NOT.................EXPEIENCE WITH KATALAX !!

MINE DIDNT LIKE IT SO THOUGHT I WILL BE SUPER CLEVER, CANT REMEMBER WICH CAT, DEFINATELY NOT SASA SO THINK A BIRMAN, AND DECIDED THAT IF I PUT IT ON A LEG THEY WOULD LICK IT OFF TO GET CLEAN.

DID HE HELL!

HE WIPED IT OFF ON WALLS, FURNITURE AND ANYWHERE HE COULD, NASTY STICKY BROWN STUFF COVERED IN FUR EVERYWHERE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES BIRMANS AR TOO CLEVER BY HALF!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 14:46:26 PM »

We used to put cid liver oil on Holly's food when she had furballs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 14:15:35 PM »
MY LATE DUCHA ALWAYS EVACUATED HIS FUR BALLS THIS WAY WITH NO HELP!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:07 AM »
lol must say I've never seen the outcome!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 22:26:52 PM »
when my cat/s have Katalax i give them some in the morning and then the evening for about 2-3 days till they pass the hairball through. Normally comes out as a huge hairy poo :evillaugh:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 18:07:41 PM »
Thanks Mark I will order one of those.

With the katalax do you give it as a one off when they seem to have a fur ball?

Gill yes, I was thinking of giving the vet a call but thought sometimes people on purrs have better ideas than the vets. Will give them a call though if he doesn't improve.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
I find that using a ball pin slicker to minimise the amount of fur ingested can help. Zoom grooms also get a lot of loose fur out, but you tend to get a 'candy floss' of fur.

I think these are the best things ever. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-Ball-Slicker-Sensitive-Small/dp/B00N0Y2DC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480330660&sr=8-1&keywords=ball+in+slicker - I would only ever buy the small ones. I bought a medium once and it was too big for getting under chins etc. each wire has a tiny plastic bobble on the end, so it doesn't scratch them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:06:47 AM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:20 AM »
our vet gives us katalax for star or we sometimes buy a small bag of the royal canin furball dry food which sorts her out

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:46:11 AM »
DONT THINK LAXATIVES ARE THE WAY TO GO COS THESE WILL BE HIGH UP IN THE SYSTEM AND BEING SICK IS A WAY OF TRYING TO BRING THEM UP.

YOU COULD ASK WHAT YOUR VET RECOMMENDS

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 23:28:44 PM »
have you tried Katalax? my cats love it. if they wont eat it, just smear it on their paw and they will lick it off.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Fur balls - being sick
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 22:01:30 PM »
 Xander is having problems with furballs. He takes ages to bring them up and seems to be sick every other week he just brings up food and liquid. He has grass and I was giving him malt paste which I think used to help but he will no longer eat it. Has anyone tried the cat laxatives. Or any ideas what else I can try? I usually brush him a couple of times a week as well.

Link to CatChat